Anyone still have a steel bike?

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Rides like a dream 8) 7,5 Kg.

Last edited by PinaRene on Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

themidge

by themidge

SuperDomestique wrote:Stelbel Rodano I recently built...

Awesome colour and nice build too :thumbup: I really have a soft spot for these Stelbels.
But... and this is not aimed at this bike in particular, what's the deal with matching the seatpost and stem to the frame? It crops up on like every custom bike ever and I think it looks kind of silly. IMO it draws the eyes away from the frame and also makes it look weird because you're not expecting to see the stem/seatpost the same colour as the frame. Also there is always a bit of black headset in between the frame and stem (and the seatclamp between the frame and seat post sometimes) which kills any illusion there might have been that they were all one piece. Again, I'm not talking just about this bike (I love the rest of it :D )

/rant :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SuperDomestique

by SuperDomestique

It's up to the person designing the custom bike really isn't it? Some like it, some don't.

Within our shop staff I really like the painted components, others not so much. For me it looks super clean and it allows me to mix component brands without visual fuss, which as a fitter I like.

For the most part I think the customers like it, we are definitely painting more components on Stelbels than not. I think Stelbel do this particularly well and it suits the super minimal design of their paint.

From memory the guy whose bike this is came to see me for the fitting having specced standard Fizik components but changed his mind when he saw my personal Rodano with it all painted.

I guess you see it more on custom bikes as it's easy to paint at the same time as the frame.

Thanks for the compliments on the build, the photos really didn't do this one justice, light was a bit dull.

We're doing another Campari Red Rodano very soon, with some extra paint details so hopefully get some shots which really show how much this red pops.

SuperDomestique

by SuperDomestique

My own Rodano...

themidge

by themidge

What wheels are those? Dt swiss ceramics?

SuperDomestique

by SuperDomestique

Yes, very nice wheels.

Clean39T

by Clean39T

SuperDomestique wrote:It's up to the person designing the custom bike really isn't it? Some like it, some don't.

Within our shop staff I really like the painted components, others not so much. For me it looks super clean and it allows me to mix component brands without visual fuss, which as a fitter I like.

For the most part I think the customers like it, we are definitely painting more components on Stelbels than not. I think Stelbel do this particularly well and it suits the super minimal design of their paint.

From memory the guy whose bike this is came to see me for the fitting having specced standard Fizik components but changed his mind when he saw my personal Rodano with it all painted.

I guess you see it more on custom bikes as it's easy to paint at the same time as the frame.

Thanks for the compliments on the build, the photos really didn't do this one justice, light was a bit dull.

We're doing another Campari Red Rodano very soon, with some extra paint details so hopefully get some shots which really show how much this red pops.

It's a shame they didn't go with a -17/-20 stem and have that custom painted...looks so much better with a level TT.

Love the builds though. Where's your shop? I've emailed Stiebel and received some good info. I think their disc gravel bike will be my winter project..

SuperDomestique

by SuperDomestique

Thanks, I'm in Shoreditch, London.

Of course you can do that, the compromise being exposed seatpost or spacers/headtube extension.

Both these bikes are a bit off level, my green one is 1.5 degrees and I think the red one was 1.7.

I'd like to do a 0 tt / -17 stem one for sure but it takes a fairly hefty drop to really make it work.

I've got disc bikes coming through, a few Ninas and a winter stainless bike for myself. Should have photos from next month. Also working with Stinner now, first one coming this week maybe.

stanley

by stanley

On progress my condor super acciao in bronze colour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clean39T

by Clean39T

stanley wrote:Image
On progress my condor super acciao in bronze color

That color is really cool - what are you building it with?

stanley

by stanley

Clean39T wrote:
stanley wrote:Image
On progress my condor super acciao in bronze color

That color is really cool - what are you building it with?

Dura ace 9100
Fizik cyrano 00 handle bar
Enve stems
Bora ultra 35 wheelset
Selle san marco regale carbon fx
May be next month start to instal it

kgt

by kgt

Dura-ace and Bora, hmmm... why not Fulcrum wheelset?

stanley

by stanley

kgt wrote:Dura-ace and Bora, hmmm... why not Fulcrum wheelset?

Already have it
[emoji16]

stanley

by stanley

kgt wrote:Dura-ace and Bora, hmmm... why not Fulcrum wheelset?

Already have it [emoji16]

holgerscheller

by holgerscheller

I'm still a proud owner of a classic Colnago Master Olympic, built back in 1995 with Campagnolo Record groupset and Campagnolo wheels. This sommer I've converted into a single speed bike:
Image95' Colnago Master Olympic by Holger Scheller, on Flickr

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com