Cadex 65 - Hookless tubular

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Ceel

by Ceel

Hi all,

I am able to get me hands on a pair of new tubular Cadex 65 wheels (rim brakes) at a very affordable price but I am concerned about the safety of the hookless & tubular combination considering my weight (188 cm - 79 kgs) and the pressure limit set by ETRTO for hookless rims. I don't mind the hassle with the tubular tape etc etc.

Any help here is appreciated.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Xabi

by Xabi

Tubulars are hookless by design, there is no hook holding the tire. Glue is used to keep the tire in place.

Tubulars are safer than clincher or tubeless, they don't pinch or unseat and can be run flat(if you don't mind damaging the rim)

MasterBean

by MasterBean

I think the op is confused. Cadex make a tubular rim brake wheel and a tubeless, hookless rim brake wheel. He has combined the two.

You can run whatever pressure you like on a tubular wheel.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

Nickldn

by Nickldn

I have looked at the Cadex 65mm hookless rim brake wheels for my Propel, but decided they are a slightly ill formed idea.

I would need to use them with 25c tyres, which makes the max 73psi pressure insufficient and the risk of a blowout when the wheels heat up from braking on descents would be unacceptably high.

Needless to say I'm am sticking with tubulars for now.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build in progress

clarkywils

by clarkywils

If you want to use the Cadex 65 wheels, you need to make sure that your tubular tyres are compatible with hookless rims and that you do not exceed the recommended pressure.

toxin

by toxin

clarkywils wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:27 pm
If you want to use the Cadex 65 wheels, you need to make sure that your tubular tyres are compatible with hookless rims and that you do not exceed the recommended pressure.
you CANNOT use tubulars on hookless, only tubeless that are made for hookless

Nickldn

by Nickldn

clarkywils wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:27 pm
LOL if you glue your tubular tyres to hookless rims you'll most likely end up needing to buy new rims after 500 meters of riding. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Spend 5 minutes with Google and don't get the two types of tyre mixed up please, they are really really different.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build in progress

MasterBean

by MasterBean

The problem is tubular and tubeless sound similar and to non native English speakers it's where the confusion lies.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

MasterBean wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:02 am
The problem is tubular and tubeless sound similar and to non native English speakers it's where the confusion lies.

Man hookless + rim-brake is an odd combo.

Ceel

by Ceel

Thanks for all your replies.
From what I've seen, a tubular rim is by definition hookless which makes sense since tubulars do not have any bead as the inner tube is stitched to the tire itself.

Will I now be the only one running tubulars and rim brakes? Even if it's a little outdated, I believe it should still work well.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Ceel wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:47 am
From what I've seen, a tubular rim is by definition hookless which makes sense since tubulars do not have any bead as the inner tube is stitched to the tire itself.

Will I now be the only one running tubulars and rim brakes? Even if it's a little outdated, I believe it should still work well.
Tubular is 'hookless' because glue or double sided tape is used to secure the tyre to the wheel. Please tell me you understand this.

bedampft

by bedampft

Post some pictures. Before you harm yourself.

Ceel

by Ceel

Nickldn wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:19 am
Ceel wrote:

Tubular is 'hookless' because glue or double sided tape is used to secure the tyre to the wheel. Please tell me you understand this.
Yep I already mentioned that in the initial post 👍

poulhansen

by poulhansen

Ceel wrote:
1000s of people run tubulars. Many of us buy and ride older bikes and wheels
Cannondale Super Six HiMod 2017 6.7 kg
Cannondale six13, 2004, 5.50kg
Focus Izalco Max, 2023 4.418 kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Upcountry

by Upcountry

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:39 am
Man hookless + rim-brake is an odd combo.
I had to go to their website to see if that was an actual offering...

Maybe I'm getting old; I ran carbon tubeless rim brake wheels(hooked to be clear) for about a year before going disc, and now the thought of that kind of sketches me out. Add in another variable of hookless, and it just seems like a recipe for disaster... When a tire is hard to mount, what do you do? You set it in the sun to warm up and thus making it easier to stretch the bead onto the wheel. What happens when you're braking heavily on a rim brake hoop? It heats up, and more than likely some portion of that heat is dissippated into the tire...