FARSPORTS DISC CARBON WHEELSET Test & Review

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Attermann

by Attermann

Mine had a little slip, so I changed the springs and ratchets to original dt swiss, and I haven't had any problems since

pushpush

by pushpush

I received my wheelset.

Ordered via email interaction with Emma @ Farsports. Paid with Paypal.

Hyper 35mm @ 24mm IW and 30mm OW Hooked / RD270 Hubs / Ceramic Bearings / Carbon Spokes / UD Matte / No logo
Front wheel - 498g
Rear wheel - 610g
Total weight - 1108g !!!

The battery in my digital calipers is dead so I can't measure wheels or tires until I replace that.

They were well boxed and packed. Each wheel was in a wheel bag.
One spare carbon spoke of each size (3 sizes) were included.
They were shipped to me via FedEx to California. Shipped Friday 5/17. Received Monday 5/20.
They look flawless. The carbon looks perfect. The spokes are all smooth and consistent.
The taping looks poor. I'll retape before I mount tires. Initially this looked okay to me but upon closer inspection I see that the tape isn't properly tensioned to conform to the rim bed. Easy fix.
The hubs are properly lubricated and everything was correctly assembled.
The hubs spin more smoothly out of the box than any other wheelset I've experienced.

The wheels did not include build cards with measurements which most wheels include. Not a big deal.

I have not mounted tires/rotors/cassette or ridden them yet, but upon my initial inspection, I am impressed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RobinDuraAce

by RobinDuraAce

Hi Guys,
Think i will pull the trigger for 58mm 30/24 with their own hub and carbon spokes. Are there any active Discount Codes right now?
And i was looking in the thread for the freehub sound, but couldnot find informations. The Hub is like DT so is the 54t the same noise like the DT 54t?

Best regards
Robin

Agent041

by Agent041

RobinDuraAce wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 8:44 pm
Hi Guys,
Think i will pull the trigger for 58mm 30/24 with their own hub and carbon spokes. Are there any active Discount Codes right now?
And i was looking in the thread for the freehub sound, but couldnot find informations. The Hub is like DT so is the 54t the same noise like the DT 54t?

Best regards
Robin
This coupon should be active shortly in Wheelsfar (and I think it will be permanent coupon):
FAR-OFF-50

As for Farsport.com you already have permanent coupons:
FAR-OFF-100 for all wheels
FAR-OFF-50 for handlebars

I already have 3 sets of their wheels (2 from Wheelsfar and 1 from Farsport.com), and am never buying anything else again :) Will go for the handlebars also very shortly.

foobaar

by foobaar

Could someone recommend a bearing replacement for the RD270? Thanks

Ensi

by Ensi

foobaar wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 11:28 am
I used Enduro Bearings or the AliX Bearings from Raindew (as the Fushi bearings died twice after 120km).

tiz92

by tiz92

I would go for quality NTN, NSK or SFK or FAG bearings. For "training, all purpose wheels" contact seels. If every watt counts go for non contact seals but dont ride them to much under rain.

pushpush

by pushpush

Ensi wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 1:26 pm
foobaar wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 11:28 am
I used Enduro Bearings or the AliX Bearings from Raindew (as the Fushi bearings died twice after 120km).
BTW if anyone else is wondering....

The RD270 takes 2x 6803/2, 2x 6802, and 2x 15267 bearings

Tofast

by Tofast

I just received my wheels and they look nice but they are only supplied with 1 layer of tape, do you other guys run with that or do you re-tape with 2-layers?

pushpush

by pushpush

I always tape with a single wrap, overlapping about 6" around the valve hole. It hasn't been a problem so I haven't changed.

PedaleurPat

by PedaleurPat

Hi guys! Would love to try out farsports wheels but can't really find what I am searching for.
Does anyone know if there is a model which fulfills following requirements:

- depth: front min. 50mm / rear min. 55mm
- external width: min 30mm (want my GP5000S TR TT to fit perfectly)
- NOT hookless
- total weight about 1350g
- bonus (not a must): carbon spokes

The Carbon spoke build would fit me perfectly but they are all hookless..

Thanks

stevec1975

by stevec1975

PedaleurPat wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 9:21 pm
Hi guys! Would love to try out farsports wheels but can't really find what I am searching for.

- NOT hookless

Thanks
None of the Carbon spoke models are now Hookless (they stopped selling them as far as I know, only available upon request) the HL in the title of the wheel does not refer to Hookless...

the rest is easily searchable on https://www.wheelsfar.com/carbon-spokes ... p0182.html
S-Works SL8 - 6.29Kg/13.86Ib
Cervelo S3 Disc - 6.78Kg/14.94Ib
Scott Addict RC - 6.92Kg/15.25Ib
OnOne - Free Ranger - 8.68Kg/19.1Ib
Scott CR1 - 5.69Kg/12.54Ib

PedaleurPat

by PedaleurPat

stevec1975 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 9:27 pm
PedaleurPat wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 9:21 pm

- NOT hookless

Thanks
None of the Carbon spoke models are now Hookless (they stopped selling them as far as I know, only available upon request) the HL in the title of the wheel does not refer to Hookless...

the rest is easily searchable on https://www.wheelsfar.com/carbon-spokes ... p0182.html
Ohhhh, I see. I assumed that HL stands for Hookless. My fault...

PS: I happened to read your thread on the SL8 build today - loved it!
I am going for a similar build. Just have to be lucky on the EXS handelbars tho..

PedaleurPat

by PedaleurPat

One more question, because I don't know my around hubs.
What would be the benefit of the DT180 hubs instead of the RD270? Because there is about a 500€ price difference.

tyoac

by tyoac

First of all thanks for all the quick answers here, much appreciated! :)
pushpush wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 8:54 pm
Too much grease in/around the ratchets? The first thing I would do is pop off that freehub body and remove the spring and ratchets. Give everything a good wipe down and apply some fresh grease. Too little grease and the ratchets make an insane amount of noise. Too much grease and they won't engage.

If that doesn't help, inspect the spring to ensure enough force is being applied for them to engage.

If that doesn't help, have them send you a replacement freehub.

Good luck.
Just by the sound of them I wouldn't have had the impression that there would be too much or not enough grease on them but I'll definitely have to check either way.
Maddie wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 9:31 pm
Tyoac, get some DT Swiss springs and you're good. I had the same issue on my first rides. Problem solved with the new springs.
How did you find out that it was only the springs and nothing else or was that the first thing you tried and it immediately helped?
Attermann wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 6:04 am
Mine had a little slip, so I changed the springs and ratchets to original dt swiss, and I haven't had any problems since
A little slip would be an understament in my case as they are not even rideable around the block with the constanst slip but good to know that in that case springs and ratchets helped again.

Could you maybe point me in the right direction then for the correct springs and ratchets? I don't want to order the wrong stuff. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com