Anyone still have a steel bike?

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

robertbb

by robertbb

RichTheRoadie wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:44 am
New-to-me Columbus MAX Hampsten:

Dude where does one find such things in Aus?

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

robertbb wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:30 am
Dude where does one find such things in Aus?
On US forums!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mjs

by mjs

Love my swiss cross. I also have / had carbon road bikes, but I live in northern Germany, no hills, not a lot of switch backs, I am happy w the Swiss Cross for both road and off road. Maybe I'll add a road logic or Standert Triebwerk at some point.

8,9 kg

cjm

by cjm

GorrGrimWolf wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:03 pm
I have REPETE R2: Reason. Columbus HSS tubing, made in Prague, Czech Republic. Stunning ride :) Size 58.
That looks great, do you have any more details on it?

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

cjm wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:25 pm
GorrGrimWolf wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:03 pm
I have REPETE R2: Reason. Columbus HSS tubing, made in Prague, Czech Republic. Stunning ride :) Size 58.
That looks great, do you have any more details on it?
Hi! More info here ;)

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=169521&p=1741878#p1741878

jaibautista

by jaibautista

MattN wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:19 pm

It is PR08, a catalogue colour from 2008/09.
Thank you very much for the information! (and sorry for the rather late reply!)

I am surprised that Colnago decided to "resurrect" (for lack of a better term) the PR08 design for the Master 30th anniversary frames, as most of what I've seen so far are Art Decor designs.

I also have a "new" steel project, after stumbling upon this Serotta Fierte (Saratoga tubes) in our local FB marketplace for ~US$270 (with the Easton EC90 SL fork and Ritchey Superlogic one-bolt seatpost):

Does anyone have additional information about this particular Serotta frame? I couldn't find much info about it, except for it being a low-cost, mass-produced model for a US bike shop (City Cycle). Thanks in advance!

Edit: Finally built it up!!!

Among my four steel frames, this is easily the best riding (no offense to my Colnago Master 30th Anniversary Edition), perhaps due to the carbon fork + the more relaxed geometry (apparently, this is a size 54 frame; I had to make some adjustments with regard to the stem length + seat fore/aft so that I'll be able to replicate some of the measurements in my other bikes).

2phat2slow

by 2phat2slow

My steel rig 🤩

Recently updated to 1x and 11sp, plus added some fancy wheels to suit the modern retro aesthetic.
Attachments
Yamaguchi.jpeg

jlok

by jlok

2phat2slow wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:37 am
My steel rig 🤩

Recently updated to 1x and 11sp, plus added some fancy wheels to suit the modern retro aesthetic.
Very nice.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

jmagoulas

by jmagoulas

SV SL

SV CX

spokenwords

by spokenwords

Frame Pump!!!
"Notice how the door closes when the chimes of freedom ring." Joe Strummer
"this goes to 11" Nigel Tufnel
Dont move to Austin
Major Taylor rules.

DHG01

by DHG01

jmagoulas wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:20 pm

SV SL

SV CX
Really like CX with cantis. Nice

Roel W

by Roel W

I'm considering a modern steel bike. Not a top notch bike but quite decent.
If you had the choice between a ready made Ritchey Road Logic or custom made Columbus Zona, what would you choose?

I had a Road Logic test bike a few years ago and was really impressed by the responsive feeling, soft ride and quite light weight (for a steel bike) but the cable and brake hose on the new disc version is a mess (and I definitely want disc brakes).

Is the Zona tubeset (25CroMo4 alloy) a good choice or is it worth paying more for a Spirit (Omnicron alloy) or Life (Oversized Omnicron alloy) tubeset?

How important is the choice of the tubeset compared to the correct use of the tubes (optimal use butting in the build of the frame)?
And how important is the steel alloy. Is it just a way to create thin-walled butted tubes?

Or should I go all-in and go for a Cinelli Nemo? The Nemo has a Spirit HSS (High Strength Shaped) tubeset. Cinelli and Columbus have the same parent companny so the frameset will use the optimal performance of the tubeset.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

RichTheRoadie wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:44 am
New-to-me Columbus MAX Hampsten:

Now wearing a colour-matched steel stem too, along with a few other changes:

lvhdds

by lvhdds

2phat2slow wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:37 am
My steel rig 🤩

Nice 🤩

soupless

by soupless

jaibautista wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:36 pm

Does anyone have additional information about this particular Serotta frame? I couldn't find much info about it, except for it being a low-cost, mass-produced model for a US bike shop (City Cycle). Thanks in advance!
The low priced Serotta made for City Cycle is a different model if I remember correctly. The Fierte is a full fledged Serotta from the late 2000s. They were production bikes yes, but still very high quality. They were available in Steel, Ti, and maybe that Steel with a Carbon rear triangle that was so popular back then.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com