Anyone still have a steel bike?

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

ross

by ross

Love the way you circled the problem, might have missed it otherwise :)

Does the frame have sentimental value? Y/N
Is it a rare / vintage frame (the type that is worth good money)? Y/N
If you fixed it, would you actually ride it more than a handful of times? Y/N

:) I'd probably be more inclined to hang it on the wall

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ross

by ross

SteveyT wrote:Reposting from the Colnago thread as it's a steel bike :) Managed to find the frame NOS in Spain, had never been built up. I'm unsure on the exact model but my best guess is that it is a C96 due to the Thron tubing and curved forks.. It rides quite lovely, I'm amazed at the difference over Carbon/Aluminium (this is my first steel bike).

Very pretty, good NOS find and nice modern build. Needs matching seatpost to stem though and are the wheel graphics removable or under clearcoat?

SteveyT

by SteveyT

Agreed on the stem and seat post however the seat post was a bit of an emergency buy after getting the incorrect size initially so this was the best option available in 27.0mm size. Graphics on the wheels are stickers but I like 'em...

ianeire

by ianeire

In the family from new, what was once a much loved and much used 1980/81 Carlton Super Course had long since fallen into disrepair. Some much needed TLC was needed and she was eventually ready for her first spin in a long, long time. A sympathetic renovation with keeping as much of the original bike as was practical to do so, while adding a few modern touches and making it my own with a new colour.

themidge

by themidge

Now that's a transformation and half! :thumbup:
Although I really like the retro/modern builds, I'm glad this one stayed more or less authentic.

Delorre

by Delorre

ianeire wrote:In the family from new, what was once a much loved and much used 1980/81 Carlton Super Course had long since fallen into disrepair. Some much needed TLC was needed and she was eventually ready for her first spin in a long, long time. A sympathetic renovation with keeping as much of the original bike as was practical to do so, while adding a few modern touches and making it my own with a new colour.

Wow, turned out very nicely :thumbup: Have you tried to polish the stem? Eveything is shiny and almost looking new, only the stem is dull. With some metal polish, it only take a few minutes to get some nice shine, matching the seatpost and fork.

ianeire

by ianeire

Thanks, we think the last time it was on the road was some time around '86/87. I thought it was much later than that. It makes me feel much less guilty about the 2 years that I procrastinated getting it sorted. A few of the metal parts are quite dull and it's something that I might try to rectify in the future. I did make an attempt at polishing the stem using various methods - autosol, creme de tartar etc but it didn't have any effect. I need to spend some time on the rear spokes also to see if I can bring some shine back to them. The rear wheel is completely original, I needed to replace the front hub as the bearing race was cracked so the original rim was laced to a period hub but the flange height was different so 36 shiney new spokes were used.

In terms of the fork, it's the only piece I'm not overly happy with. The original was Reynolds 531 but was bent, and trying to source a suitable replacement with 205mm of steerer proved very difficult so in the end I bought a cheap eBay 27"/700c chromed piece so that I could at least get it back on the road. Unfortunately as the fork was dual size compatible there's now an issue with the original Weinmann 605 front brake where the caliper drop is slightly too short to have the pads cleanly clear the tyre and brake on the rim. There's a small overlap so I need to watch for a groove being worn in and fouling on the sidewall. I've been in contact with Mercian Cycles in the UK and hope to ship the original fork to them for repair, if it's recoverable, which I think it is. At that stage I'll likely have it powder coated to match the rest of the frame as the original would have been. It annoyed me to have to put a cheap steel fork on there, but I have to admit, I really like it aesthetically!

WinterRider

by WinterRider

ianeire wrote: The original was Reynolds 531 but was bent

I read one fork builder stated almost all forks are bent straight after initial assembly... how bent was yours? Possibly a repair option for you. (thinking just the blade canted in/out)

Nice bike.
Last edited by WinterRider on Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

Delorre

by Delorre

ianeire wrote:A few of the metal parts are quite dull and it's something that I might try to rectify in the future. I did make an attempt at polishing the stem using various methods - autosol, creme de tartar etc but it didn't have any effect. I need to spend some time on the rear spokes also to see if I can bring some shine back to them.

Unless the stem is clear coated, autosol or any other metal polish should do the trick, also for the spokes. Otherwise, go 1 step further and use some 1600 grit sandpaper, first dry, than wet, and after that, give it a go with autosol. That stem (and spokes) should almost be mirror shiny after that :wink:

ianeire

by ianeire

Super, thanks, I'll definitely revisit both of them again 8)

kytyree

by kytyree

Here's my new steel lady, credit for the first few photos belongs to Field, I stole them from their intsagram. The poor photos belong to me, shown with my old daily drivers on here but I should get some nice tubies on there later this week, nemesis for now and if the tubular experiment works out I'll put something deeper on in the spring.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

https://madison.craigslist.org/bik/d/le ... 36739.html

No dog in this sale .. came across it. I sold my Poprad ... the paint thing and the name on it .. didn't work. That said.. this TREK built product is one outstanding bike .. equivalent of something costing thousands.

IF.. anyone comes across a 59 in need of TLC.. please let me know. Mine was great shape and could not justify expense of new paint etc. Would love to have another..... non disc w original al fork.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

Littlemad

by Littlemad

+http://imageupper.com/g/?galID=S110001001B1504958074564898&n=1
8.95kg. Will take it down to 8.6 Weightweenie is fun.It can be made lighter but i want to keep it usable(saddle is like 210gr but great shape,tires could be 160gr but than flats... etc)

SuperDomestique

by SuperDomestique

Stelbel Rodano I recently built...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

Awesome bike as well! I would prefer a Bora dark wheelset.