Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

What plagues me, no access holes seems nice, but i heard i might see a big cost when i need to true wheels like this?
For that sake, would it be better to go for access holes?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

ddddd1

by ddddd1

Why would it make problem for truing? The nipples are not hidden (actually cannot even be hidden) with no access holes. Only problem is with replacing nipples, but even that is not that hard for any semi-skilled mechanic. But I guess, if you're not running tubeless, there's no point to not have access holes.
Enid: Scott Addict RC Ultimate Team Ed - 7.2 kg (in. pedals and bottle cages)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Yeah, for me, it's either hidden nip with access hole.
Or
exposed nip without access hole.
Both are truable.

exposed nip with access hole only make it easier to replace spoke/nipple.

hidden nip without access hole is not possible to build.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

ddddd1 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:53 pm
Why would it make problem for truing? The nipples are not hidden (actually cannot even be hidden) with no access holes. Only problem is with replacing nipples, but even that is not that hard for any semi-skilled mechanic. But I guess, if you're not running tubeless, there's no point to not have access holes.
It's taking more labour time as i understood, that's probably what is costing more.
Otherwise i would prefer no access holes either tubeless or with inner tubes.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Aeo

by Aeo

Campagnolo is doing hidden nipple without access holes, obviously you need a special tool for the nipple
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

flmo

by flmo

Hi, looking to get a new disc wheelset. Around 45mm depth and obviously light weight. the LB AR45 seem like a good set and when confirgured with a decent hub, the claimed weight is really lowy. I also like the flyweight option, given that I only weigh about 63kg and an material which would support 100kg+ would be pointless grams.

Problaby this has been answered in the last c. 200pages already a few times but are there any considerations / drawbacks when the AR45 are compared against "standard" brands?

With my configuration and the current USD / EUR rate, I am in the EUR 1.8-2.0k range. Not sure I'll find something comparable with this weight at this price.

EDIT: Never mind. Just ordered the AR45 with DT Swiss 180 :)

ziocomposite

by ziocomposite

floriansantana wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:48 pm
Can someone who recently ordered a wheelset give an update on the current timeline? I ordered quick buy wheels about a year ago and they arrived within 4 to 5 weeks. Custom wheels took 2-3 months last year. So what’s realistic right now?
Looking like 2 months for Custom Order. Ordered from Global Store Aug 10 and selected MTS Air. UPS tracking was generated Sep 22 and the finally registered in the system and in USA today Sep 30. Estimated delivery day of Oct 4.

ouengineer17

by ouengineer17

ddddd1 wrote:
I order all my wheels without spoke holes when available just because I hate rim tape.

For latex tubes, rough rim tape will wear thin spots in the tubes over time, and while it's never caused a flat, it still worries me. Installing tubeless tape, fixes this, but then thats an extra step I have to do and then maintain.

Also for really tight GP5k tires (clinchers or tubeless), no rim tape means a slightly smaller diameter to help install the tire easier.

ouengineer17

by ouengineer17

Jasonlelam wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:00 am
https://www.lightbicycle.com/AR25-Disc- ... -Deep.html a very ineresting bead hook type "Hybrid hook", 250g is quite stuning.... :shock:
Yeah, very interested in these. My Crux just built up at 16.25lbs with Zipp 303 Firecrest wheels and 40mm tires (17.95lbs after adding cages, pedals, Garmin mount, and flat kit); and these would shave about 300g off that when built up with DT 240 hubs. The question is whether or not I can give up the 2w of aero savings and if I trust the durability of the AR25 compared to the phenomenal Zipp 303 indestructibility reputation. The easy answer is that I need both, but after just buying a new bike this year, that's definitely a no-go from the wife.

Hoping someone will chime in over the next year about gravel experiences with this new rim so I can make a decision in time for next year's Black Friday sale.

Aeo

by Aeo

303 is not indestructible
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

matcav

by matcav

matcav wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:15 pm
floriansantana wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:48 pm
Custom wheels took 2-3 months last year. So what’s realistic right now?
I ordered a WR45 wheelset (custom, global shop) on 24 august, and still work in progress.
I'd expect to receive it not before another month.
It arrived today, so it took 57 days from the order to delivery in my place in Germany.

looks very nice - great packaging, fantastic rims (25/32 width looks huge!). Great overall experience.
On the scale, it's 1489gr - with Bitex hubs & pillar spokes, plus tape, minus valves
Attachments
PXL_20221019_121307630.jpg

ouengineer17

by ouengineer17

Aeo wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:34 am
303 is not indestructible
Yeah, should have said "near indestructable", though that is a much smaller bump than I would have expected to break one. Might have been a carbon layup manufacturing defect. I've certainly put my pair through quite a bit. But I also bought them used and don't have that fantastic Zipp warranty. Considering I should be able to sell them for what I paid for them last year, it's very tempting to give the AR25 a try now. Just have to convince myself that the 1.8w at 30kph (or 7s over 40km) aero advantage can be made up with lower rolling resistance from better wheel compliance (or just by wearing my aero socks...). If they have the same Black Friday sale as last year, and shipping isn't completely outrageous, I might go for it.

Aeo

by Aeo

15% Black Friday sale, just send them an email 8)

RDY

by RDY

Aeo wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:25 pm
15% Black Friday sale, just send them an email 8)
You mean they're giving out the code already?

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

ouengineer17 wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:53 pm
ddddd1 wrote:
I order all my wheels without spoke holes when available just because I hate rim tape.

For latex tubes, rough rim tape will wear thin spots in the tubes over time, and while it's never caused a flat, it still worries me. Installing tubeless tape, fixes this, but then thats an extra step I have to do and then maintain.

Also for really tight GP5k tires (clinchers or tubeless), no rim tape means a slightly smaller diameter to help install the tire easier.
For me, the lack of tape meant that the tyre (GP5000 STR) was too lose on the rim and needed a compressor to inflate/seat. It would also come off to the centre channel too easily when deflated (not a goot thing with tubeless both for safety and for reinflating on the road). Result is that I added two layers of tape even though my rim bed has no spoke holes and does not technically need the tape. So my suggestion would be to order with spoke holes and with rim tape installed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com