Let's See Your Time Trial bike

Moderator: Moderator Team

RyanH

by RyanH

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:24 pm
I have Stages DA9000 power meters on each of my bikes.... I'm not sure what you mean by the "big boy" comment. I'm 5'8" 161 pounds... so I'd say pretty much in the middle of sizing, not tall, nor overweight.
Ah, sorry, didn't mean to offend. I'm 5'9 and between 154-158lbs so I figured based off your photos, your CdA would be a little higher than mine but I could be wrong:

Anyway, your Route 29 Merckx style TT power numbers don't seem to match up with your average speed unless you had a helluva tail wind that day. I'd think you're probably putting out a lot more power than what your stages is suggesting.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

RyanH wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:52 pm
Ah, sorry, didn't mean to offend. I'm 5'9 and between 154-158lbs so I figured based off your photos, your CdA would be a little higher than mine but I could be wrong:

Anyway, your Route 29 Merckx style TT power numbers don't seem to match up with your average speed unless you had a helluva tail wind that day. I'd think you're probably putting out a lot more power than what your stages is suggesting.
Which Rt. 29 numbers are you referring to? I've raced that course a number of times. How are you figuring CdA numbers? It sounds like a tool I'd have fun with. I will say this, I always seem to manage to do more with less power in comparison to other guys I've raced against. I work hard to try and get a good, tight position and I've tried to optimize my bike from an efficiency standpoint, as much as I can... Ceramic bearings, waxed chain, low rolling resistance tires, etc.

The pic you've posted, is that a pic of your Merckx setup? I should also note that my state has some pretty advanced rules.. they actually don't calit Merckx TT, but rather Non-TT. They allow skinsuits, TT helmets and your bike can be as aggressive as you want it, as long as it'd be legal for a mass start road race... so no disc wheels, no trispokes, etc... aero bikes are allowed and deep aero wheels. I raced on a Venge with 88mm wheels.
2016 Pactimo Brand Ambassador
http://www.Crankaddicts.cc
2017 Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL5
2015 Specialized S-Works Allez
2014 Specialized S-Works Shiv TT
2015 Specialized Venge Pro (Retired)

by Weenie

RyanH

by RyanH

I use this one for quick checks on power/speed scenarious:

https://www.cyclingpowerlab.com/PowerSp ... arios.aspx

Have you done any Chung method testing? You need a GSC-10 (they're like $30) since GPS isn't accurate enough and Stages may be iffy but I think some on Slowtwich may be getting acceptable results with Stages.

The Rt 29 one was the one on your blog, so I think from June?

Edited to add: No, that picture is one of the few side profiles of me riding. That's my climbing position and was taken about an hour into a 1.5 hour climb.

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

RyanH wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:17 pm
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 12:38 am
A couple of pics form my TT this past Saturday... horrendous weather, pissing down rain. It is a 13.7 km course... essentially a big ractangle with three 90* turns. I averaged 329 watts, 178 bpm, and 45 kph. I took 2nd in the Cat 1/2/3 class, missing the top step by 10.8 seconds.
What power meter are you using? Your watts/speed seems off. A CdA of 0.22 seems really low for a big boy :wink: . I think your Merckx style TT's suggested the same CdA which would be more far fetched. Congrats on the results though, those speeds are legit, especially the Merckx style ones.
If this were a comment about his bike Rich would take it on board, but a reasonable comment on his build and he's in denial... Rich, Ryan is trying to help. Not be a jerk. You are a 'bigger guy'.

And if I have noted anything from racing, comparing speeds around the world is a bit of a fools errand. So much can vary them. Best to compare to what the fastest on the day were doing. And I kinda feel they would be doing more than 4.5w/kg.

Stoo

by Stoo

Current race spec.

'18 Giant Trinity Pro TT - DA9070 - QuarQ DZero - HED Jet 9+/JET+ Disc3
'18 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 - R8000 - QuarQ DZero - SLR1
'16 Genesis Equilibrium - U6800 - FSA SRM - WH6800
'13 Giant Trinity Composite - U6870 - QuarQ DZero

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

MarkTwain wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 10:32 pm
If this were a comment about his bike Rich would take it on board, but a reasonable comment on his build and he's in denial... Rich, Ryan is trying to help. Not be a jerk. You are a 'bigger guy'.

And if I have noted anything from racing, comparing speeds around the world is a bit of a fools errand. So much can vary them. Best to compare to what the fastest on the day were doing. And I kinda feel they would be doing more than 4.5w/kg.
If I am a bigger guy, then so is he because we're basically the same build. I think both of you are basing this idea of me being a "bigger guy" on the photo that shows me pushing 500watts to the finish line in full diaphragm breathing mode. Look at even the skinniest pro riders in this situation and they look the same. Am I a climber, not by any means, but I'm not overweight. I'm actually in the best shape I've ever been in, in my life... at 39 years old, I'm fine with that.

