The Canyon love thread

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

jimmerjohn123

by jimmerjohn123

Does the Ultimate CF SL have the same aero downtube as the CF SLX? Asking because I can't quite afford an SLX lol.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertbb

by robertbb

jimmerjohn123 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:06 pm
Does the Ultimate CF SL have the same aero downtube as the CF SLX? Asking because I can't quite afford an SLX lol.
No. The SL's down tube is way wider and very, very un-aero.

kkibbler

by kkibbler

SL rim is a 5? year old mold at this point. SL disc comes out of the same mold as the newer (also 2? year old) SLX mold and has the same DT.

jimmerjohn123

by jimmerjohn123

kkibbler wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:03 am
SL rim is a 5? year old mold at this point. SL disc comes out of the same mold as the newer (also 2? year old) SLX mold and has the same DT.
Thanks for clarify. It would make sense if Canyon were to retire the SL rim soon.

robertbb

by robertbb

They'll probably change carbon type and make the current "SLX" mold the new "SL" mold, when they bring out a new "SLX".

I'm really curious as to whether they'll bring out a new SLX (rim) this year... we'll know at the TdF I guess.

jonnyc

by jonnyc

New Stuff!

New Ritchey Superlogic carbon bar, Supacaz tape, Chinese carbon clinchers, bit of gumwall action and I wet sanded and re-lacquered the cranks.

cmassak

by cmassak

Hi guys,

I'm in need of your help: I'm just about to buy a Ultimate CF SL Disc 8.0 Aero in Stage Race Blue or a Ultimate CF SL Disc 9.0 Aero in stealth (both are slightly used). The black one is 300€ cheaper and also has a Stages powermeter already installed (I really want to get in to power-based training). I'm a bit tight on money because I'm saving money for university, but I do actually prefer the blue one a bit more because my old road bike is already stealth-black. So, I'm having a really hard time to decide which bike to go for.

I'd love to hear your opinions! Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

Here are the two beauties:
Image Image

slake21

by slake21

cmassak wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:33 pm
So, I'm having a really hard time to decide which bike to go for.
I have a silver ultimate which as everyone knows the nicest looking of them all, so if you can't have that it doesn't really matter 8)

seriously though, the black one is obviously better value, but it's always going to be much cheaper to get a power meter (more so a used one), than a different color frame set.
..so I guess what I'm saying is just flip a coin! :mrgreen:

cmassak

by cmassak

I have a silver ultimate which as everyone knows the nicest looking of them all, so if you can't have that it doesn't really matter 8)
Well said....and good point 8) !

Plot twist: The seller of the blue Ultimate sold it even though I told him that I'd take it :cry: :noidea: ! Now I have to decide to either buy the black one or wait until somebody else sells a Ultimate in Stage Race Blue again! These decisions are killing me!

Delorre

by Delorre

cmassak wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:25 am
Well said....and good point 8) !

Plot twist: The seller of the blue Ultimate sold it even though I told him that I'd take it :cry: :noidea: ! Now I have to decide to either buy the black one or wait until somebody else sells a Ultimate in Stage Race Blue again! These decisions are killing me!
If I may ask, what's the selling price those bikes? I sold my one year old Endurace cf slx with DA di2 for 3250€ a few month's ago...

cmassak

by cmassak

If I may ask, what's the selling price those bikes? I sold my one year old Endurace cf slx with DA di2 for 3250€ a few month's ago...
The black one (with the powermeter included) is 2600€ (asking price) and the blue one was 2700€ (final price).

slake21

by slake21

cmassak wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:25 am
Now I have to decide to either buy the black one or wait until somebody else sells a Ultimate in Stage Race Blue again! These decisions are killing me!
cmassak wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:10 pm
The black one (with the powermeter included) is 2600€ (asking price) and the blue one was 2700€ (final price).
tell you what, I think you should wait for Canyon's annual TdF sale (starts in 3 weeks or so). the blue Ultimate CF SL Disc 8.0 is currently €2800 +shipping. on sale it's going to be reduced by at least €1-200 (3-400 if you're lucky)
I know it doesn't have aero wheels but you can sell the stock DT wheels then invest in some aero ones.

Or you can just wait until you have enough cash to buy new wheels, but you will still have a brand new bike, with the new R8000 Ultegra groupset.

calpartz

by calpartz

Hi,

I'm interested to buy the Ultimate or the Aeroad. Is there someone that tried personally both bikes and that can tell me if the Aeroad is such a non-confortable bike compared to the Ultimate? How clims the Aeroad? Which differences between the bikes did you noticed too? Is the Aeroad "twitchy" or "shimmy"? Did you regrets the change to the Aeroad from the Ultimate? Thank you for your time ;)

calpartz

by calpartz

… I tested today the Aeroad but I had a huge problem with crosswinds: the bike was very unstable. Is this a problem of the frame, of the wheels or of both? Can this frame be such sensible for crosswinds?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

slake21

by slake21

calpartz wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:48 pm
… I tested today the Aeroad but I had a huge problem with crosswinds: the bike was very unstable. Is this a problem of the frame, of the wheels or of both? Can this frame be such sensible for crosswinds?
probably the wheels, although it wouldn't hurt to know how deep they are.

I have shallow 30mm wheels and even those sometimes are hard to control in strong winds.