FARSPORTS DISC CARBON WHEELSET Test & Review

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Maddie

by Maddie

Newest far230 hubs have updated end caps for better bearing protection
ImageImage

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

George46GR

by George46GR

Good morning, what Farsports wheelset would you suggest for a new 2023 Cervelo S5 ? I intend to use Conti S TR tubeless tyres, 28mm at the rear and 25 mm in the front.
a) Hookless or hooked?
b) RD230 hubs or DT240, Carbon-Ti, etc?
c) 45mm deep, or more?
d) Are the Conti S TR suitable for hookless rims?
e) Are 21 spokes enough for a 82 kg rider and/or for sprinting ?

The Feder ones 45mm deep, hooked, 21 spokes per wheel, come at only 1210 gr that is excellent for a 45mm deep wheeset. Thanks a lot.

P.S. I could not fine tha weight of the 55mm deep (hookless rims)
2023 Cervelo S5, size 56, sapphire/ice

Nickldn

by Nickldn

George46GR wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:23 am
Good morning, what Farsports wheelset would you suggest for a new 2023 Cervelo S5 ? I intend to use Conti S TR tubeless tyres, 28mm at the rear and 25 mm in the front.
a) Hookless or hooked?
c) 45mm deep, or more?

The Feder ones 45mm deep, hooked, 21 spokes per wheel, come at only 1210 gr that is excellent for a 45mm deep wheeset. Thanks a lot.

Before providing suggestions it would be helpful to find out why you feel 45mm deep rims are a suitable match for your S5.

After all the S5 is one of the top aero frames currently available, with the additional weight to match, so low weight can't be your top priority

60mm+ rims seem to be a natural match for an aero frame like the S5 and will help with good aero at 20mph+. Why gimp the it with 45mm deep rims?
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

George46GR

by George46GR

Nickldn wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:54 am
George46GR wrote:
a) Hookless or hooked?
c) 45mm deep, or more?

Before providing suggestions it would be helpful to find out why you feel 45mm deep rims are a suitable match for your S5.

After all the S5 is one of the top aero frames currently available, with the additional weight to match, so low weight can't be your top priority

60mm+ rims seem to be a natural match for an aero frame like the S5 and will help with good aero at 20mph+. Why gimp the it with 45mm deep rims?
Hi there, the routes in my area are quite hilly. Yet, I very much like the response and stifness of the S5. So, I would like to go deep (as necessary), but at the same time to stay as lights as possible.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

George46GR wrote:
a) Hookless or hooked?
c) 45mm deep, or more?

a) Depends on pressure. 70psi max for hookless. At your weight you might want hooked.
b) Many happy miles on Carbon Ti. DT Swiss will last longer and handle more abuse. At your weight you might want DT Swiss.
c) 45mm deep, or more? As already stated by others, go deeper - at least 50mm. At your weight you might want 60mm+. The deeper rims mean shorter spokes, better bracing angle = stiffer wheel.
d) Are the Conti S TR suitable for hookless rims? Yes. But 70psi max.
e) Are 21 spokes enough for a 82 kg rider and/or for sprinting ? No, unless the spokes are massively strong and stiff. At your weight you might want 24 spokes on a 60mm wheel and 28 on a 40mm wheel. Think about using all Sapim Sprint if, as you say, you like "response and stiffness".

You getting the theme here? All the decisions toward light weight, while OK, will be a comprimise in performance and/or durability. I am 5kg lighter than you and use Light Bicycle WR50 on Carbon Ti, 24 Sapim CXray (with Conti TR 28mm). This build is just adequately stiff, I would not be happy with anything less stiff. A shallower rim would require more spokes or stiffer spokes to be acceptable to me. FWIW my rims are flyweight version and the total wheelset weight is 1350gm.

Another thing to think about is rim width. If you are planning to use 28mm tires you need a rim that is at least 30 wide. IIRC those Feder rims are 28mm wide. Ideally you wouldn't put anything bigger than 25mm on them. If you are committed to Farsports and 28mm tires, have a look at their 50mm hooked gravel rims. Built on Carbon Ti = 1360 grams.

And more important than any of the technical specs is how it looks :D . I would not put shallow wheels on an S5. IMO 50mm is the minimum and 55 - 65 is the sweet spot. The extra 100 grams will be very much worth it in terms of appearance (not to mention the extra speed). Please post a photo and a ride report here when you are done.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

George46GR

by George46GR

Dear @Mr Gib : Thanks a lot indeed for your analysis. The minimum I can do, is to leave a real review and some photos when I have the build and some km on the new bike.
Thank you very very much.

