FARSPORTS DISC CARBON WHEELSET Test & Review

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Eterna7m
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:25 pm

by Eterna7m

openwheelracing wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:54 pm
are you sure there is no seal? The freehub body appears to have a "lip" that presses against hub shell.
You mean this thing here?

I don't know about the springs, it seems quite purposeful because it's also on the freehub body, but they are definitely not easy to remove or I am missing some obvious trick.
Attachments
IMG_3004.jpeg
IMG_3003.jpeg

openwheelracing
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:41 am

by openwheelracing

ok yeah that's not a seal.

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



lemeneid
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:22 pm

by lemeneid

ullmanz wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:47 pm
lemeneid wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:12 pm
Just got my wheels today. 45 depth wheels checking in at 1181g with rim tape on (front 548g and rear 643g)

Waiting for my Dura Ace casette and rotors to arrive and will install them with GP5000 STR tyres.

IMG_5213.jpeg
are those the Hyper 21/28s?
Yes they are.

Kingston
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:58 pm
Location: Denmark

by Kingston

Aryeh wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:26 pm
martocom wrote:For those with RD270 hub:
Did you go with 36t or 54t ratchet?
I went with 36t. I don't like loud hubs.
Are the 54T much louder than the 36T?
How will I feel teh difference between a 36T and 54T ratchet hub?

bmrk
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:03 pm

by bmrk

Eterna7m wrote:
openwheelracing wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:54 pm
are you sure there is no seal? The freehub body appears to have a "lip" that presses against hub shell.
You mean this thing here?

I don't know about the springs, it seems quite purposeful because it's also on the freehub body, but they are definitely not easy to remove or I am missing some obvious trick.
It’s by design so they sit on the hub and external bearing race without touching the bearing seal, same as on DT hubs.

To pull them out you can just pull sideways from the largest part or use a metal pick to assist.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmrk
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:03 pm

by bmrk

Kingston wrote:
Aryeh wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:26 pm
martocom wrote:For those with RD270 hub:
Did you go with 36t or 54t ratchet?
I went with 36t. I don't like loud hubs.
Are the 54T much louder than the 36T?
How will I feel teh difference between a 36T and 54T ratchet hub?
I’ve replaced mine out of curiosity with a 60t from aliexpress posted earlier in this thread, it is not louder but a higher frequency buzz.

Initially you can feel a bit of the faster engagement and it is nice, but it goes away as soon as you get used to it. As mentioned before there is no performance benefit of upgrading from the 36t.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lemeneid
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:22 pm

by lemeneid

Kingston wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:40 am
Aryeh wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:26 pm
martocom wrote:For those with RD270 hub:
Did you go with 36t or 54t ratchet?
I went with 36t. I don't like loud hubs.
Are the 54T much louder than the 36T?
How will I feel teh difference between a 36T and 54T ratchet hub?
If you turn the wheel one round, you should hear the hub click 54 times if it's a 54T hub. They say the engagement is better with 54T, but for road bikes you don't really feel it as you're consistently pedaling anyway.

ourayimage
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:16 am

by ourayimage

openwheelracing wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:37 pm
Looking for a dedicated set of climbing wheels. It has to go up and descend back down. My choices are Hyper 45mm with carbon spokes and RD270, or Hyper 30mm with Sapim CX Ray and DT240.

Tempted to try carbon spokes, but not sure it's ride quality. Does it provide better power transfer? Only 20 spokes per wheel enough? How about braking? Anyone have issues? So many questions...
I have the 50mm set of wheels with carbon spokes 24mm internal width 30mm external width on a Tarmac SL 8 and they climb and descend very well. Just climbed Double Peak in Carlsbad CA with grades of 16% and 17%. The ride is good on tubeless 28mm Continental GP 5000 TRS. Not too stiff. Accelerates well coming from Roval Rapide CL ii wheels.
Specialized Tarmac SL8

hannawald
Posts: 1676
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:28 pm
Location: Czech Republic

by hannawald

ourayimage wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:47 pm
openwheelracing wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:37 pm
Looking for a dedicated set of climbing wheels. It has to go up and descend back down. My choices are Hyper 45mm with carbon spokes and RD270, or Hyper 30mm with Sapim CX Ray and DT240.

Tempted to try carbon spokes, but not sure it's ride quality. Does it provide better power transfer? Only 20 spokes per wheel enough? How about braking? Anyone have issues? So many questions...
I have the 50mm set of wheels with carbon spokes 24mm internal width 30mm external width on a Tarmac SL 8 and they climb and descend very well. Just climbed Double Peak in Carlsbad CA with grades of 16% and 17%. The ride is good on tubeless 28mm Continental GP 5000 TRS. Not too stiff. Accelerates well coming from Roval Rapide CL ii wheels.
Do you consider it an upgrade from Rovals? They are among the best for aero and cross wind stability properties. Just slightly heavier...

goodboyr
Posts: 1479
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:56 pm
Location: Canada

by goodboyr

lemeneid wrote:
Kingston wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:40 am
Aryeh wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:26 pm
martocom wrote:For those with RD270 hub:
Did you go with 36t or 54t ratchet?
I went with 36t. I don't like loud hubs.
Are the 54T much louder than the 36T?
How will I feel teh difference between a 36T and 54T ratchet hub?
If you turn the wheel one round, you should hear the hub click 54 times if it's a 54T hub. They say the engagement is better with 54T, but for road bikes you don't really feel it as you're consistently pedaling anyway.
There's one other aspect for road riding in 54 vs 36 tooth. Sprinting puts a lot of load on the teeth. The bigger teeth of the 36 ratchet rings handle that load better.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk


George46GR
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: Greece

by George46GR

Kingston wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:40 am
Aryeh wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:26 pm
martocom wrote:For those with RD270 hub:
Did you go with 36t or 54t ratchet?
I went with 36t. I don't like loud hubs.
Are the 54T much louder than the 36T?
How will I feel teh difference between a 36T and 54T ratchet hub?
I have the 54T ratchet instead of the 36T one. It is somewhat noisier, but I like it a lot as the engagement is much more faster.
2023 Cervelo S5, size 56, sapphire/ice

ullmanz
Posts: 242
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:47 pm

by ullmanz

goodboyr wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:35 pm
lemeneid wrote:
Kingston wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:40 am
Aryeh wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:26 pm
I went with 36t. I don't like loud hubs.
Are the 54T much louder than the 36T?
How will I feel teh difference between a 36T and 54T ratchet hub?
If you turn the wheel one round, you should hear the hub click 54 times if it's a 54T hub. They say the engagement is better with 54T, but for road bikes you don't really feel it as you're consistently pedaling anyway.
There's one other aspect for road riding in 54 vs 36 tooth. Sprinting puts a lot of load on the teeth. The bigger teeth of the 36 ratchet rings handle that load better.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk
I would have actually expected 54T to be better because you have more surface area, so it should be less load on each teeth
Specialized SL7 - 7.1kg including Garmin mount, bottle cages and pedals

RadB
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:24 am

by RadB

image.png

goodboyr
Posts: 1479
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:56 pm
Location: Canada

by goodboyr

RadB wrote:
image.png
Yes!!!

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk


by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



RadB
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:24 am

by RadB

I still run 54t in all my wheels 😁

Post Reply