Show me your Winter bikes

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

mattr

by mattr

If you can stand aluminium, the kinesis road training frames (T3 is the current one i believe) are pretty racey for a winter bike, they come with all the needed eyelets and clearances. (i have an aged TK, which has served me well for 10 years.)
Only geometry difference (at the time) between the TK and their race frame was an extra 5-8mm on the stays/rear centre. As far as i can remember nothing else was done to the numbers that affected handling. Stack, Reach, HT/ST, fork offset, bottom bracket height. Even had the same tubeset.4

No MacGyvering needed. (And fit decent bolts, of the right size, properly, and they won't rattle loose or corrode. :wink: )

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:52 pm
p-clips working solidly on my Parlee XD
Do you have pics? Or did you post it already somewhere?

@calnago as always I’m really loving that Emonda. A lot of MacGyvering in a good way, and seems like it really works. I’m just curious to know how you unmount the zipties around the brakes? Do you cut them as well and install new zipties?

@mattr actually I came very close to buying the Kinesis 4S a couple years ago. But what finally changed my mind was, that I’m pretty sure a can’t live with it being alu. I had a Caad10 at the time. It worked well as a winterbike since it ticks the box of being very racy. But eventually the hardness of the alu got my back aching. So for me alu is not an option. But if alu is not a problem, I’d definitely recommend the Kinesis offerings as well.

mattr

by mattr

:D WIth 28s at 60-70psi, the difference between decent Aluminium and Carbon isn't really what you'd call an issue!

chris47

by chris47

Here is my supersix in its winter guise. Its actually one of their womens bikes, but i put some vinyl wrap on all the pink parts so that it actually looks decent, to me anyways.
And when the roads are too nasty, i hide in the forest on this beast:
Its a specialized epic with modded rear suspension!

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Multebear wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:35 am
spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:52 pm
p-clips working solidly on my Parlee XD
Do you have pics? Or did you post it already somewhere?

not any good ones... no rain forecasted for this weekend.. debating if it's worth removing the fenders or not, knowing I'll have to put them on again.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

ianeire

by ianeire

My current five-day a week, year round commuter_trainer_occasional racer is a 2011 CAAD10 that I picked up second, third, fourth, who know's-hand in early 2017 and kit out with a mix of Campag 10/11 parts that I had accumulated. Mudguards are by Portland Design Works and are mega, but I need to extend the front a touch more. Plenty of winter and spring rain in Ireland (and summer and autumn!). The only downside with this particular version is that you're limited to mainly 23mm tyres, though some 25's will fit at a push.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Multebear wrote:[@calnago as always I’m really loving that Emonda. A lot of MacGyvering in a good way, and seems like it really works. I’m just curious to know how you unmount the zipties around the brakes? Do you cut them as well and install new zipties?
Yes, the zipties have to be snipped off and new ones added. Not too big a deal. I want to replace the brake calipers any day now so I’ll show the process maybe. Easy peasy but I guess you need the right tools and not everyone has a riveter.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Wookski

by Wookski

My shitty weather/ travel bike. Spooky aluminium, super record, wr compositi forks/ post/ saddle. Schmolke bars, tune stem and ax tubs with corsa controls (very durable and puncture resistant). Winter in Australia is pretty mild with lower than average rainfall so no need for fenders etc.

wheelie

by wheelie

My all-rounder Bianchi Zurigo MY 2013, also as cx racing bike. Can be combined with full-lenght 35 mm SKS Longboard mudguards

Mixed groupset on the photo, temporary setup after the crash (ultegra 6700 right shifter, tiagra 4600 left shifter, Tiagra 4700 crank, 105 5700 rear mech, tiagra 4600 front mech. Will change to all tiagra 4700 at spring), Mavic Cosmic Elite UST wheels with tubeless Schwalbe X-one 33 mm tyres, Avid Shorty ultimate brakes.
2020 Cervelo Aspero Apex 1 Mid Olive/Dune ----> Burgundy/Dark Orange
2022 Scott Addict RC10

Bondurant

by Bondurant

mattr wrote:If you can stand aluminium, the kinesis road training frames (T3 is the current one i believe) are pretty racey for a winter bike, they come with all the needed eyelets and clearances. (i have an aged TK, which has served me well for 10 years.)
Only geometry difference (at the time) between the TK and their race frame was an extra 5-8mm on the stays/rear centre. As far as i can remember nothing else was done to the numbers that affected handling. Stack, Reach, HT/ST, fork offset, bottom bracket height. Even had the same tubeset.4

No MacGyvering needed. (And fit decent bolts, of the right size, properly, and they won't rattle loose or corrode. :wink: )
Great frames, I must get around to posting a picture of my TK3 at some point. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

chirpy999

by chirpy999

trek.jpg
hi here is my trek, shes a good bike. Its very mild here in England today so did a 30 mile ride.

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

Bondurant wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:18 pm
mattr wrote:If you can stand aluminium, the kinesis road training frames (T3 is the current one i believe) are pretty racey for a winter bike, they come with all the needed eyelets and clearances. (i have an aged TK, which has served me well for 10 years.)

Great frames, I must get around to posting a picture of my TK3 at some point. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.
Here's my TK3, currently on its fifth winter. Perpetually filthy as it's hardly stopped raining here for almost a month now and every ride is a shitefest. Anything other than full guards with flaps simply isn't an option at the moment on our group rides:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Christmas Day... not sunny but not bad...

Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Multebear

by Multebear

Mockenrue wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:36 pm

Here's my TK3, currently on its fifth winter. Perpetually filthy as it's hardly stopped raining here for almost a month now and every ride is a shitefest. Anything other than full guards with flaps simply isn't an option at the moment on our group rides:

More pics of this one please :) :)

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Wookski wrote:Image

My shitty weather/ travel bike. Spooky aluminium, super record, wr compositi forks/ post/ saddle. Schmolke bars, tune stem and ax tubs with corsa controls (very durable and puncture resistant). Winter in Australia is pretty mild with lower than average rainfall so no need for fenders etc.
What a nugget...
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com