Le club Time

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

phzoom

by phzoom

Hello,

This is my first post on WW.

I was inspired by the discussions here (thank you @kgt and @Calnago) and by @Maverik_1's beautiful bikes, that I finally got myself a NOS VXRS Bettini edition.

I have always been attracted to the classic frames (Colnago C50, LOOK 585/595 etc..), but curently ride a Canyon Ultimate (Ultegra mechanical) and haven't assembled a bike from parts before. I was curious to what you all think.

I do ~150 miles of riding a week in Southern California - flats, rollers, and long climbs. I am not chasing the lightest or most aero spec, just want something that is a joy to ride (and look at). I plan to ride her everyday-long time.

Some key questions I am thinking about:
- Which groupset, mechanical or electronic?
- If electronic, I guess I would have to drill holes for wires, has anyone done this before? I don't want to butcher the frame.
- If mechanical, how much happier are you using 12-speed vs. 11-speed? Campagnolo vs. Shimano?
- Older wheel like the Hyperon, or newer aero wheel like the Bora WTO 45?

Appreciate any thoughts you may have!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maverick_1

by maverick_1

@phzoom,

Welcome to ww!!
Wow, a NOS Bettini! That was one of my dream bikes, congratulations on the purchase :)

I’ll go for a Mechanical groupset, a 11speed Campagnolo pre 2015 would be great I think.
The 4-arm crankset (aka post 2015) may look a tad too modern on that classic frame IMHO.

Bora ultra 35 or 50, or WTO45 should be a good match.

Cheers!

kgt

by kgt

:welcome: phzoom

I’d also go for mechanical groupset, 11speed Campagnolo pre 2015 with Bora 35 or 50 or Hyperon.

JKolmo

by JKolmo

NOS Bettini. Please share some pics!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Nice. Is that a NOS from the original era limited edition, or one of the reissues from around the 2014 time frame? For sure some pics are in order.

I’d definitely go mechanical. Don’t start bastardizing a perfectly good frame by drilling for something it was never meant for. Also would recommend avoiding 12sp Campy, as the chainstays on that frame are very short, even shorter than the 404mm chainstays on the current models. The 12sp chainline has been pushed out to better accommodate 135mm rear dropout spacing. The chainline is bad enough as it was when crossed big/big with Time’s current chainstay length of 404mm, so on your Bettini it would be even worse. I don’t really care about a small/small cross combo but the big/big is certainly something you should be able to use whenever you want without excessive noise etc. Or the inherent shifting issues from small chainring to big can be especially challenging if using EPS where the adjustment necessary combined with the automatic overshift has to be at the extreme and ends up being almost impossible to avoid the occasional chain overthrow while simulataneously being able to shift from any gear combo to any other combo.
If possible, the 10sp alloy Record group as shown in the pic in the recent previous post with Boonen would be ideal for this frame I think. But anything up to the current 11sp stuff could work.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

m4k1

by m4k1

got the hyperons today! so nice!

m4k1

by m4k1

i also want to see the NOS bettini!

JKolmo

by JKolmo

Nice!! Warning stickers off those Hyperons though...!

dgasmd

by dgasmd

m4k1 wrote:got the hyperons today! so nice!
Very nice indeed. Love those wheels. I have a set I have hardly used lately that is begging for some outside time. Smooth as butter and very comfortable. The stem and cranks really complement it well!!

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

m4k1 wrote:i also want to see the NOS bettini!
We all want to see it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
πατα τραβα ρε

phoom11

by phoom11

Thank you for the response!

The frame is the new re-issue from 2014.

I am hunting for parts now and will post photos when the build is complete. Super excited!

kgt

by kgt

Two nice recent reviews from lavelocita.cc

"If you’re the kind of person who has the means and the will to buy a $6,999 frame then all you need to hear is what makes the Alpe d’Huez special. Put simply; it’s the way they’ve built in comfort with no sacrifice to its exceptional performance. It’s a very fast bike that’s comfortable and sustainable to ride."
https://www.lavelocita.cc/la-velocita-r ... -01-review

"I’ll echo my comments above and say the Scylon is one of the finest frames I’ve ridden [...] What makes bikes like this special clicks into place when you’re hammering down a descent and carving through the corners, or thrashing along an undulating and winding road where speed and balance let you push that little bit harder and have that little bit more fun."
https://www.lavelocita.cc/la-velocita-r ... lon-review

m4k1

by m4k1

the look of the activ forks kinda gets worse and worse

dgasmd

by dgasmd

m4k1 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 1:34 pm
the look of the activ forks kinda gets worse and worse
That must be one of those personal taste things because I frankly don't even see it!! :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

Maybe he means the disc brake aktiv fork? I don't see anything wrong either.