Let's See Your Time Trial bike

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

Languid

by Languid

I believe this seems to be an Aussie thing. I haven't been able to interpret the UCI regs as saying it is disallowed, and surely it would make bar tape illegal as well as it does the same thing. I first heard of people being asked to remove it at the Commie games TT last year in Currumbin. Certainly wasn't an issue at our British National TT in June either.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Time to email CA yet again and ask WTF.
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Languid wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:48 am
I believe this seems to be an Aussie thing. I haven't been able to interpret the UCI regs as saying it is disallowed, and surely it would make bar tape illegal as well as it does the same thing. I first heard of people being asked to remove it at the Commie games TT last year in Currumbin. Certainly wasn't an issue at our British National TT in June either.
Interesting. I was not aware of that. Many thanks.

I've emailed Cycling Aus and been passed on direct to the chief commissaire who was on that day. If I get no satisfaction its off to the UCI I go.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Tinea Pedis wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:14 am
What do people know about grip tape now being (apparently) banned by the UCI?
Never heard of that! If that is the case, then it's new... and a major WTF?! It just tape to let you grip the bars better. Why would they want to discourage that?
formerly rruff...

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Believe me, everyone was stunned. Not a single scrap of evidence to substanciate it.

Have emailed and no reply from the chief UCI comm. Would prefer to not take it to UCI Switerland however I would also very much prefer to never be in that situation again.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I posted a comment about the grip tape to the facebook goup of my local TT series. We don't run by the UCI rules, but I knew that some of the USAC officials in the group might see the comment and have some knowledge because they work the national events as well. One of them did some homework and this is what was found, "Recently, the UCI added to the regulations a restriction on grippy tape that is added in places where it does not belong normally. That would be elbow pads, saddles, certain areas of the time trial bars, etc."

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Cheers Rich. Is the regulation is unpublished? Or have Nefarious and I missed it when looking at the rules?

Notwithstanding that it's a completely bullshit rule. UCI, crushing those big rocks.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I don't know if its published... I assume it is, based on how the official wrote it out to me whch I posted above, but I don't know where. Based on the wording above, it seems as if the intent of the rule is to prevent people from using grip tape or maybe even velcro like surfaces on areas of the bike where riders might want help staying in position.. like on saddles or arm pads... but then they throw in that "certain areas of the time trial bars." It sounds as if they don't want people putting tape all over the bars, but that the intent is to allow it in the areas where the hands might normally contact the bars.... the wording also makes it easy for an overzealous official to decide that grip tape doesn't belong anywhere on the bars. It seems like it needs clarification for sure....

reedplayer

by reedplayer

done
Last edited by reedplayer on Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

done II

Rudi

by Rudi

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:40 am
it seems as if the intent of the rule is to prevent people from using grip tape or maybe even velcro like surfaces on areas of the bike where riders might want help staying in position..
Very interesting. There does seem to be a trend towards having very "cupped" arm rests, like the aerocoach align. I could see if someone really wants to hold a specific position that velcro could do a good job. And be a lot kinder to the undercarriage than the Tony Martin solution :-) I assume someone has tried it already.
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Sync Erginomics are also doing deep arm cups

https://www.syncergonomics.com/shop/

But you really would not need them + Velcro/grip tape. They are deep and do a terrific job of locking your position in.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Reply from the UCI
1) Grip tape is not allowed on the extensions, even in the point where the hands contact the extensions?

Grip tape or rubber is allowed, but only where the hands will be positioned. (Handlebar + extension) (nothing have been updated in the rule regarding this point. Where did you find that?)

2) A rubber grip is not permitted on the extensions, where the hands contact the end of the extensions?

See above
Grip tape is fine. Another great example then of Aussie officials on a power trip. And I wish that were me being overly dramatic but it's regrettably the case.

jorryt

by jorryt

Finished the bike. Focus Izalco chrono milram frameset with 3t Vola bars. 1x10 mechanical gearing. The pedals will be switched to speedplay soon. Image

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TimmS

by TimmS

Nice!
What is that chainring?
And can you remove the front derailleur hanger?