Pirelli P Zero TLR tubeless

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
nikospeed

by nikospeed

Hey thanks a lot - that's great news. Have to check where to get them on mainland Europe...

Luca199

by Luca199

Hi everyone, I've just got a pair of 26mm Pirelli P Zero Race TLR (standard version, not SL), mounted on a 19 mm rim (bora ultra wto 45).

Do you trust the Pirelli recommended pressure chart? They seem to be very high.... I'm 83kg, and for my rim width I should use 98 psi... :O
Seems like a crazy lot, as if I was running tubes.. should I stay around 80-85-90? If you have tried Pirelli's pressure, how have you found them?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

I have about 500km on a set of TLR SLs (24mm) on my XXX4/XXX6 set, with 20mm internal rim width: they inflate to 26mm on that setup at the widest point. Absolutely love them so far, but this is speaking from someone who was previously running GP5k TLs with tubes inside, so some of my experience might be chalked up to that I ditched the tubes and running lower pressure now. That said, I love the way they roll, I love the way they corner, and I'm just as confident with these as with the GP5k TLs.

I have a Bora WTO 45 set I plan on putting 24mms on as well, so we'll see if the narrower internal width leads to a narrower tire width.
'22 Orbea Orca Aero 57cm, DA92, Bontrager RSL62, GP5KSTR 28mm, Roval Rapide Cockpit, SLR Superflow Carbonio, 7.8kg

tbabut

by tbabut

I am still running my Race TLR (not SL) tubeless on my DT Swiss wheels for about one year now without any issues, flats whatsoever. And I am also thinking they are pretty much perfect overall.

@artifactsinmotion You're running the SLs, which I would be eager to try out. But how much speed and feel would I gain, and how much protection would I lose then.

Pracislaw

by Pracislaw

About this tyre and hookless rims:Image

it is about the resistance of the rim to the applied pressure

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

tbabut wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:50 pm
I am still running my Race TLR (not SL) tubeless on my DT Swiss wheels for about one year now without any issues, flats whatsoever. And I am also thinking they are pretty much perfect overall.

@artifactsinmotion You're running the SLs, which I would be eager to try out. But how much speed and feel would I gain, and how much protection would I lose then.
Hard to tell without back-to-back comparison. I'll probably go in order of annoyance and assumption of speed: I'll go for an assumed "slower" tire when the annoyances of a "faster" tire becomes too much to bare.
'22 Orbea Orca Aero 57cm, DA92, Bontrager RSL62, GP5KSTR 28mm, Roval Rapide Cockpit, SLR Superflow Carbonio, 7.8kg

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

Note with the TLR SLs: despite the tread appearing symmetrical/non-directional, and these tires are infact VERY directional. I had just swapped to a new set of wheels and was surprised with how sluggish they felt. Sure enough the rear tire was on backwards. After flipping around (and tubeless sealant everywhere) felt markedly better, just like the last set of wheels. Definitely check that tiny triangle arrow to be sure!

Taiyoto

by Taiyoto

Today I just test the Pirelli Zero TLR, first impression:
1. Road feeling very good, very comfortable
2. Speed are really good, very fast reaction
3. Climbing are so comfortable than the Maxxis High Road.
4. The descent are very stable.
For tubeless, It is more better than Giant Gavia tubeless, and very similar than Cadex tubeless tire

Tofast

by Tofast

I just bought zipp 303 firecrest and the idea was to use pirelli p zero race TLR 28 mm but are they approved for an inner rim width of 25 mm?

Benji86

by Benji86

wongp wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:55 pm
I've got WTO 45 wheels which is specc'ed at 26.5mm external rim.

Should I be running 26 or 28mm? What's are people's thoughts?
i am running same setup... i went with the 28mm size. no issues.

timbo43x

by timbo43x

Tofast wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:10 am
I just bought zipp 303 firecrest and the idea was to use pirelli p zero race TLR 28 mm but are they approved for an inner rim width of 25 mm?
I've been running them for a couple of days on 303S wheels (23mm internal width). They feel great, but I share the same concerns as you because the boxing and Pirelli website don't state anything about wider tyres. Additionally, the SRAM pressure calculator says I should be running the 28mm at 58-60psi. The tyres state min pressure of 65psi, whilst the wheels are max pressure of 73psi - this margin feels too tight and I wonder if Pirelli are up to date on the lower pressure values that should be acceptable for a wider rim profile.

