AX Lightness Ultra

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Vuong05

by Vuong05

I also have a pair of Ultra 28C and the braking on them is very good (maybe not Bora good, but close). My wheelset is from 2016, and I use the AX Lightness pads. They are very linear and do not pulse in any way no matter what. Total weight with rim tape is 1081g (F: 491g, R: 590g) Hopefully you get it sorted out with Nils.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I used to have a lot of sidewind action on my narrow box shaped alloy rims. Going to deep 58mm carbon didn't make things worse.

I think it had to do with the tire not balloning anymore. Pick a tire that ends up becoming the same width as the rim itself, especially on the front wheel.

I'm now building a new generation chinese wheelset and using cheap parts I get to below 1200gr for a 38mm clincher with textured brake tracks. With exclusive hubs you can do 1200gr for a 50mm clincher set. 28mm wide toroidal. Enve inspired brake tracks. (The rear wheel is costing me under 150usd total and I can choose all the parts and lacing pattern.)

I will always be lusting to try a shallow tubular wheelset. I just don't know if I'm ready for tubulars yet. A wheelset that sees few km because of tire price or fear of punctures is no fun. Carrying cheap spares on a ride cancels out any weight advantage.

Is this wheel an ax 25 wheel?
Attachments
mmexport1546475602999.jpg

Vuong05

by Vuong05

alcatraz wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:33 am
I used to have a lot of sidewind action on my narrow box shaped alloy rims. Going to deep 58mm carbon didn't make things worse.

I think it had to do with the tire not balloning anymore. Pick a tire that ends up becoming the same width as the rim itself, especially on the front wheel.

I'm now building a new generation chinese wheelset and using cheap parts I get to below 1200gr for a 38mm clincher with textured brake tracks. With exclusive hubs you can do 1200gr for a 50mm clincher set. 28mm wide toroidal. Enve inspired brake tracks. (The rear wheel is costing me under 150usd total and I can choose all the parts and lacing pattern.)

I will always be lusting to try a shallow tubular wheelset. I just don't know if I'm ready for tubulars yet. A wheelset that sees few km because of tire price or fear of punctures is no fun. Carrying cheap spares on a ride cancels out any weight advantage.

It's hard to say from that angle, but I think that is an AX 24 wheel? Others can chime in, but I don't think the new AX 25 wheels have that raised AX logo on the rim like in your picture.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

Vilsheimer

by Vilsheimer

alcatraz wrote: I used to have a lot of sidewind action on my narrow box shaped alloy rims. Going to deep 58mm carbon didn't make things worse.

The AX-F 5*** serial number suggests that it's a 2015 version if that helps.

Vilsheimer

by Vilsheimer

So - round-up from my side.
After not having heard back from AX for 6 weeks and having chased them 3 times, I finally decided to give Nils a call last week.
Summary is: They weighted all the other 2019 Ultra 28Cs that they had in stock (~20) and all of them were surprisingly much heavier than they should have been. None of them was significantly (>10g) lighter than my set at 1235g and a few even a good amount heavier.
They don't know why and don't have an explanation for that.

So unfortunately no chance for me to exchange against a wheelset that is closer to the 1150g (+tape) that they claimed.

They excused themselves but didn't offer anything to make up for this - just told me to give him a shout in case I would ever wanna buy sth else from AX to make sure I receive the best possible service.
I urged them to at least update the weight on their homepage - and he said a fully new webpage was gonna come online in Feb. Tbh I doubt they'll update the weight though...

Their wheels' main selling argument is simply the weight. Cheating on that and not replying to an unsatisfied customer for 6 weeks is quite bad. It might be market practice to do so, but I will clearly keep that in mind for future purchases.

He mentioned a rough guess of 40g for the tapes - which sounds quite high to me. Might need to take it off anyways as the tubeless setup was leaking air through some spoke holes. Would certainly put it on the scales then.

