FARSPORTS DISC CARBON WHEELSET Test & Review

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
SpyVeilside

by SpyVeilside

Mine came brand new with front bearings not as smooth as rear.
lemeneid wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 3:52 am
Anyone have issues with their bearings?

I heard some noise from the RD270 hubs and pulled them out looking like this. barely 6 months and the bike is maintained well and never ridden in the rain either.

IMG_6277.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bmrk

by bmrk

lemeneid wrote:
bmrk wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 5:48 am
lemeneid wrote:Anyone have issues with their bearings?

I heard some noise from the RD270 hubs and pulled them out looking like this. barely 6 months and the bike is maintained well and never ridden in the rain either.

IMG_6277.jpeg
I had to replace only the free hub bearings after 6 months of riding in all conditions, with lots of wet and rain.

The outer bearing had seized and the interior one was notchy.

It was earlier than expected but I did not think it was a problem of bad bearings at the time.

After pulling them I noticed clear signs off water ingress on the free hub.

The bearings that came in my set are S&S with red seals.

Replaced the free hub bearings and packed a good amount of grease under all hub caps to avoid water ingress.

The discolored one in the pictures below is the outer bearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you know if yours are ceramic or steel? I've been trying to find these bearings online and so far nothing turns out.

I had opted for ceramic bearings as they were free upgrade at my time of purchase, but surprised there is rust from ceramic bearings Image

As a comparison, I did a replacement for Enduro bearings on my bike on my BB which is 2 years now, none of this rust observed, and still running relatively smooth but a little worn.
Mine are the standard steel ones. Even if the balls are ceramic the races can rust. Water ingress will kill any bearing Image

What I am unsure is their seal quality. All the other bearings in the hubs are still good as new, but I think it is worth to maintain a good layer of grease under the caps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cflima

by cflima

4le91 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 6:54 pm
Here the video https://youtube.com/shorts/ImYrOzyt7QU? ... u7dWfHjb_A same cassette on fulcrum is straight. Nothing strange can be felt during ride
This is exactly the problem I have!

After 2.5 weeks of waiting they finally shipped a new freehub last Friday. I was told their response was delayed because people were at the Shanghai bike show. However, they have shipped with FedEx for faster delivery. I will assemble it once I receive it and report back.

Jaisen

by Jaisen

cflima wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 7:38 pm
4le91 wrote:
Here the video https://youtube.com/shorts/ImYrOzyt7QU? ... u7dWfHjb_A same cassette on fulcrum is straight. Nothing strange can be felt during ride

After 2.5 weeks of waiting they finally shipped a new freehub last Friday. I was told their response was delayed because people were at the Shanghai bike show. However, they have shipped with FedEx for faster delivery. I will assemble it once I receive it and report back.
There was also a Chinese holiday between May 1st and May 5th, so they were probably catching up on a back log of emails as well.

dg2024

by dg2024

Has anyone converted the RD270 hub from XDR to Shimano? (or vice versa). If so, where did you source the freehub body from?

I've managed to convert the DT Swiss 350 hub from Shimano to XDR before and it was easy :) :D

warickwrx

by warickwrx

dg2024 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 5:02 am
Has anyone converted the RD270 hub from XDR to Shimano? (or vice versa). If so, where did you source the freehub body from?

I've managed to convert the DT Swiss 350 hub from Shimano to XDR before and it was easy :) :D
A normal DT ratchet Shimano freehub body should work as long as it is not their latest EXP version.

goby1215

by goby1215

I have a set of Farsports Feder 45mm 26mm extw with Carbon Ti hub (1320g). I am very impressed with the rim and ride quality but not so much with hub's durability. Experiened a broken hub shell at the front spoke. Though Carbon Ti is super responsive and kind enough to send a front hub immediately.

Looking to buy a second set of wheels from Farsports, this time 50mm deep and extw suitable for 28mm tyres. Which options below do you think is most worth it and perhaps more importantly, more durable and bullet-proof?

--> Farsports Hyper 50mm - 30mm extw - DT240 - Sapim CX Ray (1377g)
--> Farsports Hyper 50mm - 30mm extw - RD270 - Carbon Spokes (1207g)

Price wise, DT240 is slighty more expensive than RD270. Perhaps Dt240 set will have a slighty better edge in second-hand value?

As far as I am aware, Dt240 is bulletproof, no doubt same goes to CX Ray, though there is a small 57g weight penalty compared to my current Feder.
Though RD270 and carbon spoke provide a whopping 113g savings, but I am not too sure on the track record of these spokes and hub.

Appreciate if anyone can share their thoughts before i order it.

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

goby1215 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 10:13 am

As far as I am aware, Dt240 is bulletproof, no doubt same goes to CX Ray, though there is a small 57g weight penalty compared to my current Feder.
Though RD270 and carbon spoke provide a whopping 113g savings, but I am not too sure on the track record of these spokes and hub.
Very happy on my pair - same apart from choosing DT 350 hubs. Weight came in at 1396g. Has been awesome with 30mm tyres. Only had them for 6 months but no issues at all so far.

BalticSea

by BalticSea

So it seems that wheels with Ultra rims are now available:

https://www.wheelsfar.com/hyper-disc-26 ... p0184.html

1320 grams for 50mm deep wheels for arround 850 USD. ~50 grams lighter than regular Hypers with DT 240 hub, but not sure what's the weight difference between their own in-house hub and DT Swiss

4le91

by 4le91

cflima wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 7:38 pm
4le91 wrote:

I managed to solve the issue myself. The reason was the shimano 12 speed adhesive ring behind the cassette, I came first to the solution and then I found this after 😂 https://bettershifting.com/12-speed-dan ... cillation/. The reason is that the freehub interface to the cassette is smaller than the diameter of this ring, hence when the cassette is tightened against the free hub edge there is high chance that the ring gets deformed, making the cassette wobble. You can see from the reflection behind my cassette that the adhesive ring got damaged. I detached it and replaced it with a bit of grease instead where the cassette contact the free hub. Now the cassette spin very straight.

I noticed that all the bearings had very little grease and I have added dt Swiss grease, does someone know how to remove the front hub rd270 dust caps? I could not pull it by hands and I managed to scratch them with tools but still not luck to remove them and grease the outer side of the bearings.

Finally I have tested dt Swiss ratchet style 350 freehub body on rd270 and it works flawlessly. In the future if I need a new more robust free hub body I will buy a dt one for 40 euros 😂
Attachments
IMG_2331.jpeg
IMG_2332.jpeg
IMG_2334.jpeg

Matte86

by Matte86

BalticSea wrote:So it seems that wheels with Ultra rims are now available:

https://www.wheelsfar.com/hyper-disc-26 ... p0184.html

1320 grams for 50mm deep wheels for arround 850 USD. ~50 grams lighter than regular Hypers with DT 240 hub, but not sure what's the weight difference between their own in-house hub and DT Swiss
Not yet with carbon spokes and their RD hub

tiz92

by tiz92

goby1215 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 10:13 am
I have a set of Farsports Feder 45mm 26mm extw with Carbon Ti hub (1320g). I am very impressed with the rim and ride quality but not so much with hub's durability. Experiened a broken hub shell at the front spoke. Though Carbon Ti is super responsive and kind enough to send a front hub immediately.

Looking to buy a second set of wheels from Farsports, this time 50mm deep and extw suitable for 28mm tyres. Which options below do you think is most worth it and perhaps more importantly, more durable and bullet-proof?

Price wise, DT240 is slighty more expensive than RD270. Perhaps Dt240 set will have a slighty better edge in second-hand value?

Appreciate if anyone can share their thoughts before i order it.
I think their carbon spokes are already very proofen to be good and durable. The Rd 270 hub while for sure not as time proven as DT swiss 240 is also good. So I would personally go for the lighter set.

SpyVeilside

by SpyVeilside

I knock them out from the other side using a soft mallet and a hard rubber stick.
4le91 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 6:32 pm

I noticed that all the bearings had very little grease and I have added dt Swiss grease, does someone know how to remove the front hub rd270 dust caps? I could not pull it by hands and I managed to scratch them with tools but still not luck to remove them and grease the outer side of the bearings.

4le91

by 4le91

SpyVeilside wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 8:32 am
I knock them out from the other side using a soft mallet and a hard rubber stick.
4le91 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 6:32 pm

Thanks very helpful! I will try

SpyVeilside

by SpyVeilside

Since the first day of receiving the wheels, I have had bearing issues with my front wheel. The bearings are not smooth and I tried riding for 200km to run it in but the issue persist.

When I install the front wheel on my bike and tighten the thru axle, the front wheel becomes rough and not spinning smoothly. When I loosen the thru axle screw, the front wheel becomes smooth and spins very well. Are the end caps pressing too hard on the bearings? Where should I check or adjust?

Also, I noticed the axle is much longer on one side. Is this normal? Please see the attached pictures.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2024-05-15 at 21.34.50 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-05-15 at 21.34.50.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com