FARSPORTS DISC CARBON WHEELSET Test & Review

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
4le91

by 4le91

Prippo wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 4:53 pm
I am not concerned with paypal being the suggested payment method, just the account that seems odd. It was from contact with their regular mail "sales3@farsports.cn".
yes, understood. I paid with paypal from wheelsfar cart, so I did not input any adress manually. Maybe it is real or maybe is not :)

timmerrr

by timmerrr

Was involved in one of the late race crashes at the Spartenburg P/1 Crit last weekend. Hit the deck (or rather other people on the deck) at 36mph. Thankfully my bike and me made it out in 1 piece. My 45mm ext/30mm int hypers with carbon spokes came out the other side a bit out of true. Anyone with experience trueing these wheels? Any tips or tricks?
State Bicycle Co. Undefeated: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=171358

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wziel

by wziel

Prippo wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 3:32 pm
I am about to place an order and was told to send the money via paypal to "carbonwheels2006@gmail.com". Can someone confirm this is the correct mail? I guess I am being overly cautious but it doesnt look very "businesslike" and on the wheelsfar website it says their paypal account is "mae@farsports.cn".

Prippo

by Prippo

wziel wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 11:51 pm
Prippo wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 3:32 pm
I am about to place an order and was told to send the money via paypal to "carbonwheels2006@gmail.com". Can someone confirm this is the correct mail? I guess I am being overly cautious but it doesnt look very "businesslike" and on the wheelsfar website it says their paypal account is "mae@farsports.cn".
Thank you!

madspalme

by madspalme

Hi all

Have anyone tried these carbon spoked wheels in the alps/mountains?

I have previously broken a spoke or two on the front wheel due to hard braking leading in to hairpins on 58mm farsports (think they made them with pillar wing spokes as sapim was sold out but not sure. Spoke broke inside the nipple both times)

Considering the 58mm option of these carbon spoked wheel, but want to make sure they have good braking performance as well.

Also, i think i read somethere that some DT parts can be used as spare parts for these hubs, is that correct?

4le91

by 4le91

Mine should hopefully arrived today (50/58mm paintless no spoke holes 24/30mm rd270). Took incredibly long (it was much faster the previous three wheelset from LB). Ordered on the 22 of March, shipped to Europe on the 17 of April. Hopefully was worth the wait

4le91

by 4le91

4le91 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 10:29 am
Mine should hopefully arrived today (50/58mm paintless no spoke holes 24/30mm rd270). Took incredibly long (it was much faster the previous three wheelset from LB). Ordered on the 22 of March, shipped to Europe on the 17 of April. Hopefully was worth the wait
Wheels looks fantastic, quality seems very high! Looking forward to mount and test them today. They seems to be defect free, only some tiny soft rubbing in the free hub body every one rotation, my suspect is that the rubber seal might be touching a bit (it is quite exposed between the hub and the free hub), looks like something that will disappear after a couple of rides.
Attachments
IMG_2263.jpeg
IMG_2263.jpeg (159.85 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
IMG_2262.jpeg
IMG_2262.jpeg (96.77 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
IMG_2261.jpeg
IMG_2261.jpeg (139.31 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
IMG_2264.jpeg
IMG_2264.jpeg (97.88 KiB) Viewed 1000 times

4le91

by 4le91

Looks nice also when mounted on bike. I'm not a weightweenie myself but with heavy cinturato (roads are not so smooth and using it off season too), 60-80ml sealant, all accessories and sensors, stock ultegra parts, it is approximately 7.5kg. Tyres are nominally 28mm, bumped up to 31mm. Rim outer width is 31mm (slightly more than advertised) so perfectly in line with tyre. Wheels weight is 1292g (50/58)
Attachments
IMG_2266.jpeg
IMG_2266.jpeg (118.89 KiB) Viewed 962 times
IMG_2267.jpeg
IMG_2267.jpeg (132.08 KiB) Viewed 962 times
IMG_2268.jpeg
IMG_2268.jpeg (127.35 KiB) Viewed 962 times

ryanppax

by ryanppax

Ordered Last friday, received this friday!
548g savings with TPU tubes. Coming from Shimano 105 c46
Super happy
IMG_5695.jpg
IMG_5694.jpg
IMG_5687.jpg

SpyVeilside

by SpyVeilside

Ordered 11 April received 9 May.

55mm 21/28 with RD270

Wheels are well & intact upon delivery. Box used were sturdy and bigger than expected.

Weight measured with rim tapes installed.

System weight includes rotor, tubes and tires.

