πατα τραβα ρε

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Out of interest to show the issue, here's a pic of a saddle in the clamp. Look at all the daylight around the rails, and notice how the "support" is concentrated in very thin sections of the rails. That clamp is so tight that I'm afraid I may have stretched the threads on the bolt that holds the clamp together.

Here's the saddle in question...

I too have a replacement clamp on the way, however I fear it is the same clamp with some rough coating on it. We shall see.
Also, it appears to me that this vintage of Selle Italia rails may not work very well with any of these types of clamps, not just Time. The reaason is that the rails are kind of like a diamond shaped profile, versus having flat sides. In addition, the spacing between the rails is a couple of millimteres too narrow, meaing they don't sit in the cups without a lot of force to get them in there before you even start to attach the clamps.

I am now trying a brand new Selle Italia saddle, same profile as the one in the picture, and immediately noticed that the rails have flat sides and the spacing between the rails is wider and fits in the clamp much better. I will report back when I find out how well it holds in riding.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

New clamps arrived.better and I think they fix the issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
πατα τραβα ρε

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

After 3 h low hill ride the saddle is in place so YES THEY FIX THE ISSUE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
πατα τραβα ρε

kgt

by kgt

Good news! I will try mine in the weekend.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

kgt

by kgt

Wow! Tell us more.
It needs a TIME stem

kgt

by kgt

Two hours ride today with the new saddle clamp and I can affirm that it works fine.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

That’s good to hear. I was thinking it was just the shape of the rails on the older style SLR’s so when I noticed how much better the “ears” fit around the rails on the brand new saddle I was anxious to try it out again. That was the new saddle in that pic. Unfortunately on that ride it slipped rearward a good centimeter. So took everything apart and just clamped the ears around the rails to check the problem again. Unlike the old rails, the ears fit the shape much better but when completely closed up, they just don’t seem tight enough. You can mate the surfaces of the ears by hand around the rails and the saddle will easily slide back and forth. So I added a good amount of carbon paste (the gritty stuff) to all surfaces of the ears where they meet the rails and will give it another go today.
What torque are you applying to your clamp? Can’t wait for the new clamp to arrive. So when did you guys first start complaining to TIME about this issue? I contacted them immediately, as before I even rode it I could see a potential issue and their initial reaction was something to the effect of “we haven’t heard of any issues”. Hmmm... it’s not like this frame hasn’t been out a while. I called bullshot on that.

kgt

by kgt

I did not use a torque wrench but I had to apply a lot of force in order for my SLR to stay in place. With the new 'cups' (there is no max Nm indication on it) it works fine without that much force.
Regarding the communication with TIME, I sent an email in the afternoon of April 4 and they replied the same evening:

Je suis sincèrement navré pour la gêne occasionnée par le mauvaisserrage de votre tige de selle sur votre Scylon.
Afin de pouvoir vous aider le plus rapidement possible, pourriez-vous s’il vous plait me faire parvenir quelques photos
de votre tige de selle et de votre selle ?
Les cups de serrage des rails de selle sont-elles identifiés par l’écriture « carbon rail » ?
Je vous remercie par avance pour votre coopération ainsi que pour tout l’intérêt porté à notre maque TIME.
Je vous souhaite une agréable journée.
Cordialement.

I wrote them in French, that may have mattered...

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Is your SLR saddle fairly new, with the flat sided rails, as opposed to the diamond profile that the older saddle has in the earlier pic I posted? TIME doesn’t seem to have much of a presence in the US, and while they’ve been responsive and timely, the results have not been so great. Like saying they’ve never heard of the issue with this clamp. How could they have not heard any complaints. They were unaware there is a newer clamp like you guys seem to be describing. It’s only after hearing from you guys about a better clamp that I called them back saying it appears there is an updated clamp and asked to get one that they looked into it.

kgt

by kgt

Yes, it's the 'new' one which is already several years old in terms of its design.
It looks like the guys at TIME US do not care much. TIME France are aware of the issue, obviously, that's why they responded the way they did.

ianeire

by ianeire

Le club Time, can anyone tell me anything about this generation frameset?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-04-22 at 18.50.49.png

havana

by havana

Same as mine, but with ISP like most VXR's. Problably built around 06/07.

Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com