Scott Foil RC 2016 build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

sigurdstaehr

by sigurdstaehr

Hello from Denmark,
The past year i’ve been going through a lot of bikes. I’ve just really not been able to be happy with them, on every bike i have found something i didnt like. The steering, the size, the brakes, the gears. Since i build them myself, i break even or make money every time i sell one of them, but im tired of switching all the time. So i thought i would try once and for all and get a bike i would be sincerely happy withImage.

My requirements were:
Reasonably light
Sram red etap
Mechanical direct Mount rim brakes
Aero (not required, but nice to have)
Reasonably priced

I was just about to give up when a Colnago v1r was sold right in front of me really cheap.
But with some looking and a bit creativity (looking for used bikes in sweden), i found this.

Scott foil 2016 RC with integrated handlebars, etap and Ee brakes.
The build is as follows:
2016 Scott foil rC frame, seatpost and syncros rr1.0 integrated handlebars in the correct size (120mm/42cm)
Eebrakes direct Mount
Sram red etap 11s with new Wear and tear set
3t c50 orbis 2 LTD Carbon clinchers

I put on the rest of the components:
Tune saddle and bottlecage
Sram red gxp crankset
Pedals (to be changed) Shimano xt
Veloflex master tyres

Now the weight is 6,9 kgs. It is a size medium frame and fits me perfectly at 182 cm with a Short torso.
It feels super fast. The braking is good but a little wonky compared to discs (i am coming from those) but i can live with that.
Wind resistance is feels really low (i know this is due to the aggressive posistion but its good anyway. Shifting is good and the bike has a huge range of gears with a 53/39 and 11-32 cassette. The bike climbs really Well and doesnt feel overly stiff nor fragile.
The reason for the mtb pedals is simple: i hate looking like a penguin at coffee stops and i have a great pair of cross shoes. I will upgrade the current xt set to single sided pd-es600 and save 90 grams soon. The power transfer being marginally worse is a small disadvantage i can live with. I’ve bought Carbon skewers so after those two quick upgrades i should be good to go at 6,8 kgs. Bear in mind this is with 50mm clinchers, pedals, cage, 11-32 cassette, heavy chainrings and No ultra lite tubes.... simply great.
Total cost is less than 4000 dollars.

Please let me see your Scott foils as i really enjoy taking inspiration from other builds. Input is welcome as you guys know a lot more than me about these bikes.

Best regards
SigurdImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

Welcome

I have a green and black Merida Reacto and would be delighted to get to a weight even close to yours. Nice bike!

As for pedals, I agree that road pedals have few benefits other than fashion
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

sigurdstaehr

by sigurdstaehr

onemanpeloton wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:35 pm
Welcome

I have a green and black Merida Reacto and would be delighted to get to a weight even close to yours. Nice bike!

As for pedals, I agree that road pedals have few benefits other than fashion
Thanks a lot. Yeah, the foils are often quite light. Eebrakes also help shed quite som weight off.
The funny thing about road pedals is that they only look cool on the bike. As soon as anyone steps off to get a coffee, talk or just stand at a traffic light, it looks simply hilarious. The big problem i find with mtb shoes is that there a not any spd pedals lighter than 260 grams. Eggbeaters are not really an option on a road bike, as they are unreliable and feel weird without some sort of "platform" around the mechanism.

Cheers

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

I agree about the egg beaters. I want to like them but tried them a few times and couldnt get on with them.

Check out the xpedo mforce 8 at 215g
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

How are the eebrakes with Sram Red Levers?

I'm potentially looking at this combo myself.

drumjdds

by drumjdds

beautiful build, thanks for sharing!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com