by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Arph

by Arph

Llanberis wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:24 am
Keeping this thread alive with a somehow related news: 3T is doing their own version of RTM frames, very interesting.

That weave looks familiar.. :) One more European-made quality frame is definitely a welcomed addtion.
Maybe 3T acquired the knowledge through THM (THM being known for using RTM) ? The weave reminds me of Clavicula crank arms.

JKolmo

by JKolmo

If one is easy the other must be difficult? Difficult Times indeed!Image

Llanberis

by Llanberis

Love the French edition! WTO wheels with white decal look really good here. :thumbup:

Perp

by Perp

Still waiting in more parts before I build - but frame is finally here!

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

Perp wrote:Image

Still waiting in more parts before I build - but frame is finally here!
Wow ! Sexy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
πατα τραβα ρε

AJS914

by AJS914

I love the blue! I'm considering getting a 21 in blue.

Perp

by Perp

AJS914 wrote:I love the blue! I'm considering getting a 21 in blue.
I started thinking of a budget build with a 21 and chorus... Then, yolo lol. I knew I'd regret not getting the 01 and Sr.

The Blue is darker than the picture suggests (in door lighting). Haven't seen it in the sun yet. I think my parts will arrive early July and can't wait!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Jrtyoung

by Jrtyoung

Llanberis wrote:Keeping this thread alive with a somehow related news: 3T is doing their own version of RTM frames, very interesting.

https://blog.3t.bike/2021/06/17365/fram ... ming-home/
With the use of dry fiber we can create more complex parts, integrating different types of fibers and add reinforcements where needed. It also gives us a perfect match between the different preforms that compose a bike frame.
With pre-impregnated carbon, you have to place the pre-formed frame into a cold mold. Otherwise, the resin starts to react as it hits the mold, before you’ve finished placing the whole frame. Then you need to heat up the mold, cure the resin, and then cool the mold down. After all that, you can start to produce the next frame.

This cycle of heating and cooling is time- and energy-intensive. That means it is also costly, both in energy consumption and because a long cycle time means you need more molds to reach a certain production volume.

When you use dry fiber, you can stick it into a hot mold and nothing happens. Then you close the mold and inject the resin, at which point the resin starts the curing process. So you can produce frame after frame without having to cool down the mold and heat it up again.
What do you guys think? Time's experience with RTM is still ahead of its competitors I think, including their unique blend of different fibres (vectran / kevlar / basalt), but perhaps it's only a matter of time other manufacturers (who want to produce quality frames obviously) catch up on this.

That weave looks familiar.. :) One more European-made quality frame is definitely a welcomed addtion.

Below is Time's own diagram of RTM process.
Thanks for sharing this @Llanberis - I recall from the Luescher Teknic Scylon review, he made a point that RTM and bladder moulding both have their pro and cons and the critical element is consistency in quality control. But RTM is does achieve a more consistent result in resin placement.

Time have a technique that achieves a more consistent product and a consistent QC process (thanks to being a lower volume maker) = safer and stronger bike.

I’m sure there are some good brands using bladder moulding out there, just hard to tell who they are cause bladder mould either be very good or very bad Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Upgraded groupset from Red22 and Quarq. Wanted to keep this bike simple without a power meter as I mostly use this for long and easy rides. No need to watch watts all the time, just enjoying how it rides. 
Last edited by Kumppa on Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Llanberis

by Llanberis

Looks lovely Kumppa! French Edition and Ulteam colourway are my favourites on Ad'H. :) How do you find the shifting by the way? I had a similar blend of set-up before (eTap + DZero), no complain and have been quite happy with it. Recently swapped the groupset with EPS and I must say the shifting performance is a huge leap forward. (Only a bit sad that I have to give up Time pedals for other PM pedals as it's my only bike and I need numbers for trainning.)

Ad'H army is dominating, where are fellow Skylon / Scylon owners? :lol:
Last edited by Llanberis on Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

In comparison mech Red22 and SR12, the biggest gain was more accurate and lighter front shifting on SR. Rear shifting is very good on both setup. Campa shifters design is more ergonomic, specially when braking from the hoods and this is a considerable advantage for my smaller size hands.  Overall noise from the full groupset is very similar on both sets, not the quietest but ok. SR brakes feel more powerful than Red22s or EE with the same pads and wheels.

Never had problems with Red22 but needed a new groupset on my training bike which had an older and not so good working Red 10 speed. Red22 with Quarq and EEs replaced it. Always wanted to try Campa so it was a good opportunity to finally try it and swap Red22 on a training bike. 

Overall feel is very positive after 1500 km, mostly from better braking, shifters ergonomic and front shifting. But if you compare price to quality ratio, Red22 would still be my choice.  :D

Lovely Scylon and MCCs. :thumbup:

maverick_1

by maverick_1

As requested,
Here you go!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Llanberis

by Llanberis

@Kumppa - Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I have also very similar experence here. The shifter lever design suits my small hands much better, and as expected, better overall braking experience. The Magura callipers also offer really good modulation here, although it seems to generate louder noise on hard descents. As for shifting, I found both eTap and EPS RD work brilliantly, with EPS being more crisp. And I love how you can really fine tune the sprocket alignment. Front shifting for me is also dramtically better as the chain just climbs up and down the ramp smoothly, something I feel eTap didn't really excel at (though it could be due to my set-up). This is also my first time on Campag and thankfully the learning curve for completing the build wasn't too intimidating as I had thought. Also hats off to Kgt for shraing his experience with EPS. My only gripe would be you can't do bar end interface with Time bar and I'm not brave enough to drill a hole like miltmaster3 did with his. :P

@maverick_1 - :thumbup: :thumbup: Thta's one mean looking machine with blackout LW's!