Show me your Winter bikes

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

bilwit

by bilwit

TonyM wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:30 pm
Good to see that you did your RM02 as a full winter bike 👍
Which fenders are you using?
Planet Bike Cascadia ALX with reflective Rainy Day Biking mudflaps. I've been considering replacing them with something with cleaner stays like the PDX or VeloOrange one but I'm not sure the PDX could fit under the fork because of it's weird squared-off shape and the VeloOrange would be a pain in the ass to try to drill holes into for the mudflaps

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

I am using the SKS longboard 35mm. They fit but you still have to drill some holes for the attachment to the RM02.

https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/longboard-black

+1 for the reflective mudflap! I use the same.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Just installed some PDW 650 beast fenders on my Parlee Zero XD... pictures later hopefully before the air quality gets superbad again in my area.

they are a little too wide for the forks and seat stays but get high enough for 28mm (measured 32) tires that I am using. Ended up wrapping the contacts points with a couple layers of electrical tape just in case ..will need to check it from time to time to make sure I'm not scratching the frame.

I feel like Road+ size was not on the website back when I ordered 650 beast.. or atleast I did not notice... Maybe I'll try city size.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Step83

by Step83

Not finished an mud guards are just the strap on ones as you can see, either Longboards or PDW's once I put the final wheelset on I can work out clearances.

9.75Kg as it sits, which is a bit meh

Question will be, silver or black...

themidge

by themidge

For the guards? Silver all the way.

Multebear

by Multebear

bilwit wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:21 pm
BMC Wintermachine!

Very nice.

Actually the last couple of fendered bikes are very nice and look like good wintertrainingmachines.

@bilwit; do you have close-ups of the rear brakebridge? I’d like to se how the fender is fastened to the brakebridge.

Look565w

by Look565w

My trusty Lynskey in winter mode, a mixture of Campagnolo Veloce, Centeur & Athena, with long reach TPR front brakes & Miche compact chainset. Deda cockpit, Erikson Ti seat post, Fizik Arione saddle, running on a set of handbuild Ambrosio Excel-light rim 28h wheels with Michalin Pro-Race Endurance 23mm rubber etc. To top it off, PDW Road Full metal fenders (bought some newer "Road Plus 37mm version hoping it will allow me some 25mm tyres ....... will see if it'll work) & my pride & joy - Tubus Airy Titanium pannier racks :-)

Due to our climate here in "sunny" West Coast of Scotland, I ride this set-up more than I do my summer steeds, so my logic is to have the "best" winter bike I can put together since I like to enjoy my cycling regardless of whether it's cold or warm outside.
This is a lovely & practical bike to ride, in various guises - I (have) use my Lynskey for winter riding, commuting, light touring & I've also rode 4 Cobble Classics on this rig & it never missed a beat!

This was yesterday while out in our local "Drum-up" on the shores of Loch Eck :-)

Cheers

bilwit

by bilwit

Multebear wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:49 am
Very nice.

Actually the last couple of fendered bikes are very nice and look like good wintertrainingmachines.

@bilwit; do you have close-ups of the rear brakebridge? I’d like to se how the fender is fastened to the brakebridge.

Multebear

by Multebear

Looks solid ^

TonyM

by TonyM

On my RM02:
IMG_5332.jpg

flying

by flying

shamrock134 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:25 am
Built a new winter bike recently and now I'm a tubeless/disc/mudguard convert.

Campag Potenza
Nice
How are you liking the new Potenza?

shamrock134

by shamrock134

flying wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:05 pm
Nice
How are you liking the new Potenza?
I've only used Chorus 11sp and Veloce 10sp previously. I'd put Potenza somewhere in the middle. The front shifting is a lot smoother than Veloce but Chorus is another level, especially with Ultra-shift.

The Campag hydraulic disc brakes are great as you might expect but I can't say they are any better or worse at stopping compared to Ultegra R8070 which I've tried on a rental bike.

I could probably have saved money getting Shimano but I've always preferred Campag's shifting ergonomics.

MrAnderson

by MrAnderson

My new winter bike after the Urgestalt was considered too nice for bad weather.

Look 785 huez, Ultegra HRD, 3T LTD ARX finishing kit, Fiz:ik Antares 00 seat, Look Keo Blade Ti pedals, Fulcrum Racing Quattro Carbonio wheelset.

Super smooth, top brakes - 7.9 kgs & never clean unlike this picture.

Multebear

by Multebear

Where do you live @MrAnderson?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

flying

by flying

shamrock134 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:53 pm

I've only used Chorus 11sp and Veloce 10sp previously. I'd put Potenza somewhere in the middle. The front shifting is a lot smoother than Veloce but Chorus is another level, especially with Ultra-shift.

The Campag hydraulic disc brakes are great as you might expect but I can't say they are any better or worse at stopping compared to Ultegra R8070 which I've tried on a rental bike.

I could probably have saved money getting Shimano but I've always preferred Campag's shifting ergonomics.
Thanks! Good to hear :thumbup: