Let's See Your Time Trial bike

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

Post Reply
kampiakseli
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:47 pm

by kampiakseli

Building these are little messy, but nice when you can not use TT bike outside (we got snow)

addictR1
Posts: 1878
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:11 am

by addictR1

14sandee wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:13 pm
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:40 am
The paint job on the thing looks pretty crazy, which is great. I have seen too many boring looking bikes. The cockpit looks pretty weird to me, super "upright" with the bars pointing up 45 degrees. Can we see a picture of you in position?
I haven't got one yet, but I will post as soon as I do. I'm going for something like this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=praying ... RXAyOv3reM

Seemed quick when I test rode it this morning, 10m at Croft motor circuit tonight should provide some numbers.

are there any aftermarket TT handlebars that would have the option tilt to get the praying mantis position?

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



14sandee
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:35 pm
Location: North Yorkshire, Land of Steep Bergs

by 14sandee

addictR1 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:07 am
14sandee wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:13 pm
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:40 am
The paint job on the thing looks pretty crazy, which is great. I have seen too many boring looking bikes. The cockpit looks pretty weird to me, super "upright" with the bars pointing up 45 degrees. Can we see a picture of you in position?
I haven't got one yet, but I will post as soon as I do. I'm going for something like this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=praying ... RXAyOv3reM

Seemed quick when I test rode it this morning, 10m at Croft motor circuit tonight should provide some numbers.

are there any aftermarket TT handlebars that would have the option tilt to get the praying mantis position?
There are varying options, and loads of people/companies make angled wedges for different bars to angle the whole setup or just armpads. The tririg bars and the 51 speedshop mono riser have tilt built in if memory serves me correctly. I've got Revolver angled wedges and ErgoMantis arm cups, plus the 50 degrees high-rise USE extensions. What's your current setup?
Summer Emonda SLR Disc/TT Custom Trinity/CX Inflite CF SL/CX Crosslight Pro6/Turbo 2014 TCR/Winter CAADX/Hack Tom Bromwich Singlespeed

14sandee
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:35 pm
Location: North Yorkshire, Land of Steep Bergs

by 14sandee

A102_RSX-4723.jpg
Here's a photo from the last TT of the season because I'm missing riding the weapon; cannae remember the time but it was very windy (hence only running the 50).
Summer Emonda SLR Disc/TT Custom Trinity/CX Inflite CF SL/CX Crosslight Pro6/Turbo 2014 TCR/Winter CAADX/Hack Tom Bromwich Singlespeed

addictR1
Posts: 1878
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:11 am

by addictR1

14sandee wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:27 pm
addictR1 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:07 am
14sandee wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:13 pm
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:40 am
The paint job on the thing looks pretty crazy, which is great. I have seen too many boring looking bikes. The cockpit looks pretty weird to me, super "upright" with the bars pointing up 45 degrees. Can we see a picture of you in position?
I haven't got one yet, but I will post as soon as I do. I'm going for something like this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=praying ... RXAyOv3reM

Seemed quick when I test rode it this morning, 10m at Croft motor circuit tonight should provide some numbers.

are there any aftermarket TT handlebars that would have the option tilt to get the praying mantis position?
There are varying options, and loads of people/companies make angled wedges for different bars to angle the whole setup or just armpads. The tririg bars and the 51 speedshop mono riser have tilt built in if memory serves me correctly. I've got Revolver angled wedges and ErgoMantis arm cups, plus the 50 degrees high-rise USE extensions. What's your current setup?
what about the base handlebar you are running in your setup? love the idea of the ErgoMantis arm cup and the 50 degree high-rise USE extension. so i'm thinking either to get a complete set, or perhaps get something and piece it together. would carbon or alumunium material matter much in TT setup?

currently my BMC TMR02 is in regular road bars and i'm lookig to convert the handlebar to a TT setup. i would like to have setup similiar to this: https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-8PuGRfVDFr0/ ... -toctt.jpg

but i don't think my current TMR02 can accept that type of handlebar+stem.. thus looking for aftermarket solution.

