Pictures of Colnagos

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

chazmtb

by chazmtb

Haven’t posted my latest colnago acquisition here. Took a long time to find this baby. Original colnago master mapei. 54 cm. 2016 Chorus with Sr chainset. C17 Zonda wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

That’s nice @chazmtb. I should probably know this and briefly looked into it a long time ago (and clearly forgot anything I may have found out) but is there any way to convert the threadless headset into something that you could use a quill stem with. I know the threadless steerer is so much better technically, but quill stems on these kinds of frames are just so pretty.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

themidge

by themidge

You need a different headset, but quill stems and threadless systems can both be used in 'retro' 1" steerer tubes.
I would imagine that any kind of conversion kit to fit, for example a quill stem in a 1" threadless headset would be either mega heavy, or mega ugly, or both.

chazmtb

by chazmtb

You would need a new headset with threaded Italian threads. Then you would have to have a good shop cut the chrome steer tube so that you can use the threaded headset. Most good shops who deal with older Italian bikes should have these tools. The quill stem can now be used. This would only work for bikes with 1 inch head tube’s this would only work for bikes with 1 inch had tubes

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, I thought about it a bit afterwards and that’s the way I’d go. Is your Mapei a 1” steertube?
In the meantime, I’ve had a good afternoon but where I have to be is pouring rain and thundering. It was nice while it lasted. A rainbow is trying to form but you can’t really see it so I drew it in... ha.
Whoops! Sin of all sins. I just realized I posted a Trek in the Colnago thread. Should have been in “on the road today”. My most humble apologies.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

RobJ

by RobJ

Calnago wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:30 am

Whoops! Sin of all sins. I just realized I posted a Trek in the Colnago thread. Should have been in “on the road today”. My most humble apologies.
My eyes are burning 😂
2020 BMC TeamMachine SLR 01

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I should probably delete it from this thread huh? Lol. I’ll make up for this unfortunate transgression on my part tomorrow.
Just got home and unfortunately I did not stay dry. But the temp was never under 60F so it was invigorating rather than irritating.

RobJ

by RobJ

Calnago wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 3:00 am
I should probably delete it from this thread huh? Lol. I’ll make up for this unfortunate transgression on my part tomorrow.
Just got home and unfortunately I did not stay dry. But the temp was never under 60F so it was invigorating rather than irritating.
Haha at least it’s well dressed in Italian components, it’s red and best of all it’s out on the road.

gtv18

by gtv18

My latest effort:
C59, Record 10s, Hyperons...

Nick W.
Veni, Vidi, Velcro
(I came, I saw, I stuck around)

RobJ

by RobJ

Very cool. Can you provide some detail around the custom graphics on the saddle, tape and seat tube?

fogman

by fogman

RobJ wrote:
Calnago wrote:
Haha at least it’s well dressed in Italian components, it’s red and best of all it’s out on the road.
I’m being a nitpick, but why the “Shimano” decals on the seat tube and chain stays but Campagnolo components on the bike? Maybe too much trouble to remove?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

fogman wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 6:35 pm
RobJ wrote:
Calnago wrote:
I’m being a nitpick, but why the “Shimano” decals on the seat tube and chain stays but Campagnolo components on the bike? Maybe too much trouble to remove?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Trek RSL colorway.... might be under the clear..I dont know.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Sorry, I just left that post in the thread after I mistakenly posted it and made an edit saying I incorrectly posted to this thread. If you want to discuss it further you should go to this thread, although I'm sure you've seen it already....
Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet

But to answer your question about the Shimano Campy mashup, the Koppenberg was a very limited frame done for their pro riders and only in limited sizes. Not very many were available, but it came in only one colorway in 2016 (was black in 2015), all sponsor correct, as you see it there, before Segafredo became the cotitle sponsor. Up until then it was still just TREK FACTORY RACING. There are no decals that can be removed... it's all under the clearcoat. But I really liked the whole scheme in Viper Red so just left it, expecting a bunch of Shimano/Campy WTF? comments. But I've really got none, except for these right now. When people see it, they don't know much about it (that it's a "Koppenberg" for example, or how it differs from an Emonda or a Domane), they mostly just think something's different about it... and think it looks cool with Campy on it. If I ever get tired of the viper red, I'll get it resprayed to something really classy, sans SHIMANO logos all over it. But for now, it is what it is. Sorry for the diversion from the Colnagos.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Always just kind of liked this pic that I just snapped at a bathroom break. Old iPhone 4 pic. Classic wheels just feel right sometimes, a lot of times. 32 shiny stainless spokes and nice rims. Colnago C50, ST02... no build thread. Had this long before I even started posting on WW.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gtv18

by gtv18

RobJ wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:53 pm
Very cool. Can you provide some detail around the custom graphics on the saddle, tape and seat tube?
Thanks,

The Saddle is a Selle Italia SLR 'Snake Skin' Limited edition, from around 2001, - i have no idea where you would find one these days...

The Tape is Lizard Skins DSP 2.5mm bar tape - Phantom Camo.

The Set tube Graphics are simply a wrap, with a Colnago decal on top....

Nick W.
Veni, Vidi, Velcro
(I came, I saw, I stuck around)