Yet, I am still between the new 2023 S5 and the new 2023 Foil ....

dumbmachine

by dumbmachine

Any reviews on the wave series? Thinking of getting them in dt350s. Love the way the look.

Kozaki

by Kozaki

George46GR wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:35 pm
Dear @Mr Gib : Thanks a lot indeed for your analysis. The minimum I can do, is to leave a real review and some photos when I have the build and some km on the new bike.
Thank you very very much.

Yet, I am still between the new 2023 S5 and the new 2023 Foil ....
The new 2023 Foil is awesome. And it rides better than it looks. I test ride it few days ago and I was really suprised. In my oppinion way better than previous version.

Regarding the Farsports wheels, they are launching their EU campain. I saw instagram page yesterday and are offering quite a good discount on the wheels. 150 off with FAREU150 cupon.

Timuk

by Timuk

My second set of Farsports wheels arrived this week. Happy with my Carbon-Ti 40/50 tubulars but wanted to see if deeper felt faster.

69mm tubular set with RD230, CX Rays, XDR arrived. Weight is 1330g which I was pleased with for rims this deep. Won't be testing until it gets warmer. £626 I think delivered to UK.

CtV

by CtV

Finally i got my hands on the REVO 50mm wheelset i ordered with bitex BX312F/R hubs and CX ray spokes. Delivery time was about 2-3weeks. The wheelset came in at about 1390 gr and is within the margin they stated when i bought them (1375+/-30gr). Its in the range of a DTSwiss 180 hub build maybe some 20gr heavier but half the price and with the option to fit NTN bearings.
Already owning a pair of FEDER 35mm Dtswiss 240 wheelset and a ROVAL Rapide CLX wheelset i wanted a wheelset for racing which combines the attributes of both wheelsets. The FEDER wheelset is great for climbing only races, its a light and very agile wheelset. The ROVAL CLX`s are of course faster on flats but feel sluggish and like a death trap on fast alpine descents. I have been riding the REVO´s for a week now (with lots of proper climbing living in the alps) and its exactly what i was looking for. They feel fast on the flats, the weight is about the same of the CLX`S but with the difference that they descent properly. They feel nearly as agile as the FEDER on descents and another positive point is the stiffness of the wheelset. They feel very responsive and accelerate a lot better than the ROVAL`s...All in all im very happy with the purchase..no downsides so far and regarding the price its a 10/10 from my site!

George46GR

by George46GR

CtV wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:35 am
Finally i got my hands on the REVO 50mm wheelset i ordered with bitex BX312F/R hubs and CX ray spokes. Delivery time was about 2-3weeks. The wheelset came in at about 1390 gr and is within the margin they stated when i bought them (1375+/-30gr). Its in the range of a DTSwiss 180 hub build maybe some 20gr heavier but half the price and with the option to fit NTN bearings.
Already owning a pair of FEDER 35mm Dtswiss 240 wheelset and a ROVAL Rapide CLX wheelset i wanted a wheelset for racing which combines the attributes of both wheelsets. The FEDER wheelset is great for climbing only races, its a light and very agile wheelset. The ROVAL CLX`s are of course faster on flats but feel sluggish and like a death trap on fast alpine descents. I have been riding the REVO´s for a week now (with lots of proper climbing living in the alps) and its exactly what i was looking for. They feel fast on the flats, the weight is about the same of the CLX`S but with the difference that they descent properly. They feel nearly as agile as the FEDER on descents and another positive point is the stiffness of the wheelset. They feel very responsive and accelerate a lot better than the ROVAL`s...All in all im very happy with the purchase..no downsides so far and regarding the price its a 10/10 from my site!
How many spokes do the wheels have (F/R) ? Thank you !

CtV

by CtV

George46GR wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:20 pm
CtV wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:35 am
How many spokes do the wheels have (F/R) ? Thank you !
24/24 F/R

mariorito

by mariorito

new farsports hub, just arrived, not yet on sale, same dt swiss 36-tooth system, first with the old rd320 hub i had a small problem doing demanding climbs around 20%, the seat of a paddle had broken, this will surely be more resistant, new rating at 24 no longer 21 as before, the weight is slightly higher by 60 gr than before, but I absolutely prefer it, in a few days I will also give you the first impressions
Attachments
20230406_192443.jpg
20230406_192405.jpg
20230406_192359.jpg
20230406_192319.jpg

tiz92

by tiz92

This seems like a good upgrade. Also the 24h spokes are most likely better. unless you are under 60 kg its really better to have 24 spokes on a disc bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com