The CAAD Build Thread...

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

triteacher

by triteacher

Awesome job, man!
Did you have any experience spray-painting before or did you just go for it? Wow!!!

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

Nice work, alpinestar. I hadn't considered going over the top of the caliper. A very tidy job on the front, too. I found the mounts would fit under the fork crown with schwalbe One 25mm on Pacenti SL23's with a bit of bashing, but that's a neat alternative you've found.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lilteichmonster

by lilteichmonster

triteacher wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:02 am
Awesome job, man!
Did you have any experience spray-painting before or did you just go for it? Wow!!!
no experience, although this is the 4th bike i've done and i've learned A LOT. it's super easy to use. i think i do have a bit of a knack for it, but its definitely not hard. just gotta take your time.

lilteichmonster

by lilteichmonster

alpinestar wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:15 am
Wow, that’s nice! What’s the build plan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
not necessarily going for the lightest i can (sacrilege?!) as my wife just had a baby and i shouldn't have done this at all haha! i'm pulling the ultegra 6800 crank, 11sp casette/chain, and both ders off my TT bike. then scored used ultegra 6800 brifters and brakes for a steal. my bro hooked me up with his shop discounts for shimano pro vibe bars/stem/seatpost. i'll start with my spare spesh romin saddle. reynolds stratus wheels (def want to upgrade these next summer). thinking of picking up the black w/ purple supacaz bar tape and then maybe zipp alumina cages that'll i'll spray to match the purple

alpinestar

by alpinestar

lilteichmonster wrote:
alpinestar wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:15 am
Wow, that’s nice! What’s the build plan?

not necessarily going for the lightest i can (sacrilege?!) as my wife just had a baby and i shouldn't have done this at all haha! i'm pulling the ultegra 6800 crank, 11sp casette/chain, and both ders off my TT bike. then scored used ultegra 6800 brifters and brakes for a steal. my bro hooked me up with his shop discounts for shimano pro vibe bars/stem/seatpost. i'll start with my spare spesh romin saddle. reynolds stratus wheels (def want to upgrade these next summer). thinking of picking up the black w/ purple supacaz bar tape and then maybe zipp alumina cages that'll i'll spray to match the purple
Sounds like a solid build! I heard a few bad stories about the supacaz bartape quality, but would look awesome! How much work did you put into prepping the frame before paint? I have only little paint experience, but considering a respray of mine since the fork doesn’t match. Just had the first shakedown test the other day, a few adjustments are needed but the rattle from the front part of the fender needs fist attention! Image

lilteichmonster

by lilteichmonster

Prep was honestly not that much. Isopropyl alcohol to clean the whole frame. Taped off the headset, bb, seat tube. What I found to make the biggest difference in quality - in this, my 4th try - was 2 coats of paint and sanding in between, and letting each coat cure for almost 24 hours

lilteichmonster

by lilteichmonster

can someone help a brother out....i can paint a dope ass frame, but i'm not super up to speed on all the techy details of bike parts....

can i get a recommendation for a bb30 to 24mm BB? what do you use? i was just going to get an FSA adapter to keep it cheap, but should i be worried about creaking and loss of stiffness? just bite the bullet and get a new BB? i'm putting ultegra 6800 crank on

ianeire

by ianeire

I pressed in the FSA sleeve into my 10 so that I could run Campag cranks. Used loctite 609 plus activator and it hasn't creaked in 13,000km to date. Very happy with it.

lilteichmonster

by lilteichmonster

ianeire wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:32 pm
I pressed in the FSA sleeve into my 10 so that I could run Campag cranks. Used loctite 609 plus activator and it hasn't creaked in 13,000km to date. Very happy with it.
"fsa sleeve" meaning the adapter?

ianeire

by ianeire

Sure. The FSA alu sleeve so that you can screw in BSA BB cups and run Shimano or Campag cranks.

triteacher

by triteacher

I am using a KCNC adaptor and riding the same Ultegra 6800 cranks in my CaadX. Super easy install and at around Eu 35,- pretty cheap...

lilteichmonster

by lilteichmonster

Thanks for the tips! I ended up just buying a wheels Mfg bb30 to 24mm BB from a local shop. Didn't want to wait for shipping! Dropping off to my buddy to build today

alpinestar

by alpinestar

Any progress on the build?? Looking fwd to it!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lilteichmonster

by lilteichmonster

alpinestar wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:02 pm
Any progress on the build?? Looking fwd to it!!

it's done but im out of town for a few more days. will pick it up later this week and post some pics!