Le club Time

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

Llanberis

by Llanberis

21 would offer a more comfortable ride due to the basalt fibre used in the weave, instead of 01's Vectran / Kevlar blend.

Here's an useful article on their difference:

http://basalt.world/en/time-expands-its ... alt-fiber/
“The Alpe d’Huez 21 is a direct descendant of the Alpe d’Huez 01. The 21 is a comfortable, energetic frame without the extra stiffness of the Alpe d’Huez 01. It’s ideal for both all-out, powerful efforts and long days in the saddle. The 21 has lots of energy and can handle whatever the road throws your way.”
Based on your descirption, it sounds like 21 could be your right choice.

par

by par

openwheelracing wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:09 pm
Few pics.
Nice bike !!! :thumbup:
Last edited by par on Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

par

by par

AJS914 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:17 pm
Is anyone ridding the Alpe d'Huez 21? Has anyone done a direct comparison to the 01?

I can get a new rim brake 21 for about $1800 shipped. It seems like a tremendous bargain on a Time frame.

I have AdH 21 and after 4000 km I can confirm is a fantastic frame, really good on descents and cornering, for me is stiff enough on climbs and sprints.

AdH 01 is stiffer and lighter but I haven't ride it to compare with AdH 21.

FredV

by FredV

AJS914 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:19 pm
1. - I don't care about the weight difference. I'm already a 195 pounder so saving 100 grams here and there isn't a huge priority.

2. - I don't need a more aggressive fit, so the 21 should work fine. The geo chart looks good. In a size Large I could probably run it without spacers. A Medium would probably fit as well with a couple of spacers.

3. - still wondering how much difference in ride there is and if anyone has ridden both.

price - that's the regular sale price at bellatisport and I wouldn't have to pay VAT. The 01 is $3050 there. I'm not sure if it's $1200 better.
I recall a test from the french paper magazine "Le Cycle" (they tested both).
They did some stiffness tests and both frame were very similar if not identical, verty similar feeling on the road, the main difference was comminig from the cheaper wheels on the 21.

openwheelracing

by openwheelracing

FredV wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:47 am
AJS914 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:19 pm
1. - I don't care about the weight difference. I'm already a 195 pounder so saving 100 grams here and there isn't a huge priority.

2. - I don't need a more aggressive fit, so the 21 should work fine. The geo chart looks good. In a size Large I could probably run it without spacers. A Medium would probably fit as well with a couple of spacers.

3. - still wondering how much difference in ride there is and if anyone has ridden both.

price - that's the regular sale price at bellatisport and I wouldn't have to pay VAT. The 01 is $3050 there. I'm not sure if it's $1200 better.
I recall a test from the french paper magazine "Le Cycle" (they tested both).
They did some stiffness tests and both frame were very similar if not identical, verty similar feeling on the road, the main difference was comminig from the cheaper wheels on the 21.

Do you have a link? I am trying to google but finding nothing.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

AJS914

by AJS914

I had found that article searching but I didn't post it because it seems like it is just reposting specs from Time's marketing.

matteof93

by matteof93

I am considering to buy an Alpe d'Huez 21 Disc frameset.
Few questions:
  • maximum tire clearance? 30/32 mm is ok...but I suspect it's 28 mm
  • size? I am 180 cm with a 90 cm inside leg, I am used to ride an endurance frame with 378 reach, 394 stack, 120 -17° stem, no spacers
  • color? I was thinking a classic black gloss with the black matte logo
  • do you know the thickness of the quickset top cap? because that thickness must be added to the stack of the frame
Size M is probably small because the seat tube is 49 cm and my saddle-bb distance is 79.4, so I'd have a lot of exposed seatpost. The 383 mm reach would be perfect, the 562 mm stack would bit a bit too low.
Size L is better because the seat tube is 52 cm, the 381 mm stack is ok and the 392 mm reach is also ok because I could simply use a 110 stem instead of a 120.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

I don't really know an any exact info about the 21 disc but I am using M-size 01 frame (178/86-87 cm).

As far I can remember someone told here 28 mm clincher with wide rim is max on disc frame. Rim brake models have tire clearance for 28 mm tires and thats actual clearance, not 28 mm clincher tire. Using 25 mm clinchers and lots of room but not that much I would run any wider tires.

This colour? Looks very nice if that is unpainted carbon, not painted full gloss black. Would also be my choice.

FredV

by FredV

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:54 pm
I had found that article searching but I didn't post it because it seems like it is just reposting specs from Time's marketing.
Both tests were on the paper magazine (that I didn't keep :( ).
They tested the 01, then the 21 some months later.

matteof93

by matteof93

Kumppa wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:06 pm
I don't really know an any exact info about the 21 disc but I am using M-size 01 frame (178/86-87 cm).

As far I can remember someone told here 28 mm clincher with wide rim is max on disc frame. Rim brake models have tire clearance for 28 mm tires and thats actual clearance, not 28 mm clincher tire. Using 25 mm clinchers and lots of room but not that much I would run any wider tires.

This colour? Looks very nice if that is unpainted carbon, not painted full gloss black. Would also be my choice.
thanks for the info. unfortunately the 21 is not available with glossy carbon finish...it is glossy black paint with the matte black logo.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

What do you think, would it be wrong to get custom non-AKTIV fork to replace original AKTIV fork for ulteam 01 model as all of these came with AKTIV? And have anyone ridded both AKTIV and non-AKTIV fork and can tell if there is any considerable difference? This bike feels really smooth for my hands to compare to other my bikes with same wheels and tires but still different frames.

The biggest problem is I don't want to cut the last 1 cm to get my stem slammed and spacer on top of the Time's stem looks odd. Secondly someone reported here about two broken AKTIV forks so this makes me think if there will be replacement forks available in future, eg. stop production of rim brake model. And of course of 250g lighter and slimmer even I still think this aktiv one looks ok. :mrgreen:

Price should be little bit over 500 € to get it custom made to match the original fork style (= matte unpainted and no TIME logo on it, max small "altitude series" text). Tbh this sounds like wasting 500 € to downgrade original build. :D

Old pic before assembly.

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

I ride active in my skylon ! The only benefit is when the road is pumping or when you go full gas in downhill ...... in my new disk frame I change to non active ( the weight saving is enough to sacrifice the comfort in downhill)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
πατα τραβα ρε

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Thanks, that short review makes me even more interested to test out normal fork. 250 g weight saving would be quite a alot as I already have some light parts on it.

Jrtyoung

by Jrtyoung

Kumppa wrote:Thanks, that short review makes me even more interested to test out normal fork. 250 g weight saving would be quite a alot as I already have some light parts on it.
Hi Mate,

I’ve got a rim brake Scylon and swapped from non-Activ to activ fork.

I didn’t have a problem w non-activ and raced road races (w gravel section), average race distance >100km. Never felt the standard fork was too stiff or a problem.

For context, I weigh 74kg/186cm so not a “heavy” rider, and my bike fit was professionally done - this is relevant cause a heavy rider w a poor fit will lean on the bars more and feel more fatigue as this is their main contact point (3x contact points are hands/feet & bottom - aim to balance across these three).

The Activ fork does feel heavier into corners, but more confident if cornering on “dead” road surfaces (eg. Snow roads). Wheel, tyre and tyre psi also play a factor.

The question could be - can you live with your bike knowing you might be missing out on the “full Time ownership experience” Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com