Veloflex enters the tubeless market

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
tonytourist

by tonytourist

My Corsa TLRs have been great on my Zipp 454s, 0 issues. I did just cut a brand new one on something sharp on Saturday but that would have done any tire in. I'm either buying another wheel set for my Crux or doing a different road build and I'll plan on trying the 32s out.

caad4rep

by caad4rep

I'm considering getting some veloflex corsa tubeless because most of the reviews I've read make them sound pretty good. I've been a fairly serious cyclist for almost 30 years and have never once had a sidewall problem on a road bike. My typical training roads are just endless chipseal.

For the people having sidewall issues, what's the cause? Are you riding rough roads with lots of debris? Gravel? Or are the sidewalls just super fragile and don't hold up over time?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

Has anyone here tried the 32mm? Any hope the sidewalls are less garbage than the smaller sizes?

RDY

by RDY

RDY wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:11 pm
Has anyone here tried the 32mm? Any hope the sidewalls are less garbage than the smaller sizes?
FWIW I got the 32mm Veloflex Corsa Evo TLR added to BRR member voting. I think it'd be useful to eventually have a comparison between it, the 32 S TR, AS TR, Agilest, and NEXT.
Last edited by RDY on Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

caballero wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:29 am
These veloflex corsa tor tires are absolute rubbish.
5 tires, all 28mm gum walls. Took forever to seat the beads, needed around 80ml of sealant in each tyre and needed to be pumped up over and over every 20minutes or so over the first 1-2 days. Sealant bubbling out of the sidewalls all round.
Now they are unable to hold pressure more than a few hours and are totally flat with sealant leaking out the beads.

In the mean time my Vittoria corsas, one pros and various panaracers all hold pressure for weeks.

Ride on the veloflex is supreme. But quality is pure garbage.
This means nothing without the details.
  • Rims/Wheels - Make & model
    Rim tape - Make & Width
    Sealant - Make & Type
    Valves - Make & model
I'have several pairs of Corsa TLR Gum wall and have a different experience. They were a little tough to get on to the rims and required a compressor to seat. At forst they did weep a little but I added the sealant 20-30ml at a time and put them on one side at a time until I had the insides coated properly. Once they'd settled they were fine. I had to top them up about the same way as one does with decent tubs. I'm riding on a pair that were topped up with air on a Wednesday, flown with on the Friday and they were fine to ride on Sunday. Havent touched them since and rode them Saturday too. No issues. This is the setup I have -
  • Mavic Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL UST
    Mavic 25mm UST Tape
    Mavic Sealant (60-70ml)
    Mavic UST Valves
Veloflex have lighter sidewalls that give the better ride, but that necessitates more maintenance. Vittoria, Schwalbe & Panaracer have thicker sides making them less supple but less needy too. Choose what is more important, ride or maintenance. I presume you have never owned latex tubed tubs?

parajba

by parajba

I would like to try the Veloflex Corsa Evo TLR size 28 with tan walls on my Venge for fast chain gangs and alpine grand fondos, such as the Maratona.

Am coming from Conti GP5000 TL size 25.

Wheels are Roval CLX50.

1) according to bike rolling resistance (seems the only website that tests and measures RR), the Conti are faster. But does this translate in real world faster speed actually? Riding outdoor is an imperfect science, the bumps and irregularities in the surface and the ability of the tyre to deform and absorbe them surely must account for something? Not sure how the RR takes that into account if the test is done in a lab, on a smooth surface, without rider.

2) I know it's probably coincidental, but any experiences of how strong the Veloflex are particularly on UK roads? The Conti GP5000 TL have served me very well over 3 years.

3) are they as reliable as the Conti? Construction wise. Need 100% reliability for those alpine descents.

Thanks!

polpy

by polpy

parajba wrote:I would like to try the Veloflex Corsa Evo TLR size 28 with tan walls on my Venge for fast chain gangs and alpine grand fondos, such as the Maratona.

Am coming from Conti GP5000 TL size 25.

Wheels are Roval CLX50.

1) according to bike rolling resistance (seems the only website that tests and measures RR), the Conti are faster. But does this translate in real world faster speed actually? Riding outdoor is an imperfect science, the bumps and irregularities in the surface and the ability of the tyre to deform and absorbe them surely must account for something? Not sure how the RR takes that into account if the test is done in a lab, on a smooth surface, without rider.

2) I know it's probably coincidental, but any experiences of how strong the Veloflex are particularly on UK roads? The Conti GP5000 TL have served me very well over 3 years.

3) are they as reliable as the Conti? Construction wise. Need 100% reliability for those alpine descents.