14sandee
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:35 pm
Location: North Yorkshire, Land of Steep Bergs

by 14sandee

[/quote]

what about the base handlebar you are running in your setup? love the idea of the ErgoMantis arm cup and the 50 degree high-rise USE extension. so i'm thinking either to get a complete set, or perhaps get something and piece it together. would carbon or alumunium material matter much in TT setup?

currently my BMC TMR02 is in regular road bars and i'm lookig to convert the handlebar to a TT setup. i would like to have setup similiar to this: https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-8PuGRfVDFr0/ ... -toctt.jpg

but i don't think my current TMR02 can accept that type of handlebar+stem.. thus looking for aftermarket solution.
[/quote]

Mine is the stock Giant one. I'm not sure about the geometry of the TMR; you might be better with a cheap dedicated TT bike to start with, but if it works then I'd start with something that favours adjustability over aero; you can always upgrade later. Carbon basebars can be more aerodynamic as they're easier to shape but if I were in your position I would go for an option with a standard round clamp area for the extensions (e.g. Pro Synop HF) rather than built in clamps (e.g. Pro Missile Evo). Depends on your budget, but the wedges etc can be very expensive whereas something simpler like a Zipp Vuka Alumina kit would allow more adjustability to start with (that's what my first TT rig had, it was excellent - you can probably find it a few pages back - a red Specialized Transition). The Zipp parts were a few years old but had almost infinte adjustment (such as the ability to rotate the clamp around the basebar to angle the pads/extensions up), and risers were cheap. As a result my position was pretty honed before I got the Giant, and while I did change it a bit more it was more to do with the new parts I got with the bike.
Hope some of that helps :D
Summer Emonda SLR Disc/TT Custom Trinity/CX Inflite CF SL/CX Crosslight Pro6/Turbo 2014 TCR/Winter CAADX/Hack Tom Bromwich Singlespeed

addictR1
Posts: 1878
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:11 am

by addictR1

@14sandee: thank you for the help. the TMR02 as i understand it is the same frame and geo as the time machine TT, just they call it time machine road since it has a road bar.

i'll have to look into the different wedge kits or perhaps go with a full setup. i saw Vision TFA has their snakebite system that give the mantis setup, so that might be an all in one solution to what i'm looking for... just pricey. :shock:
https://www.starbike.com/en/vision-metr ... -tt-400mm/

14sandee
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:35 pm
Location: North Yorkshire, Land of Steep Bergs

by 14sandee

addictR1 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:57 pm
@14sandee: thank you for the help. the TMR02 as i understand it is the same frame and geo as the time machine TT, just they call it time machine road since it has a road bar.

i'll have to look into the different wedge kits or perhaps go with a full setup. i saw Vision TFA has their snakebite system that give the mantis setup, so that might be an all in one solution to what i'm looking for... just pricey. :shock:
https://www.starbike.com/en/vision-metr ... -tt-400mm/
No problem. The TFA is gorgeous, similar options would be the TriRig Alpha One, Zipp Vuka Aero or the 51Speedshop Mono-Riser, although I'm not sure about the adjustability relative to the Vision. Good luck, I expect to see pics in here when it's done!
Summer Emonda SLR Disc/TT Custom Trinity/CX Inflite CF SL/CX Crosslight Pro6/Turbo 2014 TCR/Winter CAADX/Hack Tom Bromwich Singlespeed

addictR1
Posts: 1878
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:11 am

by addictR1

14sandee wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:45 pm
addictR1 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:57 pm
@14sandee: thank you for the help. the TMR02 as i understand it is the same frame and geo as the time machine TT, just they call it time machine road since it has a road bar.

i'll have to look into the different wedge kits or perhaps go with a full setup. i saw Vision TFA has their snakebite system that give the mantis setup, so that might be an all in one solution to what i'm looking for... just pricey. :shock:
https://www.starbike.com/en/vision-metr ... -tt-400mm/
No problem. The TFA is gorgeous, similar options would be the TriRig Alpha One, Zipp Vuka Aero or the 51Speedshop Mono-Riser, although I'm not sure about the adjustability relative to the Vision. Good luck, I expect to see pics in here when it's done!
thanks for all the help.. i'm currently getting my ducks in a row first. my TMR02 currently has the old SRAM RED 10sp.. so thinking to go with eTap 11sp. i recall they use to sell the TT aero groupset for eTap, but looks like not anymore. what would i need besides the FD and RD.. i know i'll need brake levers, but for controls, woudl that be a blip and a control box or something?

spdntrxi
Posts: 4485
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:11 pm

by spdntrxi

addictR1 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:53 pm
14sandee wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:45 pm
addictR1 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:57 pm
@14sandee: thank you for the help. the TMR02 as i understand it is the same frame and geo as the time machine TT, just they call it time machine road since it has a road bar.

