Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
ouengineer17

by ouengineer17

Update: pulled the trigger on the AR25 for my gravel bike. They are running a special on them with the exact build I want (CX Ray spokes, Carbon Ti CL hubs, no logo) and when I emailed them about getting it with the XDR freehub, they emailed back with a link to purchase early, so I went for it. Hopefully can still sell the Zipp 303 Firecrest for a decent price with them being on sale everywhere right now.

VeloCris

by VeloCris

ouengineer17 wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:54 am
Update: pulled the trigger on the AR25 for my gravel bike. They are running a special on them with the exact build I want (CX Ray spokes, Carbon Ti CL hubs, no logo) and when I emailed them about getting it with the XDR freehub, they emailed back with a link to purchase early, so I went for it. Hopefully can still sell the Zipp 303 Firecrest for a decent price with them being on sale everywhere right now.
what made you decide this way? was looking at these 2 for my gravel bike as well but idk if 25 is deep enough, and why do you want the lightest weight possible? i would think for gravel you want something really sturdy no?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

grnrcr

by grnrcr

Anyone riding WR50 and/or WR65 on chunky gravel? I have a set of flyweight WR50+65 on carbon ti hubs. Been running them on road. Thinking about throwing 45mm terra speeds on them but wonder how durable they are gonna be.

matteof93

by matteof93

What's your take on Light Bicycle rims vs FarSport rims?

i.e. LB's Falcon Pro AR 45 disc vs FarSport Kaze 45 disc. FarSport is about 100$ cheaper than LB for a set of rims (delivered to EU). Never seen any rim or wheelset made by these companies...but LB's rims don't look like they are worth 100$ more than FarSport.

jch3n

by jch3n

VeloCris wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:33 pm
what made you decide this way? was looking at these 2 for my gravel bike as well but idk if 25 is deep enough, and why do you want the lightest weight possible? i would think for gravel you want something really sturdy no?
I'm in the same boat looking at these for gravel. The fact that these rims were designed for XC/gravel would seem to suggest they'll hold up. Where I live, most of my gravel rides involve a crap ton of climbing so light weight is a priority. I don't ride fast or aggressive enough to be concerned about aero or rim dingers.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

grnrcr wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:21 pm
Anyone riding WR50 and/or WR65 on chunky gravel? I have a set of flyweight WR50+65 on carbon ti hubs. Been running them on road. Thinking about throwing 45mm terra speeds on them but wonder how durable they are gonna be.
I have a set of WR35's on my gravel bike (24/28) and they're solid. No issues running on some chunky stuff (which is plentiful, here in Texas). The only issue I've had is fitting a Cushcore liner on the rim (it won't fit).

ouengineer17

by ouengineer17

VeloCris wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:33 pm
ouengineer17 wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:54 am
For the gravel riding I usually do and my riding style, I'm not as concerned about durability as someone who is going on blue MTB trails regularly.

25mm deep is likely for maximum strength at the lowest weight. I would prefer something like the Enve AG25 rim at 21mm depth (or the Reserve 25 GR) for more compliance, but this should be much better than my current 40mm depth wheel. According to Swiss Side it's about a 1.8w aero penalty at 30kph to go from 40mm deep to 25mm deep, but I'm ok with that at this time.

I want lightweight just for ride feel. My Crux is already ridiculous light and these wheels will get it close to my road bike in weight. I'm kinda going down the weight weenie rabbit hole just because I'm riding so much more recently and really loving how a light, responsive bike feels to ride.

So to sum it up, I'm sacrificing a very minor amount of speed for ride feel and comfort.

ouengineer17

by ouengineer17

grnrcr wrote:
They'll likely be great for smooth gravel paths and standard dirt roads, but you'll want to be careful around anything chunky and/or big rocks. Basically the same limitations as I will likely have with my AR25 on order. Since the worst terrain I normally ride is smooth singletrack and steep mountain roads with horrendous washboard, I'm optimistic it will be fine.

warthog101

by warthog101

grnrcr wrote:

I have WR50s with DT Swiss350 hubs and 24spoke.
Have run them a little on gravel roads.
They have road tyres on now though to allow use of the gravelly on road.
Had no probs on the dirt but didn't find any appreciable speed difference between them and the DT Swiss GR1600 wheels I also have with 40mm gravel tyres on.
The GR1600 are aluminium so less worried about rock strike marking them up.
I do a few gravel bunch rides and quite a bit of stuff gets thrown up by other bikes.

uppis

by uppis

grnrcr wrote:
Have been riding on WR50 hookless with Terra speed 40mm for 3000km or so. Anything from singletrack to tarmac, including gravel races. No complaints, the wheels have survived some pretty harsh hits.

Prippo

by Prippo

Hi everyone!
I am contemplating getting a set of LB wheels during the coming sale. At the moment I am a bit torn between the AR55 and AR56 but if anything I am leaning towards the AR55 mostly because of weight (flyweight) and looks. I am a fairly light rider at 66kg and I ride exclusively on paved surfaces (of varying quality) and will be using a 28c tyre for improved comfort. Does it make more sense to go with the AR56 when combining the wheel with a 28c tyre to optimise aero or is the 21/28 AR55 "good enough" in that aspect? Finally, how does the LB wheels stack up in terms of build quality compared to mainstream offerings in the "same" price bracket like Shimano Ultegra, Zipp 303/404 firecrest and DT Swiss Arc 1400?

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Prippo wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:43 pm
Hi everyone!
I am contemplating getting a set of LB wheels during the coming sale. At the moment I am a bit torn between the AR55 and AR56 but if anything I am leaning towards the AR55 mostly because of weight (flyweight) and looks. I am a fairly light rider at 66kg and I ride exclusively on paved surfaces (of varying quality) and will be using a 28c tyre for improved comfort. Does it make more sense to go with the AR56 when combining the wheel with a 28c tyre to optimise aero or is the 21/28 AR55 "good enough" in that aspect? Finally, how does the LB wheels stack up in terms of build quality compared to mainstream offerings in the "same" price bracket like Shimano Ultegra, Zipp 303/404 firecrest and DT Swiss Arc 1400?
Prippo, I have LightBicycle AR36s with DT Swiss 180 hubs and Specialized Roval CX32s at more than twice the price, and I think they are about the same in quality (both high). Also, the LBs weighed materially LESS than the quoted weight.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Also, I received an e mail from LB stating that they were having an up to 20% (not 10%) off sale from 22 to 30 November. They also sent me a code for an extra 2% off that anyone can use (and I get $10) -- DL3MFLWH
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

scico

by scico

I don't understand how to activate the coupon code...
and they say up to 20% and extra 5%, wich is the extra 5% code?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TTRV

by TTRV

scico wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:54 pm
I don't understand how to activate the coupon code...
and they say up to 20% and extra 5%, wich is the extra 5% code?
I asked them here's their answer:

"20%off is for 3 models wheelset listed on the middle of page.
(AR25)
The extra 5% off will be applied to the bike frameset if you purchase rim/wheelset together."