Pinarello F8 1x allrounder build

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

sigurdstaehr

by sigurdstaehr

Good evening

Been looking at some pinarellos lately, and finally decided to swipe the card on a f8 frameset in pearl white/Dark mettalic blue and some Gold/brass coloured lettering

The aim with this build is to make it as reliable, fast, versatile and aestethically pleasing as possible. Some might say that 1x and versatility doesnt go in the same sentence, but since i live in Denmark which is mostly flat with some punchy hills in my area(copenhagen), 1x is just perfect since i wont ever go slower than 18 kph.

Im a high schooler so some of the parts will be used - but a higher quality than i would have been able to afford from new.

So far everything is ordered and i expect to have a rideable bike around the 3rd of june.

Gears - im trying to get only black/dark Grey parts:

Crankset: Sram Force 1 crankset with direct Mount absolute Black chainring. Edit: its a 48 tooth chainring since they didn't make the cutout version in 50t.
RD: Sram red Black edition 10 speed (147g)
Levers: Sram Force 11 (277g)
Cassette: ultegra 11-28 from the basement, aluminium Sram lockring
Chain: Dura-ace 9100
Cables: SRAM

Brakes:
Sram red black edition(277g) or Dura-Ace 9100(326g)
Im leaning towards the DA pair since the pads are way better, they cope better with the wide rims and look better. Only reasons to choose the Red brakes (bear in mind they are the Old Dual pivot design) would be due to better lever ratio and the fact that they’re all black.

Wheelset:
Black Inc thirty tubulars (28 spoles rear, 24 front)
Dont know the weight but they’re really Well built, has got nice and sturdy wide rims(25mm) and dt240 hubs with the nice mechanical ratchet freehub. Ceramicspeed bearings + 25mm tyres means low resistance. These wheels feel way better than my previous zipp 303s
Tyres will be changed to veloflex front and rear and get some tubeless sealant for puncture protection. Tanwalls to match Gold/brass details

Carbon skewers

Zipp SL beyond Black alloy cockpit (traditional bend bars)
The finish is really good, its stiff. Not very light but thats a sacrifice. I like to have the possibility to change stem length and different bar widths.
As far as i remember it was like 140g stem and 280g handlebars.

Saddle: Tune komm+vor
Nice saddle i got for cheap. Weighs 107g(since its the Old model) but fits nicely with the seatpost and frame colours. Note: will see if i can get rid of the team sky logos on the seatpost.

Pedals: speedplay x stainless steal. Bottle cage: tacx Carbon/white. Fits with the colours. Might put on 2 instead of 1

For now: pictures.
Have a great weekend and stay safe
Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

velov

by velov

That's a very baller build for a high schooler...props! Plan on running tubs as daily wheels?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sigurdstaehr

by sigurdstaehr

velov wrote:That's a very baller build for a high schooler...props! Plan on running tubs as daily wheels?
Thanks a lot! Yes.. i will only be riding 2-3x a week and im familiar with tubs since i run a small bike workshop out of my parents basement. I usually carry 1 spare and money to get a cab, should i puncture twice.

sigurdstaehr

by sigurdstaehr

Quick Update. The bike is coming together nicely and im waiting for my 19th birthday to come up om wednesday as i’ve sold the red calipers (which did not fit the wheel width of 25mm at all) and wished for a pair of Dura ace 9100 brakes (and my parents tells me not to buy a new set of brakes!). Planning on going for a ride in the evening of my birthday. Still debating whether the zipp bars are too heavy and big(Big reach+drop) as they look somewhat bulky in relation to the rest of the bike. Might get a pair of carbon compact bars to lighten the bike further.

The shifting works excellent with the red rd+Force 1 shifters. Short cage is enough for the 28t cassette but i dont think i’ll be able to fit a 32t. The picture might trick the eye, but dont worry about the shifting cable in the front. It isn’t as stretched out as it looks

Final weight will be right around an acceptable 6,6 kgs.

Best regards

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Looks good, I love white frames! A few notes though:

Your shifters are way too low on the bars, they should have a flat transition from the ramps to the shifters.
I would route the rear shifter housing on to the non drive side, its a smoother line and gives a cleaner look, especially going 1x.
Your rear brake housing exit the top tube looks a smidge too long.

