Pictures of Colnagos

Moderator: Moderator Team

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

guyc wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:22 am
Man that is LOVELY. That colour is, to my eyes, the nicest of all the C64's (part of me wishes I'd stumped for it but I was way over budget anyway). Same size as mine and 500g or so lighter. Some of that will be the groupset and saddle and I guess the rest the wheels as you're running tubs.
Thanks mate. Your build is so nice I wouldn’t have any remorse at all. I was surprised how light it is too. Not exactly light by WW standards but it’s 400g lighter than my s-works tarmac which is cool

by Weenie

guyc

by guyc

It's just really bloody lovely.

Calnago

by Calnago

TurboTommy wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:36 am
...I’ve got a set of mandibles to go on possibly, but I’m not super happy with the way they sit in ‘the trough’.
That weight is everything in the photos plus a k-edge out front mount. I’m surprised by it to be honest.
Nice! Re the mandibles... yes, you will need about 3mm of spacers underneath those to let the clear both the sides of the "swimming pool" and for one of the ends (depedning on which set of holes you use in the cages) to clear either the top or bottom edge of the trough. Try using a couple of the nuts that they thread on clincher valve stems as spacers. Those should work perfectly.
The weight is very good, for a Colnago. Are you surprised becasuse you think it's lighter than expected, or heavier than you expected?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

Calnago wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:10 pm
TurboTommy wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:36 am
...I’ve got a set of mandibles to go on possibly, but I’m not super happy with the way they sit in ‘the trough’.
That weight is everything in the photos plus a k-edge out front mount. I’m surprised by it to be honest.
Nice! Re the mandibles... yes, you will need about 3mm of spacers underneath those to let the clear both the sides of the "swimming pool" and for one of the ends (depedning on which set of holes you use in the cages) to clear either the top or bottom edge of the trough. Try using a couple of the nuts that they thread on clincher valve stems as spacers. Those should work perfectly.
The weight is very good, for a Colnago. Are you surprised becasuse you think it's lighter than expected, or heavier than you expected?
It’s the combination of the two that has made me think a little more on it to be honest. Like you say the bottle cage will sit, overlapping one side of the trough which looks a bit off. Also the design of the backside of the mandibles seems to make it a particularly awkward fit, where I think it may be excessively elevated out of the trough, in comparison to some other designs perhaps. But I’ll perservere with them and definitely try using the the nuts as washers so thanks for the tip!

I’m pleasantly surprised by the weight. I assumed given what I’d read about Colnagos that 7kg or there abouts was what I should expect. And I was fine with that. I assumed because my tarmac comes in at around 7kg with similar components, that the c64 would at least be that heavy. I never really tried to add up the component weights to be honest. I wanted the bike to be as light as possible if I could, but not to the detriment of comfort so that’s how I tried to make my choices.
I have to say, thanks again for your excellent build threads Cal. You’ve really made me appreciate the bike even more through reading them. Also I’ve followed your lead in using Dura ace pedals and my god what a difference to the look keo blades I’ve been using the last few years! It’s funny how you just accept things sometimes...
Last edited by TurboTommy on Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Calnago

by Calnago

You know, the mandibles are a bit awkward for that trough, because aside from having to be spaced out a bit, they aren’t really centered lengthwise, as you’ve found out. If you use the top mount holes, it overlaps the top ridge, and vice versa if you use the bottom mount holes. However, if you really like the Arundels (I do), the Dave O’s have only one set of mount holes and would at least be centered in the trough. You’d will need a bit of a spacer to bring it up a bit, but they shouldn’t be a problem. Those are my preferred cages and that’s what I’d be using here. Oh, and the fine pieces of jewelry that Ernesto is disguising as waterbottle cage bolts... the heads sit quite high and don’t really work too well with some cage/bottle combos. The Arundels fall into that category. I just use the button head bolts that come with the cages as they sit lower and don’t interfere with the bottles sliding in and out. And use the original bolt heads to fashion some unique earrings for that special woman in your life.
As for the weight, the C64 saves a couple hundred grams over the C60. Then on top of that you’re using SRAM, which is on the lighter side of groupsets. So, your weight of around 6.7kg is pretty fair I’d say, especially for mansize frames like ours. Good job.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

Calnago wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:33 pm
You know, the mandibles are a bit awkward for that trough, because aside from having to be spaced out a bit, they aren’t really centered lengthwise, as you’ve found out. If you use the top mount holes, it overlaps the top ridge, and vice versa if you use the bottom mount holes. However, if you really like the Arundels (I do), the Dave O’s have only one set of mount holes and would at least be centered in the trough. You’d will need a bit of a spacer to bring it up a bit, but they shouldn’t be a problem. Those are my preferred cages and that’s what I’d be using here. Oh, and the fine pieces of jewelry that Ernesto is disguising as waterbottle cage bolts... the heads sit quite high and don’t really work too well with some cage/bottle combos. The Arundels fall into that category. I just use the button head bolts that come with the cages as they sit lower and don’t interfere with the bottles sliding in and out. And use the original bolt heads to fashion some unique earrings for that special woman in your life. Image
As for the weight, the C64 saves a couple hundred grams over the C60. Then on top of that you’re using SRAM, which is on the lighter side of groupsets. So, your weight of around 6.7kg is pretty fair I’d say, especially for mansize frames like ours. Good job.
Thanks for the tip. I’m tempted to try to drill new fixing hole/s in the mandible. They’re my preferred choice too. They’re fairly light of course. But they grip the bottle very nicely and I like the look of them so worth me persevering a little longer. Dave-o’s are real nice to my eye too, and I wouldn’t see it as a compromise, they might even look nicer! But it’s a bit of a pain sourcing anything arundel in the uk these days as they don’t have a uk distributer. So hopefully I get it to fit with a bit of delicate drill work...

shipley

by shipley

MattN wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:14 pm
My CLX3.0 cleaned and prepped for its first outing tomorrow.
Nice - love that paint job..... :thumbup:

stang1

by stang1

Glad to be back on the Colnago Bandwagon.

guyc

by guyc

Well hellooooooo

chunky666

by chunky666

moonoi wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:40 pm
chunky666 wrote: @moonoi Just out of interest where are you in the world? I'm not sure if delivery times vary depending on country?
I'm in Thailand, I've been told that it most likely will be here by end of April, so fingers crossed!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Any sign of your frame yet?

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

stang1 wrote:Glad to be back on the Colnago Bandwagon.
What stem is that? Rub off that decal for a nude look?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

guyc

by guyc

FSA?

r4nd0mv4r14bl3

by r4nd0mv4r14bl3

stang1 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:49 am
Glad to be back on the Colnago Bandwagon.
Very nice. Can you explain a bit your choice of components. Are these BOR rings for Shimano? How well does this crankset/rings work with etap?

stang1

by stang1

Kayrehn wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:21 pm

as Guyc pointed out, its a FSA , I am sourcing for a blacked out FSA stem haha

@ R4nd0mv4r14bl3 , it is B.o.R chainrings for shimano, shifts beautiful and has alot of pin catchers. It just works with the Etap and Shimano chain, so no issues for me. Its pretty much a budget build with parts I had lying around :lol:

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

stang1 wrote:
Kayrehn wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:21 pm

as Guyc pointed out, its a FSA , I am sourcing for a blacked out FSA stem haha

@ R4nd0mv4r14bl3 , it is B.o.R chainrings for shimano, shifts beautiful and has alot of pin catchers. It just works with the Etap and Shimano chain, so no issues for me. Its pretty much a budget build with parts I had lying around Image
You need this 🤣Image

by Weenie