Anyone still have a steel bike?

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

toshi wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 10:34 pm
Random question — anyone who finds themselves spending more time on your steel frameset, versus a carbon one — feel you're missing anything? I'm on a Ritchey Road Logic and thinking of building up a 2007 Cannondale System Six.

I realize that's a completely different type of bike, and I think I might be idealizing the benefits that bike might bring (stiffness, questionable comfort). Thoughts?
I'm currently thinking about going the other way, and this is my thought process:
1. If speed is no.1, carbon is faster, everything else being equal; there isn't really an argument there;
2. However, carbon probably isn't much faster; the weight makes less difference than you think, and most of the aero side is down to the rider, clothes, and wheels; tubes don't make a big difference;
3. If you're not racing at a high level, do 1 & 2 even matter?

So what I'm thinking is a bike that is fast and responsive enough for me to enjoy riding, without feeling like I'm dragging an anchor, but which has the aesthetics I want, greater longevity and durability, and is (probably) made to my geo and accommodating of my physical limitations.

I don't know if that helps or not!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TimmS

by TimmS

A 06/07 system six is always good!

3phase

by 3phase

toshi wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 10:34 pm
Random question — anyone who finds themselves spending more time on your steel frameset, versus a carbon one — feel you're missing anything? I'm on a Ritchey Road Logic and thinking of building up a 2007 Cannondale System Six.

I realize that's a completely different type of bike, and I think I might be idealizing the benefits that bike might bring (stiffness, questionable comfort). Thoughts?
Well, I have 2 Canyon bikes (Aeroad and Ultimate) and I feel I'm missing something so I'm saving up for a Ritchey :D Initially I wanted a Road Logic Disc, but leaning towards a Swiss Cross Disc as I find the tire clearance perfect, and copuld also swap to road wheels anytime. Heck I might just sell the Ultimate eventually

2000m2

by 2000m2

I ride two steel frames: Pegoretti and Rock Lobster. My other bike is a carbon Basso. They all feel a little different and I really enjoy going back and forth between them.

mmendoza87

by mmendoza87

My Kendo Phantom, 4130 double butted cro-moly from a shop in Taipei. The geometry was based on the Eddy Merckx Liege 75 and was made at the same factory as the Liege. Recently upgraded the wheels. Very fun to whip around town.

Not a weenie bike. Usually, this bike sits on my trainer. But it's fun to take it out every now and then (and makes me appreciate my other bikes). Currently sits at 8.5kg with the Sugino square taper cranks. A crank upgrade would bring it down to 8.3.

schlafen

by schlafen

mmendoza87 wrote:My Kendo Phantom, 4130 double butted cro-moly from a shop in Taipei. The geometry was based on the Eddy Merckx Liege 75 and was made at the same factory as the Liege. Recently upgraded the wheels. Very fun to whip around town.

Not a weenie bike. Usually, this bike sits on my trainer. But it's fun to take it out every now and then (and makes me appreciate my other bikes). Currently sits at 8.5kg with the Sugino square taper cranks. A crank upgrade would bring it down to 8.3.

That looks clean Image

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

InoxEPS

by InoxEPS

Yes, I have few steel bikes and this is my latest build. That’s why we talk about “Soul” when we look at Columbus steel tubes. Having a good sexy steel bike, it is the closest thing to flying without leaving the planet. I picked up the most human part of what Columbus was responsible for. My Stelbel Cento N°18 / 19 is a limited edition frame that celebrates the great relationship with most important partner, Columbus Tubi. Of course Campagnolo-Equipped. Italian women know how to have love affairs with Campagnolo. Steel allows a craftsman to be creative and to create something beautiful. Steel somehow feels more alive than other materials and makes for a wonderful ‘unexplain zingy’ superb ride quality.
Attachments
20210725_003705.jpg
20210718_192757.jpg

Dov

by Dov

Repainted my Cielo and added a Brooklyn to my steel bike collection.

Cielo

Brooklyn
Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

TimmS

by TimmS

Just delivered this baby.
Columbus MAX, except for the head tube and seatstays.
Still needs some finetuning, a weight and a first ride!
IMG_20210820_144842.jpg
IMG_20210820_151751.jpg
IMG_20210820_151241.jpg
IMG_20210820_145449.jpg
Last edited by TimmS on Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DHG01

by DHG01

TimmS wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:28 pm
Still needs some finetuning, a Wright snd a first ride!
IMG_20210820_144842.jpgIMG_20210820_151751.jpgIMG_20210820_151241.jpgIMG_20210820_145449.jpg
Very nice frame, slick paint, classy build.
I ll need to look into Max - I thought it was only available for chainstays!

wolfesquire

by wolfesquire

InoxEPS wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:04 pm
Yes, I have few steel bikes and this is my latest build. That’s why we talk about “Soul” when we look at Columbus steel tubes. Having a good sexy steel bike, it is the closest thing to flying without leaving the planet. I picked up the most human part of what Columbus was responsible for. My Stelbel Cento N°18 / 19 is a limited edition frame that celebrates the great relationship with most important partner, Columbus Tubi. Of course Campagnolo-Equipped. Italian women know how to have love affairs with Campagnolo. Steel allows a craftsman to be creative and to create something beautiful. Steel somehow feels more alive than other materials and makes for a wonderful ‘unexplain zingy’ superb ride quality.
Beautiful background as well. Do you have any bikes to match your Rolls Royce in the background?

Marin

by Marin

TimmS wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:28 pm
Still needs some finetuning, a Wright snd a first ride!
Oh wow that's special! Lovely!

What cassette ist this?

InoxEPS

by InoxEPS

wolfesquire wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:23 pm
InoxEPS wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:04 pm
Beautiful background as well. Do you have any bikes to match your Rolls Royce in the background?
ha ha ha....maybe next project! 😆

TimmS

by TimmS

[/quote]

Oh wow that's special! Lovely!

What cassette ist this?
[/quote]

Thank you!
Cassette is a Force 10-26, 44t front.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eurostar

by eurostar

I have an 853 randonneur frame which I built on Dave Yates' course. Also got a Parlee Zero which I prefer because it's so much lighter. The 853 is weighed down by S&S couplers and a 1.2 kg crankset, a Rotor RSX4 triple. It's got huge tyre clearances, so it has expedition bike potential. Maybe one day.

I don't buy the special, unique feel of steel which people go on about. It's romantic baloney. I've learned enough about framebuilding to know that ride quality has very little to do with steel vs carbon. Geometry, tyre width and suspension gadgets (e.g. zertz, isospeed) are many times more significant. You can build a stiff or a bendy frame with steel, aluminium, ti or carbon. People form prejudices about certain materials being inferior because of bikes which have suffered from cost-cutting, for example a steel frame with a high quality main triangle but cut price stays and forks. But weight doesn't lie. A carbon frame, assuming the wheels and components are comparable, inevitably has much livelier acceleration because the steel one has a weight penalty of 1 kg or something. Ever noticed how the modern steel bikes with the best reviews always seem to have the shallowest rims?