Anyone still have a steel bike?

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

mises

by mises

I've decided to get a steel frame made for vacation and other non-goal oriented use so I am curious what people's steel bikes are like. What components are on it, what you would change, like or dislike?

I am thinking of going with downtube shifters and a steel fork in one version of it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

james9793

by james9793

I have two steel frames; a '96 Serotta (23.5 lbs) & a '90 Diamondback (21 lbs). I love both frames, and adding carbon seatposts are excellent for improving the ride. But honestly, I'm jones'n for a Cervelo Soloist Carbon.

James

popawheelie

by popawheelie

I have one that I ride alot. It's a KHS. They are a northwest US company that has them made in tiawan I think. I got it marked down because the frame was scratched. I had the guy that put it together put a Campy Datona 10 speed groupo on it. It's bout 4 years old now. I just put the Campy zonda wheelset on it. They replaced a training wheelset that had alot of spokes. I still use the old wheels for alot of rides. I have 25mm tires on them for comfort. And they make me work harder.
Just got back from a group ride and i didn't get dropped!
Most of the bikes were twice the cost of mine and half as old.
I was going on vacation and didn't want to take my "good" bike on the plane so I bought this one. They dented the top tube but I really didn't care. If they did that to my "good" bike I would have been really upset.
Attachments
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (5).jpg
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (3).jpg
Last edited by popawheelie on Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

Mine is sitting shattered in my garage pending my accident settlement. It was my main bike. I did consider getting another steel one as a replacement.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

WHY???
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Mines in the lightweight road bikes listing. Pegoretti Marcelo/Dura Ace 9.
Only 7.5kg!
Last edited by ultimobici on Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

butted spoke

by butted spoke

Mine's a Fillet brazed Reynolds 853 built by Argos cycles. The frame weighs 1.69kg and the ride is superb. Complete bike currenly 8.07kg but I'm aiming to get this below 7.5kg without losing comfort and durability.
I also have a lugged 725 Audax bike by Argos, heavier, but extremely comfy for long rides.

Rippin

by Rippin

Definitely not lightweight, but what a beauty...

For more pictures and info go here: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.ph ... ge=1&pp=25

pk0r

by pk0r

mises wrote:I've decided to get a steel frame made for vacation and other non-goal oriented use

I'd really love to have a decent classic-looking titan frame for that purpose, if there simply wasn't the price tag. :roll:
But a Merlin Extralite or Litespeed (non-Ghisallo) would be too sweet for "cruising".
| works for an European bike manufacturer |
| "I respect the work in coloring parts but the result is stupid-monkey in silk clothes is still monkey." |

spoke n words

by spoke n words

I have a Landshark with Campy Centaur and a Parlee with Campy Record. I love both bikes and feel they are both great values in the bike industry.

Check out Landsharks website if you want to see how inexpensive a good custom bike can be.

saletel

by saletel

@Rippin,

That is a beautiful bike.... wow!

i have a steel mtn Frame hanging up and currently my fixed gear frame is a prewar-schwinn Superior.

Tippster

by Tippster

Is this site weight weenies or did I misread...

weight nostalgics?
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

mises

by mises

Tippster wrote:Is this site weight weenies or did I misread...

weight nostalgics?

You're kind of right in that it is a psychological issue. After I finished my recent Crumpton SL build I realized there was no freaking way I was going to trust that 7 x as much $ as my car beauty to airlines, hotel employees and the like. Plus when I ride a bike like that I am completely unable to take it easy, ride along and enjoy myself in a relaxing way; it always becomes the enjoyment of pain and testing my limits instead.

If I got a frame that could be into a competitively light bike I wouldn't be able to keep myself from getting on the treadmill of ever lighter parts and pretty soon I would have another very expensive bike that I would be afraid to take anywhere other than when under my butt. So it's going to be steel.

It would also give me a good place to store the 1265g clincher wheels I built up for vacation use but am now unwilling to insult my good bike by using. :wink:

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Well at least I would go with bar end shifters instead of downtube shifters. They are around the same price and more convenient in my opinion.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

Rippin wrote:Image

Man, how long have you had those Deltas, and they sure are in good shape!! I sold mine back in college!

ya know, it wouldn't be this forum if someone didn't try and piss all over another one's parade. ;)