FARSPORTS DISC CARBON WHEELSET Test & Review

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
timmerrr

by timmerrr

No idea, what ever our team mechanic thought would last. All I know is they are stainless.
State Bicycle Co. Undefeated: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=171358

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Turrifik

by Turrifik

timmerrr wrote:No idea, what ever our team mechanic thought would last. All I know is they are stainless.
I was considering switching my RD hubs to NTN bearings at some point. Not sure when since they’ve been performing well for ~1.5yrs now, but all dry weather conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robbosmans

by robbosmans

My bearings in my rd230 front hub are toast after 4500km’s. I expect the replacements will last longer

Turrifik

by Turrifik

robbosmans wrote:My bearings in my r230 front hub are toast after 4500km’s. I expect the replacements will last longer
Good to know. I should just preemptively swap mine out if servicing the hubs while the bike is out of commission this winter.

I’m curious which bearings folks are ordering.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Front bearings are 6902’s, very common bearings. You can easily find these from the big manufacturers like NTN, SKF, NSK, FAG….

I ordered NTN 6902 LLU’s as I prefer full contact seals to keep the moisture out not only when its wet out but also when cleaning the bike. Just look for something with 2 seals (most commenly named 2RS)

Turrifik

by Turrifik

robbosmans wrote:Front bearings are 6902’s, very common bearings. You can easily find these from the big manufacturers like NTN, SKF, NSK, FAG….

I ordered NTN 6902 LLU’s as I prefer full contact seals to keep the moisture out not only when its wet out but also when cleaning the bike. Just look for something with 2 seals (most commenly named 2RS)
Thanks for the tips. This would be better than me just smothering the outboard sides of the bearings with water repellent grease.

Where did you order from? My LBS didn’t seem to interested in sourcing.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

In any country, there usually exist reputable DIY oriented shops, where among a ton of other things, you could find all kind of bearing related stuff, as most bearings used in bikes/wheels are nothing really proprietary.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

George46GR

by George46GR

Could anyone please suggest on where to purchase NTN bearings with seals to be delivered in Europe?

Does anybody also have experience on the new REVO series ? I am thinking of the new 45CM-25T-SUD for my new 2023 Scott Foil.

Thanks a lot indeed !
2023 Cervelo S5, size 56, sapphire/ice

PUNlSHER

by PUNlSHER

Hi all!
Novatec vs dt 350 on gravel wheels. Does it make sense to overpay for dt? And are there spare parts on the market in case of breakage of novatec hubs? :beerchug:
S6 EVO3 - 6380g CAAD13 - 6626g TOPSTONE Al - 8195g

jfl

by jfl

I went with Novatec for my gravel wheels and I don't regret it. I needed to change the front hub bearings recently and it was a pretty straightforward affair. I bought the replacement bearings on the official Novatec EU webshop

PUNlSHER

by PUNlSHER

jfl wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:47 am
I went with Novatec for my gravel wheels and I don't regret it. I needed to change the front hub bearings recently and it was a pretty straightforward affair. I bought the replacement bearings on the official Novatec EU webshop
After what mileage did you change the bearings? Which version of wheels you have?
S6 EVO3 - 6380g CAAD13 - 6626g TOPSTONE Al - 8195g

Indyx

by Indyx

Anyone use their Feder Wheels for CX?

I've got a pair of Feder 40/45 with Carbon Ti Hubs I am thinking of using for CX Racing.

Any thoughts on how the wheels would do in terms of durability? Ive been using DT Swiss Spline Rc38s and they are a tank, and survived many CX Races, but a bit heavy at 1500 grams.

I weigh 70 kg.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Carbon Ti have pretty low drag seals which suggests to me they aren't that weather proof. IOW - wet, muddy cx? Carbon Ti wouldn't be my choice. If you must, you could always cake a pile of heavy grease over the end caps.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Indyx

by Indyx

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:17 pm
Carbon Ti have pretty low drag seals which suggests to me they aren't that weather proof. IOW - wet, muddy cx? Carbon Ti wouldn't be my choice. If you must, you could always cake a pile of heavy grease over the end caps.
Agree- Yeah the bearings are exposed, but just curious how the rims themselves would do.

jfl

by jfl

PUNlSHER wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:25 pm
jfl wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:47 am
After what mileage did you change the bearings? Which version of wheels you have?
Gravel 30/30. Whatever they're called. Replacement happened about 5000km in, which is way earlier then normal. However only one of the front bearings was shot; the other was fine and the rear ones are still running smooth. So I suspect either there was water ingress that I didn't notice or that bearing was compromised from the get go.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com