Craft Racing wheels - carbon spokes 1180g

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
hannawald
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:28 pm
Location: Czech Republic

by hannawald

LRB23 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 10:51 am
patliean1 wrote:Cross post from the SL8 thread.

CRW CS5060s
That looks so fresh!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, the low spoke count does really look nice. I just can´t stand the graphics. I have a black frame so I want my wheel logos to be visible, similar to wheel version ridden in the pro peloton. CRW gold version is still available but the font is not my cup of tea, it is somehow messy, scattered... I like Princeton graphics, Craftworx, I don´t mind Pertual Sharp from Panda Podium offer, but they are only 28mm external and not having those new generation spokes. I am OK with FAR sports from Chinese brands, but they don´t offer full graphics on their Wheelsfar series and the RD270 series is plain without proud branding. If only CRW have different graphics I would buy them immediately. For now I am waiting if something different appears... (Newmen is promising).

Dentaltechbiker
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:41 am

by Dentaltechbiker

hannawald wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 11:58 am
LRB23 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 10:51 am
patliean1 wrote:Cross post from the SL8 thread.

CRW CS5060s
That looks so fresh!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, the low spoke count does really look nice. I just can´t stand the graphics. I have a black frame so I want my wheel logos to be visible, similar to wheel version ridden in the pro peloton. CRW gold version is still available but the font is not my cup of tea, it is somehow messy, scattered... I like Princeton graphics, Craftworx, I don´t mind Pertual Sharp from Panda Podium offer, but they are only 28mm external and not having those new generation spokes. I am OK with FAR sports from Chinese brands, but they don´t offer full graphics on their Wheelsfar series and the RD270 series is plain without proud branding. If only CRW have different graphics I would buy them immediately. For now I am waiting if something different appears... (Newmen is promising).
I agree, would love to see a V2 of the CRW wheels with better font/graphics. in matte black as well. maybe it would even save a few grams on the finish

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



ChinaCycling
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:49 am

by ChinaCycling

Dentaltechbiker wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:09 am
hannawald wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 11:58 am
LRB23 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 10:51 am
patliean1 wrote:Cross post from the SL8 thread.

CRW CS5060s
That looks so fresh!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, the low spoke count does really look nice. I just can´t stand the graphics. I have a black frame so I want my wheel logos to be visible, similar to wheel version ridden in the pro peloton. CRW gold version is still available but the font is not my cup of tea, it is somehow messy, scattered... I like Princeton graphics, Craftworx, I don´t mind Pertual Sharp from Panda Podium offer, but they are only 28mm external and not having those new generation spokes. I am OK with FAR sports from Chinese brands, but they don´t offer full graphics on their Wheelsfar series and the RD270 series is plain without proud branding. If only CRW have different graphics I would buy them immediately. For now I am waiting if something different appears... (Newmen is promising).
I agree, would love to see a V2 of the CRW wheels with better font/graphics. in matte black as well. maybe it would even save a few grams on the finish
We still have white stickers for the CRW thats an option.
The font / deisgn of the CRWs isn't my fav in the world, but it's grown on me. I'm sure there'll be an update at some point in the future. (No plans tho)
Matt black would be heavier, because you'd need to add paint to cover the carbon. They could sand down the current finish to make it more "satin" and less glossy... but, its muchos messy and would probably slow down production. I also think glossy surfaces are faster for aero, as glossy = smooth and smooth = fast..... maybe.


rdhb
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:28 am

by rdhb

Vuong05 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 6:15 pm
rdhb wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 2:23 pm
My Supersix with the 6575s 🚀
Image
Image
Image
Those 65/75 deep combo looks amazing. Any feedback on how they ride and feel? Hopefully you get an opportunity to try them on a windy day as well.

Cheers.
They are awesome. Extremely quick on the flats, and remarkably light for their depth. The crosswind stability is obviously not as good as a shallow wheel, but I find it managable unless I'm moving really fast on a descent (and I only weigh 52 kg). I think the super wide front rim helps with this. The handling feels similar to 50mm wheels I've used that have a narrower profile. So in comparison to most mid-depth wheels, the 6575 gives you better aero without a weight or handling penalty. Pretty sweet!

rdhb
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:28 am

by rdhb

AM7Jeremy wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 3:22 pm
rdhb wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 2:23 pm
My Supersix with the 6575s 🚀
Image
Image
Image
What size frameset?
It's a 51

Nickldn
Posts: 2012
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:35 am

by Nickldn

ChinaCycling wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:30 pm
I just did a huge in-depth comparison between the Roval Rapide CLX II and the CRW CS5060.

