Making the transition to tubulars

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
octav

by octav

And compared to Conti Competition they would be smoother? The corsas
For 28mm; I need to check with a caliper if it fits on the frame :D

charirider

by charirider

octav wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:56 pm
And compared to Conti Competition they would be smoother? The corsas
For 28mm; I need to check with a caliper if it fits on the frame :D
I'd stick to Conti Comp. Corsa is too puncture prone IMO.
For puncture reistance - conti, for ride comfort - veloflex/fmb.
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.9kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.8kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

DHG01 wrote:Corsa Controls are good. On normal roads (with some grit), I am fine with standard Corsa.

Some other options in 27-30mm. Bike24 filters shows quite a few models. Veloflex is expensive; Challenge has good offers - but I have had them fail in the past and the ones with latex inner tubes get more pricey.
Veloflex are expensive? They are priced below Vittoria despite being Italian made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DHG01

by DHG01

ultimobici wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:29 pm
DHG01 wrote:Corsa Controls are good. On normal roads (with some grit), I am fine with standard Corsa.

Some other options in 27-30mm. Bike24 filters shows quite a few models. Veloflex is expensive; Challenge has good offers - but I have had them fail in the past and the ones with latex inner tubes get more pricey.
j
Veloflex are expensive? They are priced below Vittoria despite being Italian made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
May well be the case. Never found Veloflex below €60: never paid more than €60 for Corsas (which may well likely change shortly).

stermyx

by stermyx

Hello,

I buyed my first tubular wheels to try to get my bike lighter. Can you recommend me some tubulars??

- Some of the lightests ones
- Balanced between weight, puncture resistance and performance

Thanks

C36

by C36

stermyx wrote:Hello,

I buyed my first tubular wheels to try to get my bike lighter. Can you recommend me some tubulars??

Thanks
Race day, very light : Vittoria corsa speed (and it still has some puncture protection)

Great balance : Veloflex pro tour race I think I have more than 2500km on my pair and no cuts or abnormal wear.

stermyx

by stermyx

C36 wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:32 pm
stermyx wrote:Hello,

Thanks
Race day, very light : Vittoria corsa speed (and it still has some puncture protection)

Great balance : Veloflex pro tour race I think I have more than 2500km on my pair and no cuts or abnormal wear.
Thank you for your response. I was viewing the Vittoria Corsa Speed a few days ago, and when i went to Vittoria website i saw the performance chart and was a bit worried about the grip and puncture resistance, mainly the grip:
Vittoria Corsa Speed.JPG

C36

by C36

Hum I never had an issue but that was on perfect-day alpes climbing-rides. I haven’t face grip issues either cornering or sprinting.

I went through 2 pairs without a picture (but I punctured rarely, once in… last 5 years I think), the second one died locking the wheel when an animal crossed the road downhilling… completed the ride on the puncture protection.

stermyx

by stermyx

C36 wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:14 pm
Hum I never had an issue but that was on perfect-day alpes climbing-rides. I haven’t face grip issues either cornering or sprinting.

I went through 2 pairs without a picture (but I punctured rarely, once in… last 5 years I think), the second one died locking the wheel when an animal crossed the road downhilling… completed the ride on the puncture protection.
Thanks for share your experience, what about the grip??. For now i have like 3 candidates, Tufo Elite S3, Continental Competition and Vittoria Corsa Speed, in this order.

Do you have any experience with Tufo?

C36

by C36

Never used Tufo… cause they have a terrible reputation to be hard, dead and big rolling resistance.
Continental don’t feel very different from a tire with butyl inner tube, they don’t give you this distinctive road feel than tubulars can provide (and have quite a high rolling resistance).

stermyx

by stermyx

C36 wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:13 pm
Never used Tufo… cause they have a terrible reputation to be hard, dead and big rolling resistance.
Continental don’t feel very different from a tire with butyl inner tube, they don’t give you this distinctive road feel than tubulars can provide (and have quite a high rolling resistance).
I really appreciate your help, you seem very experienced in tubulars.

Then between Vittoria corsa speed and for example another like Veloflex ProTour or ProTour Race?? Did you tried the Veloflex?? Which have better grip and protection??

C36

by C36

stermyx wrote:
C36 wrote:

Then between Vittoria corsa speed and for example another like Veloflex ProTour or ProTour Race?? Did you tried the Veloflex?? Which have better grip and protection??
I do now use the ProTour race. To me the best option when you want to stay away from exclusive-use tubulars, fantastic road touch.

Corsa speed do feel snappier and are likely lower RR but you have definitively less durability.

stermyx

by stermyx

C36 wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:31 pm
stermyx wrote:
C36 wrote:

I do now use the ProTour race. To me the best option when you want to stay away from exclusive-use tubulars, fantastic road touch.

Corsa speed do feel snappier and are likely lower RR but you have definitively less durability.
Thanks, i really dont mind about the durability, i just want at least some puncture protection and good grip.

stermyx

by stermyx

Just installed the Vittoria Corsa Speed. Is it normal to lose a lot of pressure? Inflated to 163 PSI and 2 days ago it is at 96 PSI (didnt ride the bike).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ico

by ico

If there is a latex tube in it, it is ok.