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

You two are not even close to being the same build! I will stress, nothing wrong with being a 'bigger guy' and congrats on being in the shape of your life only

Ryan

You

if you cannot see how much larger your thighs, upper body and gut is then this is a form of denial nothing can remedy. Ryan has no double chin either Rich. I'm sorry, you do.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi-ijZxByyQ ... kaddictscc

so embrace it and move on.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

MarkTwain wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 2:00 am
if you cannot see how much larger your thighs, upper body and gut is then this is a form of denial nothing can remedy. Ryan has no double chin either Rich. I'm sorry, you do.

so embrace it and move on.
No double chin here.. I think what you're seeing in that pic is some loose skin in my neck which is a result of me loosing weight. When I started this whole cycling thing, I was 240 pounds and couldn't ride 3 miles without throwing up. Now I'm 160-164, given the day and time of day that I step on the scale. No denial here, bro... life is work in progress and I'm moving. It's easy to sit on the internet and be anonymous, I'm not.

mentok

by mentok

themidge wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:57 am
Why is Ryan wearing full finger gloves??
I wear full finger gloves on the road as a reformed mountain biker, and I've honestly never thought it was that weird. This photo has made me realise that it looks weird. Thanks :thumbup:
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:23 am
No double chin here.. I think what you're seeing in that pic is some loose skin in my neck which is a result of me loosing weight. When I started this whole cycling thing, I was 240 pounds and couldn't ride 3 miles without throwing up. Now I'm 160-164, given the day and time of day that I step on the scale. No denial here, bro... life is work in progress and I'm moving. It's easy to sit on the internet and be anonymous, I'm not.
I got the impression that Mark's tongue was firmly in his cheek ;) Perhaps we should all calm down and have another donut?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

themidge wrote:Why is Ryan wearing full finger gloves??
Hand model ?

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

RyanH wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 10:01 pm

Have you done any Chung method testing? You need a GSC-10 (they're like $30) since GPS isn't accurate enough and Stages may be iffy but I think some on Slowtwich may be getting acceptable results with Stages.

Lets get back to aero. I have not done any Chung method testing, but I've often thought about giving it a try. I have two skinsuits I'd like to do it with to see if it makes any difference. My understanding is that basically you try to use the same position and same wattage for set distance on a course to test differences in equipment... or I supose you could use same equipment, same wattage, but alter position to see if one position is more aero. Is there anyr reason why you're specifically listing the GSC-10. I don't use that, I use the Garmin magnetless speed sensor on the hub because I get cadence off my Stages. I'm a long time user of Stages power meters and they definitely had some growing pains early on with the battery door issues etc, but my experience with them has been that they are accurate and reliable enough for my purposes. Am I sure that 100 watts on a Stages is the same as 100 watts on a Quarq or 100 watts on an SRM, no.... but my experience seems to say that 100 watts on the Stages is pretty reliable to 100 watts the next day and the day after etc.. and from bike to bike across 3 diffirent units.

If you want to compare my numbers Non-TT to TT this year on the same course... Last year at Oldman's, I did 19:47, 290 watts, 25.9 mph. This year, 18:19, 324 watts, 27.9 mph. Weather was abviously different. Last year, it rained during warm up, but the course was still damp during race. This year it was flat out downpour. I wouldn't say that either was particularly windy. I was using an 88mm front wheel in both races and felt pretty stable. I was extremely caustious in the corners this year, due to standing water.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 3:45 pm
RyanH wrote:

Lets get back to aero. I have not done any Chung method testing, but I've often thought about giving it a try. I have two skinsuits I'd like to do it with to see if it makes any difference. My understanding is that basically you try to use the same position and same wattage for set distance on a course to test differences in equipment... or I supose you could use same equipment, same wattage, but alter position to see if one position is more aero. Is there anyr reason why you're specifically listing the GSC-10. I don't use that, I use the Garmin magnetless speed sensor on the hub because I get cadence off my Stages. I'm a long time user of Stages power meters and they definitely had some growing pains early on with the battery door issues etc, but my experience with them has been that they are accurate and reliable enough for my purposes. Am I sure that 100 watts on a Stages is the same as 100 watts on a Quarq or 100 watts on an SRM, no.... but my experience seems to say that 100 watts on the Stages is pretty reliable to 100 watts the next day and the day after etc.. and from bike to bike across 3 diffirent units.

If you want to compare my numbers Non-TT to TT this year on the same course... Last year at Oldman's, I did 19:47, 290 watts, 25.9 mph. This year, 18:19, 324 watts, 27.9 mph. Weather was abviously different. Last year, it rained during warm up, but the course was still damp during race. This year it was flat out downpour. I wouldn't say that either was particularly windy. I was using an 88mm front wheel in both races and felt pretty stable. I was extremely caustious in the corners this year, due to standing water.
As Ryan found out, "near enough" isnt exact enough when trying to detect changes that are smaller than the percentage error of the test method or equipment.
Case in point is the use of stages as accuracy probably goes out of the window at different intenities.
Search his real world testing via chung analysis thread from a couple of years ago, or theres a good robust instruction file linked to the TT Forum courtesy of Rob Bartlett.
Plenty of info on Slowtwitch too.
Official cafe stop tester

by Weenie

jekyll man

by jekyll man

jekyll man wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 4:13 pm
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 3:45 pm
RyanH wrote:

As Ryan found out, "near enough" isnt exact enough when trying to detect changes that are smaller than the percentage error of the test method or equipment.
Case in point is the use of stages as accuracy probably goes out of the window at different intenities.
Search his real world testing via chung analysis thread from a couple of years ago, or theres a good robust instruction file linked to the TT Forum courtesy of Rob Bartlett.
Plenty of info on Slowtwitch too.
Edit: I'd get a skinsuit that fits to start with.
Official cafe stop tester