i'll have to look into the different wedge kits or perhaps go with a full setup. i saw Vision TFA has their snakebite system that give the mantis setup, so that might be an all in one solution to what i'm looking for... just pricey. :shock:
https://www.starbike.com/en/vision-metr ... -tt-400mm/
No problem. The TFA is gorgeous, similar options would be the TriRig Alpha One, Zipp Vuka Aero or the 51Speedshop Mono-Riser, although I'm not sure about the adjustability relative to the Vision. Good luck, I expect to see pics in here when it's done!
thanks for all the help.. i'm currently getting my ducks in a row first. my TMR02 currently has the old SRAM RED 10sp.. so thinking to go with eTap 11sp. i recall they use to sell the TT aero groupset for eTap, but looks like not anymore. what would i need besides the FD and RD.. i know i'll need brake levers, but for controls, woudl that be a blip and a control box or something?
you need the blipbox.. the FD and Blipbox are out of production, so expect to pay way more then retail for those 2 items.
2019 BMC TM01 Road UCI config 7.36kg

addictR1
Posts: 1878
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:11 am

by addictR1

spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:38 am
you need the blipbox.. the FD and Blipbox are out of production, so expect to pay way more then retail for those 2 items.
Yup.. just got an email reply back from SRAM... :(

DSD Australia (SRAM)

Jan 11, 2021, 17:30 CST

Thanks for reaching out on this. A lot of the 11 speed components are phasing out at this time, the BlipBox itself for 11 speed is discontinued as a part which is why it may be hard to locate what you are after. What our TT groupset will need is RD, FD, BlipBox and Blips/Clics to work. There is no Force level eTap groupset in 11 speed I am sorry to say as well. Your best bet for wireless shifting and a TT bike would be going for 12 speed AXS, although as mentioned this could get pricey with your wheels.

Kind Regards,
SRAM Service Team

addictR1
Posts: 1878
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:11 am

by addictR1

ok.. i think i'll just stick with my current 10sp setup but will get a SRAM R2C shifter and slap on a 11sp cassette in the rear. i believe the 10sp RD will index properly with the 11sp R2C.

now for fit wise, since i'm running cable, should i do a dry fit with the bars and extension to my liking before routing the cables? since i'ts all internal, BMC is well know to be a PITA to do routing. lol~

14sandee
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:35 pm
Location: North Yorkshire, Land of Steep Bergs

by 14sandee

addictR1 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:57 am
ok.. i think i'll just stick with my current 10sp setup but will get a SRAM R2C shifter and slap on a 11sp cassette in the rear. i believe the 10sp RD will index properly with the 11sp R2C.

now for fit wise, since i'm running cable, should i do a dry fit with the bars and extension to my liking before routing the cables? since i'ts all internal, BMC is well know to be a PITA to do routing. lol~
I would - that was my approach with the Trinity; if you want to change extensions with internal cables it's a faff if you cable it first. I put mine on a turbo and then took self timer photos of the front and side profiles to get it as refined as possible. I've since bought a Notio and my CdA is about 0.19 so it must have worked...
Summer Emonda SLR Disc/TT Custom Trinity/CX Inflite CF SL/CX Crosslight Pro6/Turbo 2014 TCR/Winter CAADX/Hack Tom Bromwich Singlespeed

addictR1
Posts: 1878
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:11 am

by addictR1

14sandee wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:48 pm
addictR1 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:57 am
ok.. i think i'll just stick with my current 10sp setup but will get a SRAM R2C shifter and slap on a 11sp cassette in the rear. i believe the 10sp RD will index properly with the 11sp R2C.

now for fit wise, since i'm running cable, should i do a dry fit with the bars and extension to my liking before routing the cables? since i'ts all internal, BMC is well know to be a PITA to do routing. lol~
I would - that was my approach with the Trinity; if you want to change extensions with internal cables it's a faff if you cable it first. I put mine on a turbo and then took self timer photos of the front and side profiles to get it as refined as possible. I've since bought a Notio and my CdA is about 0.19 so it must have worked...
wow.. learning something new every day.. had to google what Notio was. :)

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



14sandee
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:35 pm
Location: North Yorkshire, Land of Steep Bergs

by 14sandee

addictR1 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:56 pm
14sandee wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:48 pm
addictR1 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:57 am
ok.. i think i'll just stick with my current 10sp setup but will get a SRAM R2C shifter and slap on a 11sp cassette in the rear. i believe the 10sp RD will index properly with the 11sp R2C.

now for fit wise, since i'm running cable, should i do a dry fit with the bars and extension to my liking before routing the cables? since i'ts all internal, BMC is well know to be a PITA to do routing. lol~
I would - that was my approach with the Trinity; if you want to change extensions with internal cables it's a faff if you cable it first. I put mine on a turbo and then took self timer photos of the front and side profiles to get it as refined as possible. I've since bought a Notio and my CdA is about 0.19 so it must have worked...
wow.. learning something new every day.. had to google what Notio was. :)
The ultimate nerd tool! And even better when it's paid for by a 6th form engineering scholarship bursary...
Summer Emonda SLR Disc/TT Custom Trinity/CX Inflite CF SL/CX Crosslight Pro6/Turbo 2014 TCR/Winter CAADX/Hack Tom Bromwich Singlespeed

Post Reply