FARSPORTS DISC CARBON WHEELSET Test & Review

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Bjobjo

by Bjobjo

mistergoober wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:02 am
Kaze just saw a price jump vs. a few days ago. Negates the 10% off I guess. The other wheels seem to be holding their pricing. At least this was Kaze Disc w/350
In US dollars or another currency? Because Feders with RD230 cost the same in USD, but the foreign exchange rates have all been nosediving against the dollar.

PUNlSHER

by PUNlSHER

LESKO wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:30 pm
PUNlSHER wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:57 am
By the way, how long does it take them to build and ship an order??
About two weeks, ordered mine on 24.10 and got tracking on 7.11, hope it helps.
Yes, thanks!
What model of the wheels you ordered? Because Emma say that they haven't Matte black rims,- only 70% (Satin).
S6 EVO3 - 6380g CAAD13 - 6626g TOPSTONE Al - 8195g

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LESKO

by LESKO

PUNlSHER wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:41 am
LESKO wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:30 pm
PUNlSHER wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:57 am
By the way, how long does it take them to build and ship an order??
About two weeks, ordered mine on 24.10 and got tracking on 7.11, hope it helps.
Yes, thanks!
What model of the wheels you ordered? Because Emma say that they haven't Matte black rims,- only 70% (Satin).
KAZE disc model, 28 mm wide 58cm deep with DT240EXP in Marble Black Glossy.

martocom

by martocom

When running the rims without holes with tubes (Schwalbe Aerothan), do you guys install a rimtape?

tonchy

by tonchy

martocom wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:36 pm
When running the rims without holes with tubes (Schwalbe Aerothan), do you guys install a rimtape?
In my case just Aerothans (disc brake wheels).

martocom

by martocom

tonchy wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:58 am
martocom wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:36 pm
In my case just Aerothans (disc brake wheels).
No Problems so far?

I'm on the 50/30 Hooked Gravel Rims.
Thought about adding a short piece of rimtape around the valve to elimanate this as a potential pinch-point.

tonchy

by tonchy

martocom wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:16 pm
No Problems so far?

I'm on the 50/30 Hooked Gravel Rims.
Thought about adding a short piece of rimtape around the valve to elimanate this as a potential pinch-point.
No and I've been using this Feder wheelset + Aerothans + GravelKing Slick 32mm tires, mostly on pavement, somethimes also on light gravel roads. :)

Jasonlelam

by Jasonlelam

Novatec is very random in quality. Some time, god bless you, and you get a pair of pretty solid hubs, but some other chance, you will hate your choice on it when you put them on ride and fail soon....

txg

by txg

Jasonlelam wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:41 am
Novatec is very random in quality. Some time, god bless you, and you get a pair of pretty solid hubs, but some other chance, you will hate your choice on it when you put them on ride and fail soon....
Depends on what kind of failure i'd say. We got two wheelsets with Novatec db411/412 and had broken bearings on two hubs in less than a year due to water coming in. We exchanged the bearings for better ones and put in a lot of grease which is a cheap and fast fix when you know how to do it. No further issues since then and now we have pretty light and cheap hubs that just work. I'd go the same way again and don't see much reason to invest in higher quality hubs. We do also have wheelsets with DT 350 and DT 240 and to me there is not much difference.

PUNlSHER

by PUNlSHER

txg wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:07 am
Jasonlelam wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:41 am
Depends on what kind of failure i'd say. We got two wheelsets with Novatec db411/412 and had broken bearings on two hubs in less than a year due to water coming in. We exchanged the bearings for better ones and put in a lot of grease which is a cheap and fast fix when you know how to do it. No further issues since then and now we have pretty light and cheap hubs that just work. I'd go the same way again and don't see much reason to invest in higher quality hubs. We do also have wheelsets with DT 350 and DT 240 and to me there is not much difference.
I just ordered Gravel wheels with this hubs, will see.. :|
S6 EVO3 - 6380g CAAD13 - 6626g TOPSTONE Al - 8195g

nickf

by nickf

I have 2 sets of Farsports wheels built with the Novatec db411/412 hubs. My first set arrived May 2019, one bearing change around 8 months ago. Really only the drive side bearing on the rear wheel needed it but changed them all out. Thousands of miles and many races. Then I picked up a wide gravel-specific wheel set from Farsports, again the hubs have been great. On my road bike, I have 2 sets of the Novatec AS511SB FS522SB. Again they have been flawless. I don't see the value in the more expensive hubs these days. I was at one point all about big-name hubs, at the end of the day are all just an aluminum shell with bearings. Sure some will argue this X Brand hub will build up a stiffer wheel, at my level I have NEVER noticed a difference between similar wheels with various hubs.

CtV

by CtV

I have used a Feder 35mm wheelset with DtSwiss240 hub for nearly a year now and i am very pleased with it, no issues at all so far. Now im planning to get a deeper wheelset. Was having a look at their REVO series 48mm or 50mm, but cant find any reviews..How are they, how do they ride, how do they compare to the Feder Series? Has anybody tried them?

George46GR

by George46GR

CtV wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:49 pm
I have used a Feder 35mm wheelset with DtSwiss240 hub for nearly a year now and i am very pleased with it, no issues at all so far. Now im planning to get a deeper wheelset. Was having a look at their REVO series 48mm or 50mm, but cant find any reviews..How are they, how do they ride, how do they compare to the Feder Series? Has anybody tried them?
I also have the same question as I currently own a Feder 35mm deep wheels with carbon ti hubs for my BMC SLR01 teammachine. Yet, I am looking for a deeper set of wheels for my new 2023 Scott Foil. So, how are the REVO ones reviewed so far? Should we prefer the [45mm deep/19mm int width/1250 gr] or the [48mm deep/20mm int width/1325 gr] or the [50mm deep/21mm int width/1365 gr] ? Which one is best for an aero bike which will also climb a lot ?
2023 Cervelo S5, size 56, sapphire/ice

Bjobjo

by Bjobjo

George46GR wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:57 pm
CtV wrote:
I also have the same question as I currently own a Feder 35mm deep wheels with carbon ti hubs for my BMC SLR01 teammachine. Yet, I am looking for a deeper set of wheels for my new 2023 Scott Foil. So, how are the REVO ones reviewed so far? Should we prefer the [45mm deep/19mm int width/1250 gr] or the [48mm deep/20mm int width/1325 gr] or the [50mm deep/21mm int width/1365 gr] ? Which one is best for an aero bike which will also climb a lot ?
From my experience it depends. Do you want a bike that is fast or one that feels fast? Given the small difference in depth but larger difference in weight, I would personally go to the 45mm but I am someone who prefers a lively feel over a slightly higher average speed. Also depends on the steepness of the climbs. If it are false flats, I don't feel the difference. But on anything steep, I just love a light wheel, even if I am overall a bit slower.

And what tires are you planning on using? This might also skew the results to a narrower or wider rim.

George46GR

by George46GR

Bjobjo wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:41 am
George46GR wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:57 pm
CtV wrote:
From my experience it depends. Do you want a bike that is fast or one that feels fast? Given the small difference in depth but larger difference in weight, I would personally go to the 45mm but I am someone who prefers a lively feel over a slightly higher average speed. Also depends on the steepness of the climbs. If it are false flats, I don't feel the difference. But on anything steep, I just love a light wheel, even if I am overall a bit slower.

And what tires are you planning on using? This might also skew the results to a narrower or wider rim.
My tyres would probably be the Conti 5000 S-TR 25 mm in tubeless setup, or the Schwalbe Pro One Super Race TLE
2023 Cervelo S5, size 56, sapphire/ice

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com