Let's See Your Time Trial bike

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

RyanH

by RyanH

Loops usually work the best, so something around a small lake or something would be ideal as there's usually trees too that block wind. Well, a really small lake as the ideal circumference is around 2-3km. Longer is fine but it just means you're doing 40 minutes or so to get the requisite number of laps. Oh ya, I forgot that part, you want to do about 5 laps so Rt 29 probably wouldn't be ideal.

The analysis part is actually pretty quick and easy. With Golden Cheetah, it takes about 10 minutes or so. I usually made that my workout, so for example, mine were all done at tempo pace. I also contribute a lot of my improvment in fitness due to the 3 months of aero testing at Z3. So, it's doable as part of training. I think I even got acceptable results doing over/unders one day.

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:23 am
MarkTwain wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 2:00 am
if you cannot see how much larger your thighs, upper body and gut is then this is a form of denial nothing can remedy. Ryan has no double chin either Rich. I'm sorry, you do.

so embrace it and move on.
No double chin here.. I think what you're seeing in that pic is some loose skin in my neck which is a result of me loosing weight. When I started this whole cycling thing, I was 240 pounds and couldn't ride 3 miles without throwing up. Now I'm 160-164, given the day and time of day that I step on the scale. No denial here, bro... life is work in progress and I'm moving. It's easy to sit on the internet and be anonymous, I'm not.
My anonymity has nothing to do with the advice here - given you were the one who started off by claiming issue with Ryan's statement. I see a chin and a gut. So something about this picture does not make sense. Regardless, you are still a bigger guy. And I stress there is nothing wrong with that. Keep improving your power year on year (as you have, albeit with a poor PM) and simply crush those courses. A fitting skinsuit would help too, as Jekyll Man pointed out.

JM, stop being obtuse. Yours does not compare to Rich's. But be obtuse if you want.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

MarkTwain wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:04 pm
My anonymity has nothing to do with the advice here - given you were the one who started off by claiming issue with Ryan's statement. I see a chin and a gut. So something about this picture does not make sense. Regardless, you are still a bigger guy. And I stress there is nothing wrong with that. Keep improving your power year on year (as you have, albeit with a poor PM) and simply crush those courses. A fitting skinsuit would help too, as Jekyll Man pointed out.

JM, stop being obtuse. Yours does not compare to Rich's. But be obtuse if you want.
Dude.. no need to defend your anonymity. You want to be anonymous, that's fine. It is probably because if people could see the real you, they would know you've never pinned a number on and you get dropped on your local coed C ride. The cool part about not being anonymous is that I know who I am and what I do, I don't have to hide behind some pretend name and a made up profile. But that's cool man, be anonymous and I'll stress there is nothing wrong with it. I know that muscle and fitness isn't knocking on my door, those years are long since gone and I know I'm not gonna be world tour skinny, no denial from me, but I've got no gut and no double chin. I'm not ever gonna win my local series' hill climb TT, that's fine with me too.

The point that JM is trying to make is that in the TT position, when you've been on the limit for 20 minutes and then you're emptying the tank to get every last ounce of energy out, you're gonna be breathing hard, breathing so hard your diaphragm is gonna be full. It is clear that he's raced and he knows this. It's clear you have not.

Here's Kwiato... another one of the bigger guys with a gut, right Twain?

Jos Van Emden too...

Oh man... Tony Martin too, say it isn't so.

Pozzovivo.. no wonder he's been having trouble on the climbs.

Ben King... what's in those Dimension data musette bags?

As fun as this conversation has been though... let's get back to aero and bikes and cool stuff.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

lolol you don't look anywhere close to those guys....

JScycle

by JScycle

I agree with Rich in that he looks the same/similar to those pros. I don't think this is the forum to be having a go and someones body shape or size. He is posting photos of his bike and position for the benefit of this forum/post and you should be complimenting him not pointing out what you believe are flaws.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

dudemanppl wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 1:14 am
You're missing my point.... I'm not saying I do. Those dudes judged by anyone in the world would be called skinny and yet, in those pictures they've got a gut, so what chance does a normal person stand? no much.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Ryan, is an outdoor velo suitable for this testing?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

RyanH

by RyanH

I know indoor can be troublesome in some sense because there's often a circular current from other riders or even an individual after several laps. I'm guessing outdoor may be less prone to this but that's just a guess.

