Veloflex enters the tubeless market

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
bobinski

by bobinski

As an update both tyres seated and holding air after tubeless tape replaced with 21mm wide muc off tape. That extra 2 mm over the old tape seems to have made the difference. I am sure other brands will work fine too.

fogman

by fogman

According to Veloflex, they only recommend the following sealants:

•Joe’s no flats – Super Sealant
•Mavic – Tire Sealant
•Stan’s no tubes – Tire Sealant
•Orange Seal - Regular Sealant (only for clinchers with black sidewalls)

https://www.veloflex.it/en/blog/post/tu ... cles-tires

I am using Stan’s with no issues so far. I do experience the sticky sidewalls as described above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

fogman wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:06 pm

I am using Stan’s with no issues so far. I do experience the sticky sidewalls as described above.

I'm convinced some people just aren't very observant. If it's happening to a tire with Orange Seal, it's going to happen to tires with other sealants. In my testing with paper cups, Orange Seal seeped the least into the paper. Muc-Off was also OK in this regard.

The tire casings not only get slightly sticky to the touch, they start to collect dirt and develop a slight sheen.

bobinski

by bobinski

A brief update as I come to the end of 500 km of riding and 7500m of climbing. These tyres at 80 and 85psi are the most comfortable tyres I have ever used. I usually wear mitts but the temperature is 35-39 degrees here in the Vercors and so I have ridden without and with no discomfort. They seems at least as fast as any other I have tried but it's the comfort that has impressed. Lovely tyres.
Attachments
C899CB38-7A19-4CA4-A3DD-A62C4F9871CE.jpeg

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

I currently have Pirelli P zero's TLR but 28mm is sold out on so many places, friend of mine was riding the Veloflex Evo's so willing to give them a go. In the above post, they suggest running the regular version of orange seal. I've been running endurance version since starting tubeless and no problems. Anyone running veloflex en the endurance version of orange sealant? Any issues?

Anyone that has hidden both Pirelli and Veloflex and can compare the 2?

g00se

by g00se

MrRolandos wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:20 am
I've ridden both in 25s. Currently on the Pirellis. I would say the Pirellis are more reliable and safe (as in predicable quality). The road feel of the Veloflexes was much more like old Veloflexes with latex tubes but they did feel fragile - especially the sidewalls. The sidewalls were quite porous too - and always deflated slowly - much more than other tubless-ready tyres I've used (Schwalbe, Hutchison, IRC, Pirelli). The Pirellis hold air better but feel less special - though fast. Both have excellent grip.

But to be honest. I'll probably stick with the Pirellis - I destroyed a rim and a new Veloflex on steel-rimmed gutter because I was running low pressure and the sidewalls collapsed. That may have happened on other tyres - but I just always felt a little up against it with the Veloflexes.

As an aside, I found the IRCs the most like the Veloflexes in ride feel.

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

g00se wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:31 am
MrRolandos wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:20 am
I've ridden both in 25s. Currently on the Pirellis. I would say the Pirellis are more reliable and safe (as in predicable quality). The road feel of the Veloflexes was much more like old Veloflexes with latex tubes but they did feel fragile - especially the sidewalls. The sidewalls were quite porous too - and always deflated slowly - much more than other tubless-ready tyres I've used (Schwalbe, Hutchison, IRC, Pirelli). The Pirellis hold air better but feel less special - though fast. Both have excellent grip.

But to be honest. I'll probably stick with the Pirellis - I destroyed a rim and a new Veloflex on steel-rimmed gutter because I was running low pressure and the sidewalls collapsed. That may have happened on other tyres - but I just always felt a little up against it with the Veloflexes.

As an aside, I found the IRCs the most like the Veloflexes in ride feel.
Yeah I see, that's kinda what I'm finding online. The regular TLR Pirelli has been sold out or ridicilous expensive. Found the SL for a good price but that seems like a worse deal. Ordered Schwalbe Pro One, let's see how I like those. Cottons seemed interesting to me, but the reviews scare me away.

g00se

by g00se

I'm not sure where you're based, but I got them from https://www.lordgunbicycles.co.uk/ - despite the UK domain, they're based in Spain but delivery was very quick - and £45 a tyre (compared to £60 elsewhere). Only the 26 version available with brown sidewalls left though.

Aeo

by Aeo

Challenge Criterium RS https://www.challengetires.com/news/int ... iterium-rs
The new Challenge Criterium RS comes in 25 & 27mm widths in hookless-compatible tubeless or conventional tubulars and in black or white sidewalls. Claimed weight of 225g per 25mm tire, 260g per 27mm and a retail price of $95 / 85€ with availability from October 2022.
Weight-wise very close/identical to the Veloflex, same Zylon compound in the bead.
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

alanyu

by alanyu

Aeo wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:40 pm
The new Challenge Criterium RS comes in 25 & 27mm widths in hookless-compatible tubeless or conventional tubulars and in black or white sidewalls. Claimed weight of 225g per 25mm tire, 260g per 27mm and a retail price of $95 / 85€ with availability from October 2022.
Weight-wise very close/identical to the Veloflex, same Zylon compound in the bead.
I will buy thier tire when they can be pumped up w/ a floor pump.

eugenefirestone

by eugenefirestone

Do anyone have a picture of the 28mm on an ID 25mm rim? Like Enve AR or light bicycle WR series?

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

alanyu wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:52 am
Aeo wrote:
The issue with Challenge tires isn't being able to pump up with a floor pump, it's how to get it on the rim in the first place. Ask me how i know... :x

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

yinzerniner wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:14 pm
alanyu wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:52 am
Aeo wrote:
The issue with Challenge tires isn't being able to pump up with a floor pump, it's how to get it on the rim in the first place. Ask me how i know... :x

Oddly I just put some 40mm Strada Biancas on my 202 NSWs and they went on without much of a problem. I did use a lever for the final unmounted portion, but it wasn’t as tough as I remembered.

They also seated with a floor pump.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Has anyone gathered real world experience with the Veloflex Record TLR?
They are around 30g heavier than the 25mm clincher version, and are only airtight with sealant inside (and apparently not compatible with most sealants).
I am wondering if they are an actual option for TT, or just as flimsy and frail as the clinchers (which were gone after one emergency braking at 45kph).
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

mrlobber

by mrlobber

No experience directly with the Record TLR's.
However, the 2020 Records held up surprisingly fine for me - 600km without issues. After the mentioned mileage, they look like this: https://photos.app.goo.gl/vLthfJN9o8McMw1x7
However, if TLR, then my choice would remain Corsa Speeds (2500km on them with 1 front puncture so far). The Records didn't seem to be any faster for me, and with the changes Veloflex have made to them in recent years, it is really confusing to understand, which version you're actually buying.

Emergency braking from 40+ kph likely is going to destroy any fast tire. In my recent experience this year, GP5000TL rear was instantly worn down to the casing after a garbage truck pulled in front of me in the city (my speed around 25 kph), and had to be binned at 6000km, another GP5000TL from the same purchase is still going fine at 9000km for me. A Specialized 28mm HellOfTheNorth tub was completely destroyed in a single emergency maneuvering during a road race crash at 45kph.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com