Let's See Your Time Trial bike

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

Jugi

by Jugi

jekyll man wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:40 pm
Di2 is easiest and cheapest.
Are there TT specific groupsets or even upgrade kits available on Shimano’s current R8000 and R9100 lineups? A quick search didn’t retrieve any. Buying individual components (or a groupset with a pair of road levers left over) doesn’t sound cost effective.

eTap Aero upgrade kit can be had for less than €1200 and a full group for less than €2300. The current Di2 Dura-Ace groupset seems to be about €2500. Ultegra is of course cheaper, but that’s Ultegra.

I had hard enough time routing my eTap Blip’s cables through my aerobars, and I quess Di2 involves quite a lot of similar procedures when it is put on a TT bike. I wouldn’t call that exactly ”easy”.

Edit: Found the R9150 TT and R8050 TT groups after looking just a bit harder. R9150 TT seems to be in the 2300€ range, so no real price difference to eTap.
Last edited by Jugi on Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shrike

by Shrike

jekyll man wrote:
Shrike wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:35 pm
reedplayer wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:57 pm
Shrike wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:07 pm

EDIT: Nevermind, a few calls later has confirmed in no uncertain terms am I to touch a 58. I need a 54 :lol:
...or even a 51, because the 54 has quite a long toptube! i am 173 and would choose P2 in 48.
Was surprised a bit at that, didn't know your TT machines were so stretched out compared to road bikes. Ordered a 54 anyway, found the nice grey colour I wanted. Just need to bling it out now. Hoping for some black Friday deals on eTap, Quarq and some TT cockpit.

TT cockpit I'm having trouble with a bit. Need a really good looking blacked out one that's super clean, but not £1000+ :lol:
Newer cervelo's are nothing like as long as the older ones; theyre approx 3/4 of a size down in reach for something like the same stack as before.

Cockpit? piece of piss. dont blow all your money on new. Get on the timetrial forum and buy secondhand. Either USE Tula or R1, or 3TTT Ventus. Be prepared to chop and change extensions and arm rests. Avoid Brezza's- the pads and mounts are pants.
Oh and get a tririg front brake ;)
Etap? monstrous mechs with batteries that have a habit of parting company on uk roads. Also hardly aero. Blip box needs to find somewhere to live too.
Never heard of all these brands, but that's class cheers, will look them up and get scouring some TT/tri for sale sections :twisted:

I thought eTap would be the easiest to install, was looking at their aero install guide this evening, but will give Di2 installs on aero bikes a looksie now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

Jugi wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:31 pm
jekyll man wrote:
Are there TT specific groupsets or even upgrade kits available on Shimano’s current R8000 and R9100 lineups? A quick search didn’t retrieve any. Buying individual components (or a groupset with a pair of road levers left over) sounds like a costly solution.

eTap Aero upgrade kit can be had for less than €1200 and a full group for less than €2300. The current Di2 Dura-Ace groupset seems to be about €2500. Ultegra is of course cheaper, but that’s Ultegra.

I had hard enough time routing my eTap Blip’s cables through my aerobars, and I quess Di2 involves quite a lot of similar procedures when it is put on a TT bike. I wouldn’t call that exactly ”easy”.
I have an offer from a retailer to sell me eTap aero for £900 atm. Need to take a look around, maybe Di2 has dropped enough by now. I think I can get eTap aero around £800 soon though, maybe Black Friday..

EDIT: Okay never mind, even Ultegra Di2 TT upgrade kit is over £1200 still. Dura Ace is out of the question.. back to eTap..

jekyll man

by jekyll man

I paid ~ £350 for a usable 6870 system, admittedly buying most secondhand but it is out there if you shop carefully. TTF followed by slowtwitch and ebay are your friends.
You dont need bling on a tt bike- pick the points that count most ie aero and second tier is fine for gears etc.
Think most i paid was £70 odd quid for a brand new BTR-2 internal battery.
FWIW i've just picked up a pair of mint 9070 mechs for £200

You don't "need" stuff like the brake shifter units.
1 battery
1 front mech
1 rear mech
sw671 tt shifters
1 junction A box (3 or 5 port) 3 if you only plan having the end shifters
1 junction B box
1 charger
4 cables to suit.
Official cafe stop tester

reedplayer

by reedplayer

jekyll man wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:20 pm

You dont need bling on a tt bike- pick the points that count most ie aero and second tier is fine for gears etc.
+1. i would further recommend use of a pm.

thats my bmc-oldie with race wheelset. okay, the planet x frontwheel`s primary quality is to make it look quite cool. 8) but the reynolds disc really helps.

