Look 795 Aerolight Weights / Custom Build Question

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

mrecliff

by mrecliff

Hi All,
I'm a new member, starting to get into cycling. I bought a used Look 795 Aerolight frame and fork that had some damage. The fork is beyond repair, but I had intended on trying to get the cracked frame chainstay repaired; however, I am aware of the safety risks of riding a repaired carbon fiber frame. The other option was to make a custom aluminum alloy frame that could utilize 795 Aerolight components. I do a lot of aluminum welding, so I could easily spec out an equivalent tubeset to make it work. I know this is a weird thing to do, but I'm a tinkerer so I would do it for the build challenge and to see how it rides. What would you all do in this scenario?

1. Repair the carbon fiber frame and pray it never fails mid-ride :shock:
2. Make the aluminum alloy equivalent frame (with ability to accept BB65 Zed3 crankset) and be the only one riding this kind of setup :P
3. Throw it away and buy a new bike! :D

Go easy on me, I'm just a newbie!

In any event, I saw Weight Weenies was lacking any weight information on the 795 Aerolight. Therefore, I submitted actual weights for the frame (Large), fork, headset, and bottom bracket (which is just two 65mm beaings and two lock rings because of the Zed cranket arrangement). See the pictures below.
Attachments
LOOK 797 Aerolight Size L.jpeg
LOOK 795 aero fork HSC8-RDjpeg.jpeg
BB65 bearing.jpeg
bottom bracket cable guide.jpeg
LOOK 795 rear derailleur hanger.jpeg
1.5 headset bearing.jpeg
headset threaded insert.jpeg
2-piece bearing seat.jpeg
1.125 headset bearing.jpeg

themidge

by themidge

Definitely weld your own frame! A, how cool is it to have a bike you literally made yourself, and B, those Look cranks look awesome.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com