Pirelli P Zero TLR tubeless

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
riochang

by riochang

I have just purchased a pair of these based on several reviews and first looks.
The version I've got are the 700x26c TLR SL ones, actual weight for the pair is 245g and 250g.

All media reviews and even Pirelli themselves said these are "hookless" compatible, yet there's a writing on the tire sidewall that says "DO NOT fit hook-less rims"....... :shock: :shock:
What should I do? I was planning to install them on zipp 303s hookless wheels, should I ignore those writings...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robeambro

by robeambro

riochang wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:16 pm
I have just purchased a pair of these based on several reviews and first looks.
The version I've got are the 700x26c TLR SL ones, actual weight for the pair is 245g and 250g.

All media reviews and even Pirelli themselves said these are "hookless" compatible, yet there's a writing on the tire sidewall that says "DO NOT fit hook-less rims"....... :shock: :shock:
What should I do? I was planning to install them on zipp 303s hookless wheels, should I ignore those writings...
]
Asking Pirelli sounds like the best course of action..

tbabut

by tbabut

Today I've mounted the new Pirelli P Zero Race TLR 26 (not SL) on my DT Swiss PR 1400 rims with 18mm internal width. They came up fully inflated to almost exactly 26mm width. So it fits perfectly in my Tarmac SL5 frame. Mounting them was a Kinderspiel (very easy by hand without any tools), also using standard floor pump only. The tires look amazing by the way.

I am using Stan's Race sealant for the first time. Before that I had Joe's Road Racing sealant and was very happy with it (was running Schwalbe Pro One TLE Addix 28mm 2020 before).

I also like the fact, that Pirelli is giving us the real measurements to be expected on different rim widths and recommends pressures for different rims, tire sizes, use case and so on, too.

Now a few hours later after the first 66km they measure about 26,4mm. I have had no air loss at all and was running 90psi and 50-60ml of sealant. Next time I will lower the pressure a little bit.

First ride impressions are very good. It rolls fine, is comfy and corners with good confidence. Overall I would say it's a better tire than the new Schwalbe Pro One TLE Addix 2020, which I was running with 28mm width before.

But there is one thing which still bothers me. ;) For a few days I was running the S-Works Turbo tires with 26mm width and Vittoria latex tubes. And these combo has impressed me a lot. Rolling and comfort seemed to be even better than any tubeless tire I have yet ridden. May be it's a good thing, that I have never bought a pair of Turbo Cottons. I guess with latex tubes they must be amazing. My only concern was the heat generated from the rim brakes in conjunction with latex tubes.

But at the end of the day I think tubeless is the way to go.

tbabut

by tbabut

So another ride and further impressions. Tires hold air really well. Pressure has dropped to 85psi two days later, which is almost nothing in my view. I like the tires very much and have nothing to complain about, yet. Next time I will try a little less pressure probably.

tbabut

by tbabut

Hmm, after euphoric 140km I am worried. The seam/stitching is visible around the whole tires at front and rear and I don't know how to take this.
Attachments
IMG_3365.jpeg
IMG_3367.jpeg
IMG_3369.jpeg

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

There's no stitching...it's a vulcanized tire. So that's where the casing wraps around the bead and is bonded to itself, by the looks of it.

MikeD

by MikeD

Does Pirelli make these tires or do they contract out with another company like Vittoria or IRC?

Is that crazing in the sidewall at the chafer strip I see?

PlumzRichard

by PlumzRichard

Tyres are compatable with hookless rims but the first few batches will say on the tyre that they are not. Basically at the time of producing the first few batch's they didnt have the permission to call them as "compatable with Hookless" however come launch date they did. Hence the confussion.

to confirm all TLR and TLR SL are hookless compatable despite what it says on the tyres...

Hexsense

by Hexsense

MikeD wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:45 pm
Does Pirelli make these tires or do they contract out with another company like Vittoria or IRC?

Is that crazing in the sidewall at the chafer strip I see?
Prior version were made by Hutchinson, using Pirelli's rubber compound.
I assume the same is true for this updated version.

I'm waiting to hear experience from more users. What I especially like to know is whether P Zero Race TLR SL is actually have less grip in wet than non SL version or not. Pirelli says they have the same rubber compound but SL version doesn't have puncture protection layer and have different tread pattern. That shouldn't reduce wet grip, yet pirelli's chart rate them lower in wet grip.

tbabut

by tbabut

After 1000km I am still very satisfied with the tires. There have been no puctures, tires are airtight and have good grip.

But there is one thing I mentioned earlier in this thread. Take a look at the attached photos, please. The threads are coming off the sidewalls like I have seen with Continental GP 5000 tires or is it something completely different? And is it something to worry about?
Attachments
IMG_3497.jpeg
IMG_3498.jpeg
IMG_3499.jpeg

TribesMan

by TribesMan

I have seen this happen on all Conti tires that I used in the past (GP4000...).
And from my experience this loose threads start to appear after some kind of degreaser or cleaning liquid comes in contact with the tire.
On my latest pair of GP5000 I have been very cautious not to apply anything on the tire except water, and after 8000km no loose threads visible... 🤷‍♂️

alanyu

by alanyu

My GP5k TL started this losing thread after 1500~2000km, but only a tiny thread each tire and the rubber wasn't splitted into two parts.

kevinw

by kevinw

Shame about the strings - that is my main gripe with my current GP5k tyres.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:56 pm
There's no stitching...it's a vulcanized tire. So that's where the casing wraps around the bead and is bonded to itself, by the looks of it.
Have you tired Pirelli's or have plan to try in the future? I have ridden velo 4s and Cinurato when i was touring around and had quite good experience with them. I would be quite interested to see your opinion on these comparing to goodyear F1ss and veloflex corsa TLR. :beerchug:
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

WorkonSunday wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:37 pm

Have you tired Pirelli's or have plan to try in the future? I have ridden velo 4s and Cinurato when i was touring around and had quite good experience with them. I would be quite interested to see your opinion on these comparing to goodyear F1ss and veloflex corsa TLR. :beerchug:

I bought some, but I’m really pleased with the Goodyears and don’t know when the Pirellis will get mounted. As you know, I was less than impressed with the Veloflexes for various reasons.