Show us your sub 1000$/€/£ budget weenies

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

theStig

by theStig

With all the expensive rides , it would be interesting to see what you guys can do on a budget

bedampft

by bedampft

Apparently not much :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wolfesquire

by wolfesquire

With how expensive bikes are, I would consider $2,500 or even $5,000 as "budget" now adays....

Maddie

by Maddie

Pity that this thread doesn't get more love, I'd find it interesting to see what one can achieve when creativity is more relevant than the size of the wallet.

theStig

by theStig

I mean they're definitely out there.. its possible to get enough chinese parts to build under budget, but also plenty of 2-3 generation old rides that are dirt cheap right now and can hit WW without spending a lot of money.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Without the spare tub, water bottle with water and with lighter pedals (shimano 1055 pedals are 460g) it weighs 6 kg.

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

Most of it depends on what you can find second hand. Common features include (prices in AUD here - multiply by 0.63 for USD):

- 2-3 generation old lightweight frame (eg Cannondale SS Evo, Focus Izalco SL, older Giant TCR SL) - $500
- 10 speed SRAM Red - $400
- older carbon tubular wheels - $300-400
- BB30 crank if frame supports it - older SRAM Red is a good candidate and usually goes cheaply - $100
- 0 setback Chinese seatpost and cut it down - $30
- whatever minimal saddle you can find cheaply or Chinese carbon - $30-50
- Kalloy Uno stem - $30
- some second hand carbon bars - $50-60 if lucky, depends on brand, size, style (eg ergo bends are now very unpopular and thus cheap)
- not worth skimping on tyres - get whatever your preference. Might already be something left on the wheels if you're lucky.
- Xpedo Thrust pedals if buying new ($60) or some second hand Look pedals around the same price. Shimano pedals are my preference, but they are heavier.
- whatever titaniums skewers you can find - $20-30.

This is pretty likely to get you around 6.5kg for probably $1800 AUD with some luck ($1150 USD). Of course, this isn't taking into account anything in terms of usability, practicality, aero, low gearing, etc., but just hitting low weight on a budget.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The above bike I posted required little new spend as I had excess parts that I used.

The parts I bought were used schmolke bars, Savied saddle, extralite stem, camapagnole record brake levers, woodman seatpost, frame and fork. Everything else I already had. Every part I bought was used apart from the stem and seatpost. I did look out for lightly used items.