Anyone still have a steel bike?

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

robertbb

by robertbb

2phat2slow wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:37 am
My steel rig 🤩

Recently updated to 1x and 11sp, plus added some fancy wheels to suit the modern retro aesthetic.
Wow. This got my loins rumbling.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DHG01

by DHG01

Roel W wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:27 pm
I'm considering a modern steel bike. Not a top notch bike but quite decent.
If you had the choice between a ready made Ritchey Road Logic or custom made Columbus Zona, what would you choose?

I had a Road Logic test bike a few years ago and was really impressed by the responsive feeling, soft ride and quite light weight (for a steel bike) but the cable and brake hose on the new disc version is a mess (and I definitely want disc brakes).

Is the Zona tubeset (25CroMo4 alloy) a good choice or is it worth paying more for a Spirit (Omnicron alloy) or Life (Oversized Omnicron alloy) tubeset?

How important is the choice of the tubeset compared to the correct use of the tubes (optimal use butting in the build of the frame)?
And how important is the steel alloy. Is it just a way to create thin-walled butted tubes?

Or should I go all-in and go for a Cinelli Nemo? The Nemo has a Spirit HSS (High Strength Shaped) tubeset. Cinelli and Columbus have the same parent companny so the frameset will use the optimal performance of the tubeset.

The Logic is an excellent frame; light, sufficiently stiff, springy steel feel and good looking. I also like the how the seat stays clamp the seat post,the integrated headset, great fork, etc.

I haven't tried the Nemo; have seen it - gorgeous and I am sure a great bike. Buy heavy. The chunkier tubes are likely to make less compliant.

If you are going custom, the cost of the tubes is relatively minor. Some builders will recommend different models for each tube (eg Life for down tube, Spirit top tube). I personally like the thin tubes.

Have a read into Kaisei tubing. I recently has a bike built with Kaisei light tube set and really like it.

DHG01

by DHG01

I don't I have I have posted this one here, though there is a thread below.

Custom built with Kaisei tubing. Frame weight, with all accessories is just a bit over 1.5 kg in size 54.

Really nice ride.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=167364
Attachments
7DD2010D-91C0-4A02-BBC0-DF54B204862B.jpeg

PinaRene

by PinaRene

First lustrum now and 7000Km further : still riding / cruising on my steel Holdsworth Competition. It is a very comfortable bike, but I can get a few Watts sprinting on that thing. Tubeless setup on Fulcrum Wind 40C with 25mm Schwalbe Pro One. Also switched to a Deda Superlegero RS stem. Weight is the same as a modern aero bike ( approx. 7.7 kg in this setup, ride ready ).

Singular

by Singular

PinaRene wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:14 am
First lustrum now and 7000Km further : still riding / cruising on my steel Holdsworth Competition. It is a very comfortable bike, but I can get a few Watts sprinting on that thing. Tubeless setup on Fulcrum Wind 40C with 25mm Schwalbe Pro One. Also switched to a Deda Superlegero RS stem. Weight is the same as a modern aero bike ( approx. 7.7 kg in this setup, ride ready ).

Still kicking myself for not picking one up when they were insanely cheap for a while (£389...?)!

PinaRene

by PinaRene

I bought the frameset for € 700,- incl. Tax I believe. For that price it was a bargain 5 yrs ago. Welding looks nice and paint is also fine. Complete bike with the SRM, Campagnolo Record groupset and these wheels was around 3K €

Elpolo

by Elpolo

That holdsworth is the best bike I eve owned

PinaRene

by PinaRene

@epolo : Do you still have the Holdworth, and if not do you know/ remember the tire clearance on the Colombus fork. Now I am struggeling with 25mm Tubeless tires and the clearance is not 10/10 , could be a bit better. I want to ride some 28mm Veloflex TLR tires but that won't fit under the front brake @the Holdsworth ( Also a Columbus ) fork.
Last edited by PinaRene on Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

EdWiser

by EdWiser

My precious

Shmitt

by Shmitt

Here is my toy, intended entirely of steel - both the frame and the fork. This Karamba rides on custom wheels built by the Polish wheelbuilder Black Cat. The bike is not finished yet, as I would like to paint the stem as well as the seat post. Intended for a mechanical group with rim brakes.

Roel W

by Roel W

Very sweet bike!
I discovered Karamba a few weeks ago via Instagram (via Attout cycling apparel account) and have been in contact with them about a custom steel bike.
They seem to deliver very good value for money and very nice finished bikes.

Shmitt

by Shmitt

sometimes contact is delayed if you only use e-mail, but you can absolutely arrange everything, Bartek will advise you on everything if you have any doubts. Right from the start, I assumed my bike was fully steel, direct mount and mechanical groupset. Weight unimportant, important driving pleasure. And by the way, I like the silence the most .. only the noise of the tires, the noise of the wind, and no rattling of the rear hub.. Really like Onyx. Now I ride on Turbo Cottons from Specialized.

elfuinha

by elfuinha

Current Build.
Attachments
20220813_180726.jpg
20220813_180711.jpg

Shmitt

by Shmitt

As I can still see Keywin pedals. I'm going to buy pedals, since you've probably been using this brand for a few years, I have a question - what is worth ordering in addition to spare parts, apart from the pedals with cleats?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

elfuinha

by elfuinha

Shmitt wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:12 am
As I can still see Keywin pedals. I'm going to buy pedals, since you've probably been using this brand for a few years, I have a question - what is worth ordering in addition to spare parts, apart from the pedals with cleats?
Hello

Keywin pedals last a lot... and the cleats to.

I really like them...I have the ti and Crmo version.

If you don’t care about weight buy the Carbon crmo version... if you care buy the Ti version.

Spare parts:

Cleats;

Stainless Steel M5 nylon nuts... change every time you clean and service the pedals... you can find them in any hardware store... since the float are in the pedal... service them after every wash... it's a 10 min job;

Hooks... but these will last a very long time... before you need to change them...