Anyone still have a steel bike?

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

Kristinka

by Kristinka

MiloAS wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:15 am
Kristinka wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:34 pm
Let me introduce my trusworthy workhorse Ritchey Road Logic disc.
Looks lovely, what size is this?
The size is 49

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roel W

by Roel W

gurk700 wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:40 pm
Some amazing bikes here!
I need some guidance. I love me some carbon but I've always been curious about steel frames as well. So far I really love Standert bikes. A mix of steel with modern features.
Could you guide me to similar style bikes I can take a look at? Here's some requirements I have:

- Pure road / race geometry (no need for big gravel tire clearances) Relatively shorter headtube etc.
- Horizontal top tube (Not negative slope, not positive slope. Horizontal)
- Internal wiring / di2 ready
- Disc brakes
- Readily available (i.e. no need to go custom geo)

Please let me know! I've never heard of standert before I took a look into this topic. Probably my ignorance but I wanna know about those brands you don't see everyday.
Speedvagen?
Stelbel Rodano?

5DII

by 5DII

deleted
Last edited by 5DII on Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

5DII

by 5DII

My custom Mariposa road bike, just built up.

flying

by flying

5DII wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:28 am
My custom Mariposa road bike, just built up.
:thumbup: Nice :beerchug:

NickyR

by NickyR

Here is my steel road bike : a Ritchey Road Logic 2016 frameset bought from second hand and built with my own components. I ll create its own topic later. The weight as pictured is 7,53kg for a 57 frame size.
IMG_3246.JPG
In a nutshell : this bike rocks. Efficient and smooth are the first 2 words that come to my mind to describe it.
I started road cycling 5 years ago (being a mountainbiker since mid 90's) and I had a CAAD12 as a first road bike, a very good choice.
I then bought a titanium frame but it did not convince me (too... stiff ! Yeah... i know :shock: ) . As I have always been curious about steel frame ("steel is real" they say) , i decided to search for a good one but not going the custom fit way. And here it is, my lovely Ritchey.

flying

by flying

NickyR wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:07 pm
Here is my steel road bike : a Ritchey Road Logic 2016 frameset bought from second hand and built with my own components.
I like it & always wonder why more folks including myself didn't buy one of these frames.
Prices always good & tube size closer to what I think creates the steel feel.

I always wonder if the oversized Spirit Tubes even feel like steel anymore (have not tried one) :noidea:

Look forward to its own thread 7.5kg for a 57 is good :beerchug:

DHG01

by DHG01

flying wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 5:30 pm
I like it & always wonder why more folks including myself didn't buy one of these frames.

I always wonder if the oversized Spirit Tubes even feel like steel anymore (have not tried one) :noidea:

That's a beautiful bike; I actually think it is the best looking of the Logics; even more so than the blue that followed.

Also a great buy; if memory serves me right, it costed €780 at Probikeshop a few years back- a great frame, fork and headset.

I guess a lot factors play in, but an oversized Spirit might feel less springy. Probably max chainstays also have a lot to do.

Surprisingly, I recall the Swiss Cross (RIP) to be a lot more springy that the Logic.

NickyR

by NickyR

flying wrote:
NickyR wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:07 pm
Here is my steel road bike : a Ritchey Road Logic 2016 frameset bought from second hand and built with my own components.

It is here : viewtopic.php?p=1674840#p1674840
I agree with you : I don't think modern steel bike with oversized tubing would offer the same "steel feel" (which doesn't mean that they are not efficient !) Actually if I had to make a custom steel road bike, I would go with Deda Zero tubing.

NickyR

by NickyR

DHG01 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:07 pm
flying wrote:

That's a beautiful bike; I actually think it is the best looking of the Logics; even more so than the blue that followed.

Also a great buy; if memory serves me right, it costed €780 at Probikeshop a few years back- a great frame, fork and headset.

I guess a lot factors play in, but an oversized Spirit might feel less springy. Probably max chainstays also have a lot to do.

Surprisingly, I recall the Swiss Cross (RIP) to be a lot more springy that the Logic.
Thank you.
I don't remember the price of this frameset as new back in the days, but the current iteration costs roughly 1100€ and I paid 550€ for this frameset in great condition (including the parlee carbon front derailleur hanger). Totaly agree with you : this is the best looking paintjob of the Road Logic serie, so when I saw it , great condition, good price, I pulled the trigger in a second, no hesitation !

gummibear

by gummibear

Dov

by Dov

Cielo Classic Sportif. Made by Chris King in Portland, OR.

I use this one for long distance audaxing and genera winter riding. It has a front and rear dynamo light fully integrated into the stainless steel mudguards. It's a bit of a fatty this one at 10.8kg but built to last including the stainless stell freehub upgrade on the Hope Pro rear wheel (36h). I've alrady done about 35,000km on this and plan to go to 100,000km

Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

Dov

by Dov

Concorde (do not know the model) with a mix a mostly Dura Ace 7800 groupset but some nicer looking 7410 cranks.

Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

schlafen

by schlafen

Mendiz, columbus MSImage

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

toshi

by toshi

Random question — anyone who finds themselves spending more time on your steel frameset, versus a carbon one — feel you're missing anything? I'm on a Ritchey Road Logic and thinking of building up a 2007 Cannondale System Six.

I realize that's a completely different type of bike, and I think I might be idealizing the benefits that bike might bring (stiffness, questionable comfort). Thoughts?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com