Focus on...Focus

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

kofsw4

by kofsw4

Klaster1 wrote:
kofsw4 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 4:04 pm
The rims look cool and compliment the frame joints well. I'd like to get a set too when the flyweight version comes out. How do you like the rims, do tires balloon much, what was the weight?
Thanks Image

I got LB to build the rims up with DT Swiss 240s hubs and the wheelset came out at 1435g. Not sure how much lighter the flyweights are going to be but I was surprised and pleased with that weight.

The Michelin Pro Competition 25c tyres I mounted on them came out at a perfectly maatched 28mm at 80psi.

I've ridden the wheels a couple of times and now and have been very impressed with how stiff they are.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

reedplayer

by reedplayer

del.
Last edited by reedplayer on Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 26 times in total.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Almost ready to start my own Izalco Max build. 2015 DI2 frame......... pleasantly suprised when I put the frame on the scales @ 699 grams. Waiting on parts now will post images once complete. Never thought I would own a matte black bike...........

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

sib

by sib

@Reedplayer

Very nice! I like the understated blue accents.
Do you have a full build list?
How does it ride, and are there any other bikes you can compare it to?

reedplayer

by reedplayer

@sib:
thank you!
i am riding izalco max frames since 2014, so you can imagine that i am quite satisfied with the ride.

i although own a ridley helium (no sl) from 2016 and i owned a cannondale super six evo himod from 2013 (rode it in 2017 for half a year).
short comparison:

handling: cd and ridley are little bit more agile, focus is in best sense neutral. so maybe not the best crit bike, but absolutely perfect for long curvy descends in the mountain area.

geometry: aggressive, very similar to super six evo, at least in size 52

weight/stiffness: although very similar to super six evo himod, no noteworthy difference. (ridley is not as stiff and heavier, not sl version, as said, but easily stiff enough, at least for my 61-62 kg!)

i prefered the izalco, because of handling and for aesthetical reasons (izalco design is very simple, just slim round tubes all over, as good as no embellishment, very pure and classical.) but both good frames, a question of personal preference!

the ridley is a little different in terms of geometry. its my second bike for uci-labeled races (one kilo heavier:-) ) and when the weather is not so great.
really like the ridley as well!

here is a list with parts/weights (nearly only standard parts, i need a solid bike for the use in marathons in the mountain area)
Izalco max 2017.jpg
regards,
Last edited by reedplayer on Thu May 24, 2018 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

@reedplayer that parts list is weird in a cool way, just like another list in both French and English.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

Klaster1 wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 2:05 am
@reedplayer that parts list is weird in a cool way........
:D

its more or less the spreadsheet from the board here. i edited it and added some punctuations, hopefully making it clearer.

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

@reedplayer
...great work, I like your bike 5.85kg is impressive

I'm in the process of updating my shifters, callipers and discs...thinking final weight will be around 6.7kg
A lot porkier than yours

I'll put up an updated build list in next month
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

reedplayer

by reedplayer

@Squashednuts: i just say: wheelset and brakes!

sib

by sib

Is it possible to run a 46x36 crankset on the Focus Izalco Max?
Is there enough space on the braze-on to move the FD downwards to fit the smaller diameter of the 46-ring?

reedplayer

by reedplayer

hmm, i never tried to run 46. but i can move the FD so far downwards, that it easily touches the 50-ring.

sib

by sib

Thanks @Reedplayer, sounds promising.
I've sent Focus an email to confirm.

scale29

by scale29

You CAN’T run 36/46 in the Izalco. My wife has one and I tried, but you couldn’t get the FM low enough to cope. Had to go back to 34/50.

Some of the weight you guys are getting is impressive, I weighed her xxs disc frame at 850g before building and with Ultegra DI2, Fizik finishing kit R1 Carbon and admittedly heavy wheels for now it was 7.8kg! Looking to put it on a 700g diet over the winter....

sib

by sib

@scale29

That's interesting (I'm yet to hear back directly from Focus on the 46/36).
What FD did you try? Do you think a 48 would work??
Also, do you think it might be related to frame size?

Thanks in advance..!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scale29

by scale29

It was a 6870 Di2 maybe a mechanical might be better, maybe a 48 might work, but there was a big gap to the 46t