White finishing kit - show me yours!

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

coriordan

by coriordan

So I am about to change my bars and stem on my bike and want to see what it's gonna look like.

This is my bike:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=148787

There is a safety/build issue in that the stem should have a shim between the stem and headtube but my bike doesn't and after reaching out to Colnago UK and Italy they can't get them any more so I am changing it. I am looking at at 3T Arx Team in white as per the other pic in the above thread or a Deda Zero100, also in white. This then raises the question of bars - do I want white or black bars? I do like my 3T Tornova ones, but they are currently too wide so will need replacing anyway. I can't get the Deda Zero100 bars in white in a 42 C-C (my size) so am shopping around.

My request is to see what various white/black combos are out there and what looks nice.

My current plan would be:

White Stem and White Bar tape (Deda Carbon) and wonder if it look ok with a black set of bars (only the clamp and the 10cm across the tops which is untaped).

My budget is limited so don't want to change the seatpost if at all possible.

In the words of Jay-Z, show me what you got.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I would get the white Deda Zero 100 stem if you can find one but not sure they make them anymore, in white that is. I found one in matte white, which just looks dirty, but I got it anyway, buffed it (roughed it) up a bit then hit it with a gloss clearcoat and you can't tell it wasn't clearcoated from the start. Also, put the spacer underneath the stem. You'll probably end up the same height as that stem you've got due to the different angles (I think they're different) and I think it would look better if you're not cutting the steertube. If you can find one of the15-16mm conical headset covers that fits your headset I think that would also be nicer, then plain stock spacers stacked immediately above a rather large diameter headtube. Makes for a nicer transition as opposed to a stump growing out of a beercan look.

Black bars are totally fine given they'll be wrapped in white tape, as I think entirely white bars looks a little "too white" in most circumstances. That's a preference thing. Shape and compatibility with your shifters is the first priority. As for sizing, just be aware that in Deda bars, if you want 42c-c then your closest Deda size is 44, since they measure o-o.

Keep the seatpost, but I've never liked how they paint the seat collar often to match the frame. To me, it makes it look like the whole thing is dipped in a batch of paint like a dipped cone at Dairy Queen would be. A nice Campy seat collar would separate things there, and is subtle enough not to clash with your Shimano group. Your Shimano group is just fine, no matter if it's Shimano or Campy, as long as it's done right.

But those big ZIPP logos are just a bit too much for me. I'd get rid of them completely.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

coriordan

by coriordan

Thanks Calnago - appreciate your advice and eye.

Someone else has mentioned the white seatpost collar and I know there is a similar black one available so may keep an eye out on eBay if it's not too exorbitant.

Regarding the stems, there are a couple of retailers here in the UK who stock the Zero100 in white and there some new ones also on eBay who can ship to the UK. Interesting to hear your thoughts about clearcoating it, I like that idea. I have the same in BoB on my other bike and the matt finish does look grubby pretty quickly and very hard to clean. I see your point about the beercan look but I don't really want a topcap as I really want the bars to go lower. Perhaps I'd be better on a 56T or 52S but we are where we are. I may remove some of the excess steerer at some point but only once I've got this stem situation sorted. I think my mind is made up though which is a good start.

Angle wise, the Zero100 has a steeper angle at 8 degrees (I don't know for sure but the Nemesis one is either 0 deg, 5 or 7 deg depending on which website you look at). Is there an easy way to measure? Presume I can stand it on a table and try and measure the gap between it and a flat surface.

It's now a toss up between the Zero100 or the 3T Arx Team. I don't think I'm going to lose any sleep over the 2 degrees difference (8 vs 6) but I do quite like the red stripe on the 3T one which I have also found in white (see page 2 of the above thread for the ideal 'look') and I think the quality (weight/stiffness) is pretty marginal. Kalloy Uno also do one in white which is even cheaper at 7 degrees.

I like your thoughts on the bars and actually now I look again I think a small strip of black will be fine and mean my garmin mount etc won't look so out of place. Size wise, my Dedas are 42cm so I guess that's a 40 in 3T. One thing the 3T bar does do is deliver a perfectly flat transition from bars to shifter which I don't necessarily require so a slight dip from bar to shifter hood may even be better so I can get my position lower still (kind of how campy shifters tend to look). Not sure how I would go about creating that though.

Re: the ZIPP logos, they are now removed and replaced with stealth ones (see page 3).

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

coriordan wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:36 pm
Someone else has mentioned the white seatpost collar and I know there is a similar black one available so may keep an eye out on eBay if it's not too exorbitant.
Where do you live... if you PM me your address and it's not too expensive to ship, I'll just send you one as I have a few lying around that I've taken off and replaced immediately with the Campy collars.
coriordan wrote:
Angle wise, the Zero100 has a steeper angle at 8 degrees (I don't know for sure but the Nemesis one is either 0 deg, 5 or 7 deg depending on which website you look at). Is there an easy way to measure? Presume I can stand it on a table and try and measure the gap between it and a flat surface.
It's pretty easy to tell if it's a "0 degree" stem since it will be an easily recognizable (by sight) right angle from your steer tube.
coriordan wrote:
... One thing the 3T bar does do is deliver a perfectly flat transition from bars to shifter which I don't necessarily require so a slight dip from bar to shifter hood may even be better so I can get my position lower still (kind of how campy shifters tend to look). Not sure how I would go about creating that though.
If you want to be lower up front, then the ramp offered by a "Classic" shaped bar like the Deda Zero 100 SHALLOW will get you there, although it may not mesh as well with Shimnano levers as it does with Campy. I prefer the ramp of the Deda SHALLOW's, so if you want a flat transition to the hoods they aren't for you. I hate that they're called SHALLOW in capital letters however, since the drop is actually 135mm which is by no means "shallow" by todays standards. I actually can't stand drops as shallow as 125mm as, unless there is a sizeable flare to the drops from the hoods, my wrists will just be banging against the bars behind the hoods when I'm in the drops. Again, bars are a preference thing.
coriordan wrote:
Re: the ZIPP logos, they are now removed and replaced with stealth ones (see page 3).
Better, but I'd even get rid of the stealth ones too.
Last edited by Calnago on Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Personally, I went with Supacaz Starfade, white to black and white cable housing. This would allow you to leave the black bars and fade to white tape. I'm also contemplating white hoods for my brifters.

* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Like it was said before, I personally would not do white bars. Just wrap them in white tape. I would go as far as suggest black stem and seat post collar like I did in mine. I think it is a good contrast of colors, but certainly a personal choice in the end.

coriordan

by coriordan

Thanks dgasm - genuinely appreciate your comments and another eye. Your c60 looks ace. Black seat collar it is. My preference still a white stem though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

coriordan

by coriordan

Gone for the Pro Vibe -10 Di2 stem and bars. Being fitted this week. LBS gave me free servicing for life when I bought the bike so they can do the work! Only downside, meant paying full price for the bars!