1. Some hairline scratches visible upon delivery, no issue as I will accumulate more scratches in a few months.
2. Rear bearings are super smooth.
3. Front bearings are not as smooth as rear, but acceptable. <-- Done 100km and front still not as smooth as rear, anybody has this issue as well? Anyway to improve it?
4. One of the end cap's seal was broken upon inspection. When removing the rest of that seal, the seal broke into 4 pieces. It was hard and not rubbery. Only one of the end cap seal had this problem. Emma agreed to send me replacement seals.
5. Wheels are true.
6. Rim shape is more U than V to me. <-- Are these rims considered as U shape rims?
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2024-05-10 at 22.21.08.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-05-11 at 11.21.32 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-05-11 at 11.21.32 (2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-05-11 at 11.21.32.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-05-11 at 11.21.33 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-05-11 at 11.21.33.jpeg

4le91

by 4le91

cflima wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:42 pm
Received my Farsports Hyper (45 depth, 24/30 hooked rim, carbon spokes and RD270 hub) wheelset this Tuesday and posting my review so far. Ordered via Aliexpress after having read the good reviews here and watching the manufacturing video from China Cycling. Ordered on 26-Mar, they were shipped on 16-Apr and received in the UK on 23-Apr.

Box had some exterior damage, but it was very well packaged inside (wheels side by side with enough room to absorb pressure) so wheels were in perfect condition. Out of the box the wheels looked really well finished (glossy finish) and doing the eye test the wheels looked round and true. They also came with spare spokes as requested which was a welcome addition.

Measured weight was 1,220g including rim tape, so not that far from the specified weight. Setup of GP5000 clincher 28mm was super easy by hand, which was welcome for a 24mm inner rim width.

The challenge came with installing the Ultegra cassette. All cogs went in well until the 12T cog which had to be pushed in slightly by hand. I found this weird but managed to tighten the cassette to the specified torque with no issues. As soon as I put it on the bike, I realised that the cassette was not entirely straight when spinning the wheel.

Because this was a new cassette, I suspected about a dodgy cassete and tried a used one and got the same alignment problem. Upon inspection I noticed that the freehub body was marked from the cassette in some parts but not others, which upon on closer inspection it seems where the larger cog sits on is larger on some parts than others. This leads to the cassette not sitting entirely flush with the freehub body and being positioned at a slight angle instead.
I have raised this with Angela on Whatsapp but still waiting for an answer 48h later. Will post on AliExpress and email as well. Hoping this can just be solved with a new freehub body. Will update the review when I hear back.

Video link showing the cassette not sitting flush: https://youtu.be/oKz2Jz3lDhM
My box is fully intact but the cassette also wobbles. I could not notice anything during the ride but just looking at it while back pedaling. What did farsport said? Are you sending you a replacement free hub? I have contacted them too but waiting for the reply.

4le91

by 4le91

Here the video https://youtube.com/shorts/ImYrOzyt7QU? ... u7dWfHjb_A same cassette on fulcrum is straight. Nothing strange can be felt during ride

lemeneid

by lemeneid

Anyone have issues with their bearings?

I heard some noise from the RD270 hubs and pulled them out looking like this. barely 6 months and the bike is maintained well and never ridden in the rain either.
IMG_6277.jpeg

bmrk

by bmrk

lemeneid wrote:Anyone have issues with their bearings?

I heard some noise from the RD270 hubs and pulled them out looking like this. barely 6 months and the bike is maintained well and never ridden in the rain either.
IMG_6277.jpeg
I had to replace only the free hub bearings after 6 months of riding in all conditions, with lots of wet and rain.

The outer bearing had seized and the interior one was notchy.

It was earlier than expected but I did not think it was a problem of bad bearings at the time.

After pulling them I noticed clear signs off water ingress on the free hub.

The bearings that came in my set are S&S with red seals.

Replaced the free hub bearings and packed a good amount of grease under all hub caps to avoid water ingress.

The discolored one in the pictures below is the outer bearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lemeneid

by lemeneid

bmrk wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 5:48 am
lemeneid wrote:Anyone have issues with their bearings?

IMG_6277.jpeg
I had to replace only the free hub bearings after 6 months of riding in all conditions, with lots of wet and rain.

The outer bearing had seized and the interior one was notchy.

It was earlier than expected but I did not think it was a problem of bad bearings at the time.

After pulling them I noticed clear signs off water ingress on the free hub.

The bearings that came in my set are S&S with red seals.

Replaced the free hub bearings and packed a good amount of grease under all hub caps to avoid water ingress.

The discolored one in the pictures below is the outer bearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you know if yours are ceramic or steel? I've been trying to find these bearings online and so far nothing turns out.

I had opted for ceramic bearings as they were free upgrade at my time of purchase, but surprised there is rust from ceramic bearings 🤔

As a comparison, I did a replacement for Enduro bearings on my bike on my BB which is 2 years now, none of this rust observed, and still running relatively smooth but a little worn.