Thanks!
I had them on my enve 3.4ar last summer during multiple races in the alps and they worked very good. I had no puncture, where on my pro ones i would have had at least 5 in the same tlme. The tan wall gets dirty fast, so clean them often.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

parajba wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:35 am
I also wonder how realistic these tests are. Unfortunately I only have Mavic Yksion Pro UST tyres to compare the Corsa TLR tyres to. The Veloflex tyres feel appreciably faster and more comfortable than the Mavic, despite the data on BRR suggesting the opposite, so I have to wonder if BRR's data tranlates to the real world.
After 3 months of riding in Italy, I have recently returned to the UK and am amazed at how the condition of the roads has deteriorated. The tarmac here was always rough, but the number of potholes is next level. I can see why 28C or bigger is derigeur these days!
No problem on descents in the Dolomites.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

parajba wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:35 am
It has been covered numerous times that rolling resistance lab tests approximate rolling resistance differences in real life very well, i.e., a faster rolling tyre in the lab is going to be a faster tyre on the road too, by a pretty close proportion. If you want a nerdy discussion which takes hours to read, head over to slowtwitch, for instance. Note that this doesn't say anything about "comfort" and other things, which you cannot reliably measure (but which could be prioritized by many individuals), while rolling resistance you can.

While I still personally rate Veloflex tubs very high, this unfortunately doesn't apply to their TLR tyres, see before in this thread for numerous documented issues on weeping sidewalls etc.. For daily rolling resistance, I'd prioritise Conti and/or Michelin Power Cup (the latter only if you do not do any really aggressive cornering), for grip in the mountains (especially given the risk of wet roads) - Vittoria Corsa.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

RDY

by RDY

One data point. Mounted Corsa Evo TLR 32 tan walls on Nextie ARX 60/65 yesterday, with 50ml sealant and 15ml water. Zero sidewall weeping, only a bit of bubbling from under the bead initially. But after shaking it around a bit, then pumping up to 60psi again, fully sealed. More bubbling happened on the front than the rear (expected due to wider ID on rim). Also with PTN inserts and PTN valves.

timmerrr

by timmerrr

RDY wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:11 pm
I have about 4,000 miles including about 3-400 miles of light gravel on a set and they are just fine. Not a single cut, sidewalls are in perfect shape. Only thing I have had to do is add sealant after the first 2.5 months.
State Bicycle Co. Undefeated: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=171358

RDY

by RDY

RDY wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:57 am
One data point. Mounted Corsa Evo TLR 32 tan walls on Nextie ARX 60/65 yesterday, with 50ml sealant and 15ml water. Zero sidewall weeping, only a bit of bubbling from under the bead initially. But after shaking it around a bit, then pumping up to 60psi again, fully sealed. More bubbling happened on the front than the rear (expected due to wider ID on rim). Also with PTN inserts and PTN valves.
Update:

On the second or third day (I forget which), they began weeping like a kid with a broken toy. After 7 days I added another 20ml sealant / 15ml water to each as they were losing air rapidly and most likely dry. Holding air well and most of the sidewall leakage is over now. But they're a mess from the leakage. They feel much quicker than the smaller size's measured RR would suggest. They also feel pretty supple; not as much as Enve SES (Tufo) or Vittorias and more so than S TRs**. No tread damage and no punctures at all despite a load of rocks, completely broken asphalt, rough chipseal, potholes and road debris on my first couple of rides. Bit sceptical of the sidewalls though given how porous they are - if you rail corners they could be vulnerable. But tread width on these is more than adequate - unlike Corsa Pros and Power Cups.

**I've been using the Silca pressure calculator, but I feel like it's suggesting values that might be too high for these particular tires. I might drop them a few PSI (currently at 56 front, 58 rear).

nickf

by nickf

Do the black sidewall tires seal up better?

wltz

by wltz

I've been running tubeless Veloflex Corsas with cream sidewalls for a month now. Initial setup took about 6 rounds of reinflating to 80psi, rotating and leaving on the side to let the sealant form a protective layer over the sidewalls. I used 70ml of Joe's No Flats as recommended by Veloflex. After 300km they sealed up completely and are now holding air on par with Schwalbe Pro Ones they replaced, ie loosing 5-10psi a day.

I then topped up the sealant with Orange Seal, and there's been no seeping through the sidewalls. I think the trick is to achieve the initial airtight coating with a recommended sealant that doesn't seep (it will take some mileage and re-sealing through deformations from normal riding), then it's fine to use Orange which in my view is still the best stuff for actual punctures.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Elmersen

by Elmersen

I've had no problems with my Corsa Race TLRs. They did weap slightly initially when approaching 80 psi during set up, but no problems at 70-73 psi which I run normally. Using Orange seal. They need topping up air every ride, but that's what I normally do anyway.

Look almost new after 2000 km. No punctures. Only downside I see is that they probably are slightly slower than the fastest tyres according to BRR and aerocoach. And they needed a compressor to seat.