Lemme know what ya'll think.
Informative comparison, lots of useful insights, thank you.

One thing that caught my eye was the (obviously subjective) handling test. I have been able to corner much more quickly and with a lot of confidence on the CRW5060's with GP5000S TR tyres, it's been a great benefit of the wheelset for me.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

S-Works SL8 Dune White SRAM Red AXS Craft CS5060 wheels Roval Rapide bars 6.6kg

toxin
Posts: 931
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:56 pm

by toxin

ChinaCycling wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:30 pm
I just did a huge in-depth comparison between the Roval Rapide CLX II and the CRW CS5060.

Lemme know what ya'll think.
Very good review, Rovals were definitely hampered by the 28c tire on the back even though the rim profiles are, imo, conceptually better, but thats just how it is when your product is a bit outdated. Interesting how close the cda was.

How did you get those cross section profiles? That's the biggest thing I wish every wheel and tire review featured.

ChinaCycling
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:49 am

by ChinaCycling

toxin wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 5:30 pm
ChinaCycling wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:30 pm
I just did a huge in-depth comparison between the Roval Rapide CLX II and the CRW CS5060.

Lemme know what ya'll think.
Very good review, Rovals were definitely hampered by the 28c tire on the back even though the rim profiles are, imo, conceptually better, but thats just how it is when your product is a bit outdated. Interesting how close the cda was.

How did you get those cross section profiles? That's the biggest thing I wish every wheel and tire review featured.
Play-doh. Haha. Not even joking. Haha. Put it on and let it go hard after a few days, et voila. A mold.

BoulderDad
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 1:54 am

by BoulderDad

ChinaCycling wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 4:43 am
Play-doh. Haha. Not even joking. Haha. Put it on and let it go hard after a few days, et voila. A mold.
That's brilliant! I love simple solutions to complicated problems.

qwertzuiop
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:12 am

by qwertzuiop

This always comes off the wrong way but I'm gonna say it regardless. It's 'derailleur' and 'DT Swiss'

great article, thanks for sharing

CR987
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:37 am

by CR987

ChinaCycling wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:30 pm
I just did a huge in-depth comparison between the Roval Rapide CLX II and the CRW CS5060.

Lemme know what ya'll think.
As am educated guess, how do you think the 40mm CRW's will perform against the 50/60’s from am aero point of view?

mikehhhhhhh
Posts: 467
Joined: Tue May 16, 2023 3:08 pm
Location: UK

by mikehhhhhhh

ChinaCycling wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:30 pm
I just did a huge in-depth comparison between the Roval Rapide CLX II and the CRW CS5060.

Lemme know what ya'll think.
I liked this video, it really gives some appeal to the CRWs, especially as a rapide fan. You kindly already responded to a comment about internal width disparities on youtube but I'm curious - what are others doing about the dispraity in internal width front to rear?

Are you running the same size and accepting the lower volume/narrower fit on the rear?

Do you run wider tyres on the rear? 30/28 perhaps? How does the WAM compare on a setup like this?

As someone who likes to push the rear more to feel/seek grip, A narrower, lower volume rear tyre sounds like it would handle horribly, which may explain the handling preference of the Rovals.

hannawald
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:28 pm
Location: Czech Republic

by hannawald

That is also my concern about these wheels. Sometimes people (or Canyon:) put narrower tire on the front wheel because of aero and wider tire on the rear wheel because of comfort (aero doesn´t matter that much on the rear wheel). I have never seen it vice versa. With Craft it will just make your front tire wider than rear one. Should I compensate with wider nominal width tire on the back?

Nickldn
Posts: 2012
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:35 am

by Nickldn

Roval were the first I think to make the front wheel wider than the rear. And by all accounts the Rapides are some of the fastest wheels out there (in their depth category), even with a narrower and therefore lighter rear.

I think it's fair to say the CRW 5060s are heavily influenced by the Roval Rapides, so not much of a surprise the front is wider then the rear.

The front tyre does more steering and braking duties, so does benefit more from additional width. If the same really true for the rear tyre? If you think so then use a wider tyre, with a minimal aero penalty.

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



Post Reply