Regarding full finger gloves, I was riding 300+ miles per week at the time and with Campy, I was getting a lot of calluses. I despise wearing cutoff gloves so non padded MTB gloves were always the best compromise. Usually once I start getting over 15 hours a week I begin having a problem with that but that seems to not be the case with Shimano. With that being said, in the summer you'll often catch me with full finger gloves since the combination of sunblock and sweat make everything a bit slippery so I find gloves an improvement.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 12:55 am
Dude.. no need to defend your anonymity. You want to be anonymous, that's fine. It is probably because if people could see the real you, they would know you've never pinned a number on and you get dropped on your local coed C ride. The cool part about not being anonymous is that I know who I am and what I do, I don't have to hide behind some pretend name and a made up profile. But that's cool man, be anonymous and I'll stress there is nothing wrong with it. I know that muscle and fitness isn't knocking on my door, those years are long since gone and I know I'm not gonna be world tour skinny, no denial from me, but I've got no gut and no double chin. I'm not ever gonna win my local series' hill climb TT, that's fine with me too.

The point that JM is trying to make is that in the TT position, when you've been on the limit for 20 minutes and then you're emptying the tank to get every last ounce of energy out, you're gonna be breathing hard, breathing so hard your diaphragm is gonna be full. It is clear that he's raced and he knows this. It's clear you have not.

Here's Kwiato... another one of the bigger guys with a gut, right Twain?

As fun as this conversation has been though... let's get back to aero and bikes and cool stuff.
That's pretty nuts that a Mercx category allows such deep wheels and aero equipment! Here we're only allowed aero road helmets and <30mm wheels. No clip ons and no skinsuits. Also open cat.

mentok

by mentok

RyanH wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 2:18 am
Regarding full finger gloves, I was riding 300+ miles per week at the time and with Campy, I was getting a lot of calluses. I despise wearing cutoff gloves so non padded MTB gloves were always the best compromise. Usually once I start getting over 15 hours a week I begin having a problem with that but that seems to not be the case with Shimano. With that being said, in the summer you'll often catch me with full finger gloves since the combination of sunblock and sweat make everything a bit slippery so I find gloves an improvement.
Similarly, I do 450km a week and I never think twice about full fingers. It was just strange that someone pointed them out as odd and I suddenly realised how I'd totally normalised them :noidea:

themidge

by themidge

Re: full finger gloves,
I'm surprised you guys can wear full finger gloves in summer, even here in Scotland my hands get very warm in full gloves in the slightest heat :noidea:. I've found I get calluses on the inside of my thumbs from shimano 5700 levers (there's a plastic ridge in just the wrong place)
but I don't think any of you people (Ryan) will have that problem :D.

Rich: seeing as there are so many photos of you TTing, perhaps you could post one where you're breathing in? :wink:

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

dudemanppl wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 1:14 am
Don't try telling him that. He'll just try and reframe it to be about you and your anonymity. Complete and utter denial.

As for outdoor velodrome testing, did Robert Chung himself on here not say that an outdoor velodrome is fine? Or maybe it was on ST. Either way I am sure I have read him say that's not an issue.

dominikk

by dominikk

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:24 pm
... I'm 5'8" 161 pounds... so I'd say pretty much in the middle of sizing, not tall, nor overweight.
Are you sure?
5'8" @ 161 pounds ... hmm ... unusual proportion ...
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhAsftxg15_ ... kaddictscc

But anyway, good results. :thumbup:
Riding Paniagua - The Future of cycling!

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Imaking20 wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 4:19 am
That's pretty nuts that a Mercx category allows such deep wheels and aero equipment! Here we're only allowed aero road helmets and <30mm wheels. No clip ons and no skinsuits. Also open cat.
Agreed.. I know its not the norm, but keep in mind they don't actually call it Merckx, they call it Non-TT. Merckx implies that you're using equipment that Eddy Merckx would have used. The rules committee for our local series views the Non-TT class as the entry point into Time Trial racing, because it allows people to come out and give it a try on their road bike. I guess at some point (before I was involved in the series) there were stricter rules, but they were finding them to be more of a hinderance to getting people involved because people were coming out to give it a try and many of them already had wheels upgrades to something like a 303 or 404 etc. In addition to the wheels, they were finding it difficult to draw a line in terms of frames as aero road frames became more popular. They weiged the options of setting the rules strict, no aero road frames, no aero wheels, etc and realized that would just prevent people from trying out the sport. The rule says the wheel must be spoked. No clip ons, No disc wheel, no tri-spoke. The first season I raced, the Non-TT class was open cat. At some events thought we'd have 40+ riders in the field and the speed range between te fastest and slowest was HUGE. The rules committee broke it into 2 classes Non-TT A 1/2/3 and Non-TT B 4/5. Again the thinking was that splitting the class would interset more people to come try the sport because beginners wouldn't be in the same field as guys that were Cat 1/2/3. I'm not involved with the rules committe at all, but I've heard there's been some talk that for next year, they may leave the Non-TT A with the looser aero rules, but set up the Non-TT B class with some stricter rules, i.e. wheels <50mm, no TT helmets, etc.

Grill

by Grill

What on earth is wrong with y'all's? I can't believe this has been essentially turned into a fat-shaming thread.

In regards to acheiving a low CdA in a road bike position, I know for a fact <.200m^2 is possible.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com