I don't personally think the Zipp bars look out of place, but its all personal preference.

sigurdstaehr

by sigurdstaehr

dudemanppl wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 5:00 pm
Looks good, I love white frames! A few notes though:

Your shifters are way too low on the bars, they should have a flat transition from the ramps to the shifters.
I would route the rear shifter housing on to the non drive side, its a smoother line and gives a cleaner look, especially going 1x.
Your rear brake housing exit the top tube looks a smidge too long.

I don't personally think the Zipp bars look out of place, but its all personal preference.
Thanks a lot !
Will finetune those details - nice to have an experienced eye look at it :-) I'll check up on the rear derraileur housing and see if i can move the inner sleeve. I tried both sides and the drive side hole had a cable lining running all the way to the RD hole in the chainstay. Quick recommendation: The zipp service course bar tape has a really good rubber-y feel to it and is easy to wrap. I always do a wonky bar wrap, and this one was way easier to get right!
best regards

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Mine didn't come with an inner sleeve, so I assume it would be removable. Wrapping bars is an art, once you wrap enough, it becomes second nature! You'll get it some day. It's taken me years until I was happy with my wrapping skills.

sigurdstaehr

by sigurdstaehr

dudemanppl wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:27 pm
Mine didn't come with an inner sleeve, so I assume it would be removable. Wrapping bars is an art, once you wrap enough, it becomes second nature! You'll get it some day. It's taken me years until I was happy with my wrapping skills.
Yes - will keep practicing! Its a good skill to have. I have seen your strada build and that is one nice bike! Quite impressive with the weight of 6.8 kgs with discs and shimano gears included. Cheers :beerchug:

sigurdstaehr

by sigurdstaehr

Done! I rode it yesterday and must say it rides fantastically. The DA-9100 brakes are perfect in terms of braking performance. 6.5 kgs(14.33 pounds) as a full build everything included. I think i will get some deep section tubulars with a stealthy look (hed stinger 6/ black inc eighty/ da9100 75c) for fast and flat rides as it is noticeable that the black Inc thirties are meant for climbing and not so aero. Fortunately my position is pro-like and i gain some benefit from that. I hope that its still around the weight limit with the deep section wheelsImage
Im even able to fit 28c tires if i want that, as the frame and brake clearance is good both in the front and back.
Best regards

sigurdstaehr

by sigurdstaehr

Black tires: decided that the tanwalls were ugly as f**%
Tufo elite ride 25c high tpi (high puncture protection, 250gs each)

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Tanwalls look great on black/white bikes

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

sigurdstaehr

by sigurdstaehr

robbosmans wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:29 pm
Tanwalls look great on black/white bikes

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Yes indeed, but they are so hard to keep clean and with the rider on the bike, wearing all sorts of weirdly coloured rapha jerseys(and sometimes even team dimension data bibs, gosh), i think the black walls will be easier to match with the kit. Currently a bit tired of having flats, as i've had two on the past three rides (im aware that has nothing to do with the colour of the sidewalls). Apparently the tufo tubs aren't as puncture proof as they claim. Anyhow, its puncture season here in denmark, given the roads havent been ridden enough to clear the debris from the spring - so that might be the reason.

best regards

vincenz

by vincenz

Good job on that, I like how the f8 and f10 look over the f12. I actually prefer the tan walls on that bike. Tan walls look great on white bikes and that one is no exception. Harder to keep clean, but worth it.

KarlC

by KarlC

sigurdstaehr wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:20 am

Im even able to fit 28c tires if i want that, as the frame and brake clearance is good both in the front and back.
Best regards

You night be able to fit 28s but the will surly rub on your chain stays when riding.

Really Nice looking F8 tho !!!

C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sigurdstaehr

by sigurdstaehr

vincenz wrote:Good job on that, I like how the f8 and f10 look over the f12. I actually prefer the tan walls on that bike. Tan walls look great on white bikes and that one is no exception. Harder to keep clean, but worth it.
Thanks a lot ! I also prefer the looks of the f8 and f10, although thats silly to say as i certainly cant afford an f12. The kinks on the down tube just looks kind of odd to me. Will reconsider the tanwalls since i’ve been told by quite some people those look better.

[mention]KarlC [/mention]
Thanks for the compliment and yeah, i wont try fitting 28s. I’ve been used to ridning 23c for some time now and the 25s feel plenty comfortable for me. Tyre rub would make me quite sad as the frame is in really good condition..

Cheers