Focus on...Focus

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

DavG wrote:I've read so much information about them already, my head is spinning. How good is he? I'm looking for a bike for long-distance and my marathon, so I'm going through a bunch of options. I like the style of this bike.
I love mine, I won’t ever want to get rid of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cjnl

by cjnl

It will be difficult to get an objective answer here. You will get a lot of personal experiences from people owning this particular bike. And with how many bikes can one compare it with?

I ride two Canyon Aeroads (2011 and 2018) a Canyon Inflite (on tarmac with 32mm GP 5000 tubeless), P3, SHIV and the Izalco Max. I never thought there would be much of a comfort difference and never experienced any discomfort on my aero bikes. But after riding the Focus for quite some period I did not look forward to riding on my Canyons again. So there really is a difference. It will provide lots af pure ridinig pleasure in the mountains it corners extremely well in descent and is it always stable. If you don't mind cables outside the frame, you will have the pleasure of easy maintenance and low friction for mechanical shifting and braking. I truly like that brake feel, more direct than disc brakes and just no resistance and plenty of power.

Problems with the bike might be the fit. It is extremely low and long. So be carefull about that. Other area it probably does not excel is aerodynamics. You cannot detect it while riding of course, but there must be some loss there in terms of pure performance: round tubes, round seatpost and cables exposed to the air.

I cannot really describe why it is so great, but it is a bike you want to pick up for your rides having multiple choices. The other bikes are also top of the line, full carbon and carbon parts + DA. So also great bikes, but where stock bikes and did not receive that much love on assembing it. That might be one of the reasons why it I love it more.

On the road you will not feel the weight difference that much besides the front wheel+cockpit, but when you pick it up before the ride it will always give a joyfull moment lifting a mere 5 kilos of pure bike beauty.

pnk

by pnk

reedplayer wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:09 pm
Thank you very much.
Interesting, what you say about the cd super six evo, because, i must admit, the super six evo hm black inc gen 1 is one of the very few frames left, i really would appreciate to own. i fear, if i`d find one in my size, i`d struggle very hard not to buy it (in other words, i probably would buy it..).

the wheels are farsport tubulars, 25/23mm, with Extralite hubs. They weigh 915 gr. the bike weighs 5,53 kg atm (BBB bartape is a little bit heavy...;-) ).

I hope i dont overdo it, but here is another pic.( of bad quality, how always), where you at least can recognize the typical "riffle" of the farsports-rim better.

For me a DS side profile picture is the one picture of a bike I want to see and I do not care mutch about photo quality (do not even know what this is ;) as long as I can see the bike. So your pictures are perfect! + I come to the gallery threads to see pictures of bikes more bike pictures are more better ^^

Impressive weight for your a very nice new wheelset and the complete bike weight as well! I initially thought that these might be farsports but I although thought I might be influence to much due to my research in buying one of their feder (clichner) wheelsets :) How do you rate them regarding breaking and stiffness and the hubs ?

Regarding the Super Six I can totally relate to you. One of my all time bike part searches is looking for size 54/56 Super Six frames. Not the current model of coures! I also remember a nice gen 1 Super Six black inc build here where the original fork was replace with a gen 2 fork. IMO this was and is one of the best looking bikes ever!

reedplayer

by reedplayer

Hi,
i did not ride the farsports wheelset yet, because here ist still winter, and the roads/cycle paths still are full of crap, so you wont come far with those sensitive veloflex-tubs. but i ll give a ride report asap!

btw. i know the super six evo gen1 with the gen2 fork you are talking about, its one of my all-time-favorites as well!

i already owned an evo gen1 for half a year, great bike, very similar riding behaviour to the izalco max, geometry as good as identical, only difference i noticed was steering, which is a tad slower on the izalco.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

That looks REALLY good
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

jameskgowan

by jameskgowan

I've just picked up a rim brake Izalco Max (2015 I think), and wanted to find out whether anyone else here has used a rim brake version with a set of LightBicycle AR46 or 56s? The outer rim profile is 28 and inner of 21 and I'm looking at using a 25mm GP5000 or Veloflex Corsa 25mm which should measure out to around 27~28mm. Any experience greatly appreciated!

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

jameskgowan wrote:I've just picked up a rim brake Izalco Max (2015 I think), and wanted to find out whether anyone else here has used a rim brake version with a set of LightBicycle AR46 or 56s? The outer rim profile is 28 and inner of 21 and I'm looking at using a 25mm GP5000 or Veloflex Corsa 25mm which should measure out to around 27~28mm. Any experience greatly appreciated!
My rim brake FIM had Aeolus XXX4s with various tires like GP5000s, Corsa Speeds, Turbo Cottons, etc. 23-26mm tires and they all inflated to various widths but widest ever was 28mm and it was ok.

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Made some updates a few months ago and just rode it today. 5.1kg exactly as pictured.
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

666pounder

by 666pounder

LOVELY! The proportions of this build are perfect. I think this was one of the best (if not the best) graphic on Izalco. Lightweight wheels and Darimo components perfectly match the frame as well.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

666pounder wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:09 pm
LOVELY! The proportions of this build are perfect. I think this was one of the best (if not the best) graphic on Izalco. Lightweight wheels and Darimo components perfectly match the frame as well.
Thank you.

I'm very happy with how it all came together. Now I wait for the opportunity to take it climbing. :up:
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

warickwrx

by warickwrx

Hi

I am looking for one or two pictures of a Izalco Max with a raw carbon finish with clearcoat. I am looking to have a frame refurbished and need some ideas. Cant seem to find many pictures on the www.

Thanks

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

warickwrx wrote:Hi

I am looking for one or two pictures of a Izalco Max with a raw carbon finish with clearcoat. I am looking to have a frame refurbished and need some ideas. Cant seem to find many pictures on the www.

Thanks
The Fling: A #metoo Izalco Max
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

warickwrx

by warickwrx

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:38 am
warickwrx wrote:Hi

Thanks
The Fling: A #metoo Izalco Max
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Dont know its its just me but I still can't see the carbon layup on this frame. The 2016 disk frame I have seems to have a visible layup under the clear coat. It is still the orgional decal and paint scheme.

velov

by velov

What's the realistic clearance on the newer series 9 disc bikes? Any chance of fitting 32mm-33mm (measured) tires?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com