Last edited by reedplayer on Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Shrike

by Shrike

Would love a disc.. but will save that for a spring reward if I can get some decent power numbers going in TT position :P

Been on the hunt on eBay and ST classifieds today.. best deals are in the US on this type of kit unfortunately so bars still not sorted. Also finding I'm quite fussy on the looks. I like these styles:

Or even better when the base bar is angled or curved downwards. Problem is most bars are covered in graphics. I just want something blacked out.

Someone on ST said carbon bars are faster in a comment I read yesterday. How would that work? Sounds dubious..

@ reed player Sorted the powermeter, always prioritise that now, the rest I can live without :x

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I'm a fan of the Vola LTD, narrow and easy to use. AHP wedges, Profile ski bends flipped and the deep profile cups for security. Forearms are pretty flat in that picture mid corner so I didnt need to sit up and transfer weight forward.

Second the comments on Ultegra di2 being the cleanest option per $ spent. The base bar shifters completely change riding one of these things in traffic for training compared to the extension only setups. ImageImageImage
Using Tapatalk

Shrike

by Shrike

@Nef yes that's what I'm after, that shape, looks class. Nice setup you got there :)

Spotted the Pro Missile Evo on eBay, full carbon, extensions and all. Only 570grams.

Is it alright?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-Missile- ... :rk:1:pf:1

Looks pretty posh real world
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhcPOSkHHG9 ... hare_sheet

And test quick

Miller

by Miller

Nefarious86 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:55 pm
The base bar shifters completely change riding one of these things in traffic for training compared to the extension only setups.
Absolutely agree with this. I started with an extension only EPS setup, which was nice, but as you say, getting the basebar shifters transformed the TT bike for general riding. That would include training rides and even that old school thing of riding to an event.

Shrike

by Shrike

Been reading quite a bit about TT setups over at Slowtwitch the past week and have also decided to go with the additional base bar shifters, think it's something I'd appreciate especially being new to TT handling. Making it easy though, ordered in eTap.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Shrike wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:35 pm
@Nef yes that's what I'm after, that shape, looks class. Nice setup you got there :)

Spotted the Pro Missile Evo on eBay, full carbon, extensions and all. Only 570grams.

I have the previous years version which is more black and white colorway..but same. I'm parting out my Rim brake BMC TM01 and will be selling it. I have the S bend and ski type bars.. narrow brigde kit.. just need to gather all the bits..pretty sure I have most of it.

I will miss them.. it's lighter then my new toy which has integrated bars.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Shrike

by Shrike

spdntrxi wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:49 am
Shrike wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:35 pm

I have the previous years version which is more black and white colorway..but same. I'm parting out my Rim brake BMC TM01 and will be selling it. I have the S bend and ski type bars.. narrow brigde kit.. just need to gather all the bits..pretty sure I have most of it.

I will miss them.. it's lighter then my new toy which has integrated bars.

No matter how nice the bars are, integrated makes them look like a throwback :P

Enjoy!

Not sure if I'll need to get the ski bend myself. Need to get some proper trainer hours in to work that stuff out, but I did see people say that the straighter bars are a bit better for power than the skis as you get more leverage on them..

I see quite a lot of pro TT'ers have moved to skis though.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Base bar stem is proprietary .. I’m sure I could fit something else but it will be uglier ( Parlee ttir)

Ski for me is more comfortable .. with hands high
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

Not sure where to ask so here I am.

What's the feeling of time-trialing on a 80mm front? I have never used anything higher than 50 up front and is tempting to try a 80...
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10