The CAAD Build Thread...

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

calleking

by calleking

Antoine22 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:32 pm
Beautiful :beerchug: where di you get The One cockpit ?
Thanks!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000148 ... 4c4dcFlKen

Tested here (which is also the reason I felt like I could trust the build quality):
viewtopic.php?t=159692
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

nowtaps

by nowtaps

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum, thought I'll post one of my bike here

It's a CAAD12 Disc from 2016/2017, hence the level top tube on a 48cm frame.
Enlight444.jpg
Last edited by nowtaps on Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

speedy97

by speedy97

Hi, i am new to ww, working on some upgrades for my caad 12.
Does anyone know if the c2 seatpost from cannondale that came with the caad 12 ultegra 2016 is suitable for carbon oversized seatpost rails?
--> seatpost: https://www.bike24.de/p1187921.html
this website says it is, but sigmasports website says its not :noidea:

NickyR

by NickyR

Hello,
This is my first post on this forum (by the way, is there any thread where new members can introduce themselves ?)
I had a CAAD12 , bought in July 2016 right after its release, wonderfull bike. So good for a "cheap" frame that I ve spent time and money to upgrade it to reach the 7kg mark.
I sold it last year (mainly because I just wanted to try something else) and quickly missed him. So I decided to look for a frameset or complete bike from second hand and I finally found it as a frameset. Almost not ridden but came with a paint defect.Not a problem for me since this one is going to get a full custom paintjob.
IMG_3326.JPG
The weight of the frame is quite impressive for a size 58 :
IMG_3321.JPG
1181g including BB30 bearing (that weight 47g) but without derailleur hanger (10g) and seatpost collar (12g) so 1144g naked with derailleur hanger
IMG_3316.JPG
IMG_3319.JPG
The weight of the fork is not bad neither (not hi-mod on this model) :
IMG_3314.JPG
367g with full steerer (approx. 275mm)
As I said, this frameset will get a custom paintjob and built. Unfortunately the paintjob should add a few hundred grams because the original paintjob is very thin and light but it should be worth it.

NickyR

by NickyR

speedy97 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 6:20 pm
Does anyone know if the c2 seatpost from cannondale that came with the caad 12 ultegra 2016 is suitable for carbon oversized seatpost rails?
I used this seatpost with a syncros carbon saddle (rails are 7x9mm I think) and it was fine altough the installation of the saddle was not the easiest.
But if you are to buy this seatpost from bike24, you can get the Save version (full carbon, ligther) here for a few more bucks : https://www.cannondale-parts.de/epages/ ... P2750U1040

speedy97

by speedy97

NickyR wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:34 am
speedy97 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 6:20 pm
I used this seatpost with a syncros carbon saddle (rails are 7x9mm I think) and it was fine altough the installation of the saddle was not the easiest.
But if you are to buy this seatpost from bike24, you can get the Save version (full carbon, ligther) here for a few more bucks : https://www.cannondale-parts.de/epages/ ... P2750U1040
Thanks for the answer! I already have the c2 seatpost on my bike, but i was searching for a new saddle an thought about getting the romin evo pro... have ordered the selle italia slr boost with ti rails instead since it's lighter anyways and i don't have to worry about my seatpost.

stalepigeon

by stalepigeon

Picked up this caad5 recently, had a look through old manuals online but couldn't find this colour in there. Anyone know what year it is?Image

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

weptunus

by weptunus

after smashing up a ridley helium I've bought this frame for cheap with 105 in 2016, and transferred the 10s sram red that I had on the ridley.
since then I've:
- ultegra 6800 di2 on it
- a focus izalco max with the same di2 groupset (sold)
- this caad10 with mechanical ultegra/105 mix
- a bmc teammachine with the ultegra/105
--- sold every bike related thing I owned (tried to at least) and moved to Thailand ---
no one wanted to buy the caad10 so a few weeks ago after not touching a bike for almost 2 years I brought it back to life.
despite the other bikes I've owned I've always liked this one the most!
so I got 2nd hand ultegra di2 (with bonus ceramic speed pulley wheels) some bontrager wheels and an old sram force crankset I still had lying around at my parents, now it looks like this (I don't know it's weight, and I don't care, pls don't ban me :mrgreen:)

plans:
- get another crankset, although this one doesn't look out of place, I went riding into some hills yesterday and 52/39 after a 2 year break didn't do me good :D
- I've thought about having it repainted multiple times, but this paintjob has a little "sparkle" on top of the top tube that I really like when the sun is on it :D

questions for caad10 users:
- how do you deal with the rear brake hose breaking where it goes into the frame, I've never managed to keep it intact for long...
- are there replacement parts for the shifter cable stops on the down tube and chainstay?
- if anyone has a supersix fork for me, shoot me a message (I'm in Belgium)

