Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
bsharp77

by bsharp77

Mcdeez wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:04 am
Is light bicycle wheels weight accurate?

I'm interested in the falcon Pro ar25 wheel set, supposed to be around 1022g for a disc wheels set

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
I'll weigh them as soon as they arrive Mcdeez - obviously not the same as what you're after, but helpful to know if they come in at the stated weight.
They were coming up at 1330g during the order process - so not super light, but having the brass nipples increased the weight slightly - a fair trade off for something that should give an extra bit of durability.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

Are bitex hubs worth it?

Aesch

by Aesch

bsharp77 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:54 am
Mcdeez wrote:

I'm interested in the falcon Pro ar25 wheel set, supposed to be around 1022g for a disc wheels set

I'll weigh them as soon as they arrive Mcdeez - obviously not the same as what you're after, but helpful to know if they come in at the stated weight.
They were coming up at 1330g during the order process - so not super light, but having the brass nipples increased the weight slightly - a fair trade off for something that should give an extra bit of durability.
My rim orders so far (4x) where within 2 grams of predicted.

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

Aesch wrote:
bsharp77 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:54 am
Mcdeez wrote:

My rim orders so far (4x) where within 2 grams of predicted.
Awesome!

GlasNago

by GlasNago

bsharp77 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:37 am
bsharp77 wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:54 am
Just oredered a set of R25 wheels.

Rim brake, grooved graphene braking surface
UD Braided finish
Oil Slick Brass Nipples
CX-Ray Spokes
Bitex RAF Hubs
Oil Slick Decals

Should really compliment by TCR SL build. Wheels wont be here for 6-8 weeks due to holidays and delivery, but worth waiting for.
Just had photos through of the wheels, cannot wait to try them out.

bout ye bsharp77
great looking wheels and will be parful on a tcr. did you read any reviews of the graphene brake track before purchasing?
all the best
3.990 kilo cannondale supersix himod (2016)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=160600#p1549663

bsharp77

by bsharp77

bout ye bsharp77
great looking wheels and will be parful on a tcr. did you read any reviews of the graphene brake track before purchasing?
all the best
Hi GlasNago,

I didnt read anything about the graphene braking surface - anything I shoudl be aware of?
Assumed it would be an upgrade on the standard braking surface, plus the fact the finish looks quite nice, so I went for it.

Happy to report back once I give them a proper testing.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

bsharp77 wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:51 am
bout ye bsharp77
all the best
Hi GlasNago,

I didnt read anything about the graphene braking surface - anything I shoudl be aware of?
Assumed it would be an upgrade on the standard braking surface, plus the fact the finish looks quite nice, so I went for it.

This long thread has enough answers about the brake tracks. You just have to dedicate time to scan through historical data. If you don't plan to ride in foul-weather, the grooved graphene brake track offers zero advantage. Needless to say it's noisier and eat up pads at a faster rate.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

tiz92

by tiz92

Mcdeez wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:58 pm
Are bitex hubs worth it?

Big YES. Used bitex 312 on my training wheelset (laced to farsports rims) for over 13.000 km now, zero issues. Just bearing replacement but I used them in every weather.

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

tiz92 wrote:
Mcdeez wrote:
Are bitex hubs worth it?

Big YES. Used bitex 312 on my training wheelset (laced to farsports rims) for over 13.000 km now, zero issues. Just bearing replacement but I used them in every weather.
Thanks for the input Image

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

tiz92 wrote:
Mcdeez wrote:
Are bitex hubs worth it?

How loud are those wheels?(i like louder hubs)

There's like 6 paws, so guess its gonna sound like winspace wheels?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

mpulsiv wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:01 pm
This long thread has enough answers about the brake tracks. You just have to dedicate time to scan through historical data. If you don't plan to ride in foul-weather, the grooved graphene brake track offers zero advantage. Needless to say it's noisier and eat up pads at a faster rate.
Well, dry braking is never a problem though. It's wet braking that we need all the improvements.
Sacrificing a bit of brake pads wear and brake noise for better wet braking performance sound like a good deal to me.

jch3n

by jch3n

Mcdeez wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:03 pm
How loud are those wheels?(i like louder hubs)

There's like 6 paws, so guess its gonna sound like winspace wheels?
Bitex hubs aren't particularly loud. I don't have any Winspace wheels, but from some quick Youtube sound checks, my impression is that Bitex isn't as loud.

GlasNago

by GlasNago

bsharp77 wrote:
bout ye bsharp77
all the best
Hi GlasNago,

thanks the zipp equivalent showstopper etched rims get good reviews so hopefully the LB rims will be more robust with graphene and mpulsiv has contributed below with a brief likely functionality , guilty as charged re dipping my toe in a >200 pg thread

GlasNago

by GlasNago

mpulsiv wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:01 pm
bsharp77 wrote:
bout ye bsharp77
all the best
Hi GlasNago,

Assumed it would be an upgrade on the standard braking surface, plus the fact t he finish looks quite nice, so I went for it.

thanks mpulsiv yeah wasn't in the mood to sift through the thread for shame. nothing can be as noisy as the disc brakes on my winter bike, Ay, chihuahua!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

minecraftguy69

by minecraftguy69

hi, looking to build AR55 rims with carbon-ti X-Hubs, 20 front/24 rear spoke count with cx-ray front+back and the flyweight option. i am 77kg with a decent sprint (1500w). will i have issues with this build at my weight and wattage?