Orbea Orca? Please post here.

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Nice :thumbup: Why XTR, though? Had one sitting around or to silence the chain? I must admit, silent chain is great and I love it on my MTB, but extra 100g might not be worth it. And NW, clutched RD and chain catcher seem like an overkill.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zitter

by Zitter

Thanks! Found a new one for cheap on ebay and wanted the extra bling over the Ultegra RX. Still lost about 200g from 2x overall and the extra security of the chain catcher + clutch RD is worth the ~70g penalty :)

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Zitter wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:08 am
Found a new one for cheap on ebay and wanted the extra bling over the Ultegra RX. Still lost about 200g from 2x overall and the extra security of the chain catcher + clutch RD is worth the ~70g penalty :)
How do you find 1x? After a handful of rides I find it better than subpar 2x experience I had before (which was totally my own fault): risk of chain drop; poor chainline on most used gears (2-5 inner cogs on rear and big in front); slow/finicky front shift, which slowed me down, especially on rolling terrain; chain rub in lowest and highest gears. All of those issues are gone now and new ones are acceptable: gap wider than previously between gears that I use most of the time at 26-30kmh and 30-34kmh, but OK so far; downshift from 32 sometimes pulls the chain back onto 32 for a ~1/5th of rotation, maybe I should adjust the limit screw. Yesterday, I rode a rolling section that was annoying before, now it's just shifting across most of the range, so simple! And I use most of the cassette range now: 38x9, even 38x10, is more than enough for most descents around here and I plan to move to a flat city soon. Cruising gears have a perfect chainline. I beat all my climbing PRs after the upgrade, partially thanks to a lower lowest gear (34x26 vs 38x32).

jedroll

by jedroll

Hi! I want to buy my first Orca I am 180cm and the leg lenght 83cm. I wonder will it be better to byu 53 with a longer steam or 55 with a shorter steam?
Thanks for help.

CraigKnobovitch

by CraigKnobovitch

My Orca in it's current glory. Still debating about getting the 2020 Aero and selling this...
Attachments
IMG_8966.jpeg

Zitter

by Zitter

Klaster_1 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:38 am
Zitter wrote:
Found a new one for cheap on ebay and wanted the extra bling over the Ultegra RX. Still lost about 200g from 2x overall and the extra security of the chain catcher + clutch RD is worth the ~70g penalty :)
How do you find 1x? After a handful of rides I find it better than subpar 2x experience I had before (which was totally my own fault): risk of chain drop; poor chainline on most used gears (2-5 inner cogs on rear and big in front); slow/finicky front shift, which slowed me down, especially on rolling terrain; chain rub in lowest and highest gears. All of those issues are gone now and new ones are acceptable: gap wider than previously between gears that I use most of the time at 26-30kmh and 30-34kmh, but OK so far; downshift from 32 sometimes pulls the chain back onto 32 for a ~1/5th of rotation, maybe I should adjust the limit screw. Yesterday, I rode a rolling section that was annoying before, now it's just shifting across most of the range, so simple! And I use most of the cassette range now: 38x9, even 38x10, is more than enough for most descents around here and I plan to move to a flat city soon. Cruising gears have a perfect chainline. I beat all my climbing PRs after the upgrade, partially thanks to a lower lowest gear (34x26 vs 38x32).
After having ridden it for several months, I can safely say I'll never go back to 2x. With the 3T Bailout cassette, I have the same range as 52x36 11-28 with 1 tooth jumps where it matters most and bigger spacing in the back which doesn't bother me at all. I've adjusted to the new jumps and can do everything I did before and not have to worry about timing the front shifting which is nice in group rides where we have fast run-ins to punchy climbs. For long mountain days I have a 10-42t 1099 cassette which I don't mind either. I also took the chain catcher off and haven't dropped a chain yet

LewisK

by LewisK

Zitter wrote:
Thanks! Found a new one for cheap on ebay and wanted the extra bling over the Ultegra RX. Still lost about 200g from 2x overall and the extra security of the chain catcher + clutch RD is worth the ~70g penalty :)
That’s a healthy weight saving by going 1 x isn’t it . Easier to clean and maintain too. I guess it’s worth doing if you can find the gearing that suits the terrain you ride!

bikerider007

by bikerider007

Hello weightweenies! New to bike building. I'm thinking about buying an Orbea Orca M20i D (frame size 55), and then swapping out various parts to bring down the weight (bars/stem/wheels/saddle, but probably keep the Ultegra Di2 groupset). Is it possible at all to get the total weight down to ~7.5kg, or am I being too optimistic? For the bars/wheels I have in mind the Pro Vibe Aero Superlight and a pair of DT Swiss ARC 1400 Dicut 48s. Thanks 8)

reedplayer

by reedplayer

Zitter wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:02 am
Changed it up and went 1x on my Orca (42 x 9-32 3T Bailout cassette)

7.12kg without computer
nice!

Zitter

by Zitter

LewisK wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:27 am

That’s a healthy weight saving by going 1 x isn’t it . Easier to clean and maintain too. I guess it’s worth doing if you can find the gearing that suits the terrain you ride!
It's just a win-win overall if it works for you! Going to be swapping the group over to my Alchemy Eros when it comes in and will probably build up the Orca as a rain/race/commuter bike

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Been quite a while. This bike is now four years old. A couple of position changes, but otherwise still loving it.

Never cheer before you know who is winning

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Never cheer before you know who is winning

Maddie

by Maddie

Very very nice

Arph

by Arph

Orbea Orca 2009, 6,1 kgs as pictured (Dura Ace C24 7850 tubular wheels, Speedneedle Marathon Plus Saddle, Woodman seatpost, Extralite stem and compression nut, Fiberlyte top cap, New Ultimate bars, Sram Red 10 speed, Sram Red Exogram cranks, ee Brakes, iLink, Arundel Mandible cages).

Currently re-building it with Force deraileurs, brakes and cages tbd, maybe some other cranks as I may use the Red ones on another bike. Main use will be some HT in winter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com