NickyR

by NickyR

NickyR wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:29 am
Hello,
This is my first post on this forum (by the way, is there any thread where new members can introduce themselves ?)
I had a CAAD12 , bought in July 2016 right after its release, wonderfull bike. So good for a "cheap" frame that I ve spent time and money to upgrade it to reach the 7kg mark.
I sold it last year (mainly because I just wanted to try something else) and quickly missed him. So I decided to look for a frameset or complete bike from second hand and I finally found it as a frameset. Almost not ridden but came with a paint defect.Not a problem for me since this one is going to get a full custom paintjob.
IMG_3326.JPG
The weight of the frame is quite impressive for a size 58 :
IMG_3321.JPG
1181g including BB30 bearing (that weight 47g) but without derailleur hanger (10g) and seatpost collar (12g) so 1144g naked with derailleur hanger
As I said, this frameset will get a custom paintjob and built. Unfortunately the paintjob should add a few hundred grams because the original paintjob is very thin and light but it should be worth it.
Here is the frameset with the custom paintjob done. I wanted something not too bling but still original. The colors is called "black interference" by Stardustcolors : basically it is a dark and deep black with green accents when the light is applied directly to the paint. It is hard to illustrate with a picture and my poor camera... but it is stunning IRL ! 8) The lettering is sparkling lime.
The good news, apart from the nice result, is that the extra weight is less than anticipated : +45g for the frame and fork ! So the sub 7 is reachable...
IMG_3469.JPG
IMG_3483.JPG
IMG_3471.JPG
IMG_3477.JPG
I will make more pictures on a sunny day, and I will create its own topic soon when the build is done

NickyR

by NickyR

IMG_3484.JPG
IMG_3480.JPG

NickyR

by NickyR

work in progress (aiming for the sub 7) :
IMG_3492.JPG
IMG_3496.JPG

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

That's super nice!!! Is that custom paint?

NickyR

by NickyR

Yep ! I am lucky enough to have a really good painter living 2 kilometers from my house. I didn't really know what to expect because it was the first time he used this paint but I have to say the result is totally stunning.

sgergole

by sgergole

Soooo. After thinking that my CAAD10 went into retirement, with 40.000km completed... My new bike decided to abandon me 24h before the flight for a 7 day stage race. No other solution than taking my CAAD10 back from retirement and make it race again, one last time.

The good thing: this whole thing was quite light, around 6,6kg even with 60mm wheels.
The bad thing: it was not build for racing. meaning, some components (like the 50-34 chainrings, Carbon Ti or a 10s groupset) work well under normal circumstances, but when you have to make quick things, they don't perform 100% of the time. Had 4x chain drops where I had to go off the bike, + 4-5x where I could fix it with some swearing and by pressing all buttons available.... Or the handlebar chosen, it works well for touring, not so comfortable for racing.

But at the end, it all worked pretty decently! The CAAD will always stay in my heart, and I will never sell this bike!

kompromesso

by kompromesso

Hi all

First post on the forum so I introduce myself. I'm Stefano, I'm a roadie writing from Italy. I currently have a Scott Addict Pro, before Super6 Evo and Synapse.

I've just started a 2nd bike project with the idea to use it on the indoor trainer during winter + to be left at my parents' place for spring/summer rides. I got a 2014's Caad10 and I'm now figuring out components.

SHIMANO Ultegra R8000 mechanical with direct mount brakes
THOMSON Drop Bar Rennrad Road Carbon 31,8 mm 42 cm
THOMSON Stem Elite X4 standard 31,8 mm | +/- 10° black 100 mm
Cannondale C2 Seatpost Ø25,4m

I was wondering if there's enough clearance to put on a wheelset with outer width 28/30mm with a 26" or 28" nominal tubeless tyre

Thanks in advance

IMG_20210909_160627.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com