Appreciate any advice on whether I am risking running them below the 65psi min pressure despite them being ETRTO approved for hookless rims on the 28mm profile. It's all so confusing...

zaykay

by zaykay

zipp 303 firecrests here with 28mm p zero tlr and they are perfect match in every possible way. Tire/rim interface is really smooth and real tire width is about 1mm less than rim external width (29mm vs 30mm). Even the tire labels match the rims stickers! I have been using 56 psi front 58 psi back and they feel excellent.

justRideIt

by justRideIt

Been running the Pirelli P-Zero TLR in lightweight SL, 26mm version for 300 km on tarmac.
Mounted on Roval CLX 50. No issues to get them mounted. Used the center channel to get it onto the rim and compressed air to get it inflated quickly. Then removed the valve core and injected Stan's sealant with a syringe through the valve stem.
Tire pressure acc. to manufacturer specification, i.e. 70 PSI for my body weight and tubeless setup.

The sidewalls start to crack.
This shows 360° all around the tire. Both left and right sidewall, both front and rear tire.

Do not want to bomb down descents in tubeless setup with them like that.
If a crack expands over time, then all of a sudden rips, then air escapes very rapidly. This is quite different from a puncture with a pointy hole, which the sealant may (or may not) seal.

Already somebody mentioned the same issue in a 2-star review on bike24:
https://www.bike24.de/p1388185.html

I also bought at bike24 and filed a claim.

Very disappointed that Pirelli releases such an unreliable product onto the market.
I do not want to further risk crashing while beta testing these tubeless tires for Pirelli.

2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Disc @ 6.35-ish kg: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=159454
2021 Specialized Diverge viewtopic.php?f=10&t=165482

Noro

by Noro

zaykay wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:00 am
zipp 303 firecrests here with 28mm p zero tlr and they are perfect match in every possible way. Tire/rim interface is really smooth and real tire width is about 1mm less than rim external width (29mm vs 30mm). Even the tire labels match the rims stickers! I have been using 56 psi front 58 psi back and they feel excellent.
Is that so? I am happy they are working for you.

I have the Zipp 303 FC Hookless and I've used:

* Schwalbe One TLR 28mm (excellent in terms of rolling resistance and puncture protection, extremely painful to mount)
* Continental GP 5000 S TR 30mm (the best in the rain by a good margin, the most fragile tyre I had, 2 pairs punctures in the first and second ride respectively, easy to mount without any tool)
* Pirelli P Zero TLR 28mm (easy to mount, no tools needed, but here is the thing: they look much more narrower than my other tires. I've managed to inflate it with a a normal floor pump but I've only managed to hear one bump from the seating into the bead of the rim, at 5 Bar air was scaping very slowly through the bead of the rim - My guess is t hat it didn't seat properly but the marks around the tire were aligned)

I am scare of ride them. How are they still going for you?

zaykay

by zaykay

Noro wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:22 pm
zaykay wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:00 am
Is that so? I am happy they are working for you.

I have the Zipp 303 FC Hookless and I've used:

* Schwalbe One TLR 28mm (excellent in terms of rolling resistance and puncture protection, extremely painful to mount)
* Continental GP 5000 S TR 30mm (the best in the rain by a good margin, the most fragile tyre I had, 2 pairs punctures in the first and second ride respectively, easy to mount without any tool)
* Pirelli P Zero TLR 28mm (easy to mount, no tools needed, but here is the thing: they look much more narrower than my other tires. I've managed to inflate it with a a normal floor pump but I've only managed to hear one bump from the seating into the bead of the rim, at 5 Bar air was scaping very slowly through the bead of the rim - My guess is t hat it didn't seat properly but the marks around the tire were aligned)

I am scare of ride them. How are they still going for you?
Rode around 600km without issues before gravel season started and now have 303's on my gravel bike with GK SS tires.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com