EDIT: just taken off the tape as it didn't seal properly (valve hole too big). 8g / wheel. Doesn't make things any better...

RippedUp

by RippedUp

Hi all,
Any new experience with the Ultra 28C TLR, with a tubeless tire setup?
I'm interested in getting a pair. Any thought?
Cheers

Vilsheimer

by Vilsheimer

Hey RippedUp, so I've been riding them for about a month now as winter is finally over.
My experience (apart from the weight issues above):
- tubeless setup was rather seamless (apart from the fact that I had to re-tape them). Using Schwalbe Pro One 25s with just 30 ml of mucoff sealant. While I didn't get them seated with just a floor pump, the schwalbe compressor did the job without any issues.
- ride quality is great. I'm riding 6.25 bar in the back, 6 in the front - so a bit on the high side for my 72 kgs. They do roll much smoother than my Boras with conti 4000 s 2s. Won't go back to clinchers. Road vibrations (even on smooth swiss roads) are significantly dampened.
- climbing with wheels that weight is a pure pleasure. Braking on the descents is good. Not bora-like, but good and no issues.
- depending on your weight, wheel flex might be an issue though. I like to run my pads close to the rims (1mm) and didn't manage to find a setup where the back wheel doesn't rub significantly when climbing out of the saddle. It also seems like the rim of the back wheel de-centers 1mm and pulls over to the left as soon as I'm only sitting on the bike. So i basically needed to center the calipers under load (easy enough with eebrakes). Now running them ~2mm away from the rim and no more issues with wheel rub.
Will check with Nils though if that's normal or if there's an issue with the spoke tension.
My verdict is: good wheels, recommended, but worth checking if there's alternatives. TLR is a must though for me now. Might revise my thoughts after the first puncture though. ;)

Lafolie

by Lafolie

i as just checking out the 55 ultra, but I think I wil go bora ultra 50 instead :-)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I have probably the older then, I don't remember the name, but they are 38T with Tune Mig45/ Mag150.
Weighted at 1010 grams
Wet is not great, but i have no wheels with good wet braking.
Or, you need to use softer pads. BP use hard compound.

Problems - None noted. I still feel they work as good as a deeper wheelset.
I ride solo, alot of swirl winds overhere.
I am 82Kgs
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

Hello,

can anybody tell, from which generation this wheels/rims are coming, and if they are recommandable?
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anz ... 0-230-5423

thank you, regards

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

sorry to dig up an old thread but this is probably related enough that i shouldnt start a new topic.

Any one know if the AX Ultra 55t is still in production? it's shown out of stock on Benobikes for a while. i emailed them but heard nothing back. Anyone ? :beerchug:
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Just to show what can be built with the 25T rims, here's a set at 711g.
I do customize the hubs to save further weight.
Attachments
AXL.25T.Rim.Front.hub.jpg
AXL.25T.Rim.Front.scale.jpg
AXL.25T.Rim.Rear.hub.jpg
AXL.25T.Rim.Rear.scale.jpg

alcatraz

by alcatraz

UpFromOne wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:44 am
Just to show what can be built with the 25T rims, here's a set at 711g.
I do customize the hubs to save further weight.
Those rims don't look like the older rims. Are they ax 25t?

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Yep, 25T. AX is now attaching a small vinyl sticker to their stock wheel, as the sidewalls are all smooth.
Which is how to tell if a rim is 24T (or any early model), the 3D embossing into the carbon ended a few years ago.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

So I went back into my skunkworks and made further mods to the front wheel.
Substituting an Ultra series rim at 194g (lightest I had), and fabricating a custom carbon 15mm axle for the CyberFront SP,
the front wheel is now 296g. This is now the lightest wheel I've ever built in my life.

So with the existing rear at 404g (above in this thread), this tubular wheelset is now 700g. exact.
Attachments
AXL.Ultra24T.front.whole.jpg
AXL.Ultra24T.front.scale.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com