MiloAS

by MiloAS

fxx wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 2:06 pm
MiloAS wrote:
fxx wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 2:19 am
MiloAS wrote:
Lovely frame, but why bother with a negative stem when you have that many spacers underneath it? Would it not have made more sense to cut the steerer and run a 0 degree stem instead?
Yep also lose the lay back seatpost and lengthen the stem, again a strange decision, the lay back Thomson seatpost is pants and should be avoided at all costs unless all options are exhausted.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
What's wrong with Thomson? I always though their posts were well regarded as the benchmark aluminium option? (maybe not for WW purposes though... i've got one on my 26" Rock Lobster commuter/MTB/everything bike and haven't had any problems with it.)
Sorry I meant in terms of looks for their lay back posts, not performance.

This is my Lynskey R460 with Thomson straight seatpost. Image

What a coincidence! How do you find your R460? Can you fit anything wider than a 28c? I'm on the fence between a 2018 Helix Pro Disc and R460 disc, completely undecided between the two! I can get them both for incredibly cheap in the UK as a frame. I haven't found any information on the actual difference between the two. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated, i'm tired of going back and forth!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Etienne

by Etienne

Hi,

it's been 10 years since I got this Titus Solera frame ... a second hand bargain I never ever regretted :mrgreen:

The components evolved through the years, nowadays a DA 7900 group, SRAM Red crankset, Syntace cockpit and Thomson Masterpiece seatpost ... with handbuilt 50mm tubular wheels (from chinese components ...) and Conti ProLtd tubs.

This is my summer / dry days bike ... my 2019 project will be a Ti disc bike for wet / winter days :idea:

Cheers, E

fxx

by fxx

MiloAS wrote:
fxx wrote:
MiloAS wrote:
fxx wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 2:19 am
Yep also lose the lay back seatpost and lengthen the stem, again a strange decision, the lay back Thomson seatpost is pants and should be avoided at all costs unless all options are exhausted.

What's wrong with Thomson? I always though their posts were well regarded as the benchmark aluminium option? (maybe not for WW purposes though... i've got one on my 26" Rock Lobster commuter/MTB/everything bike and haven't had any problems with it.)

What a coincidence! How do you find your R460? Can you fit anything wider than a 28c? I'm on the fence between a 2018 Helix Pro Disc and R460 disc, completely undecided between the two! I can get them both for incredibly cheap in the UK as a frame. I haven't found any information on the actual difference between the two. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated, i'm tired of going back and forth!
I got both, but frankly Lynskey Ti bikes are heavy, my R460 disc is a boat anchor at 9.3 kgs, I am not sure what I can do to lighten it, I am ordering a new Carbon Seatpost to shave 100 grams and going to do carbon bars and stem to shave another 100 grams off my current aluminum Zipp stem and bars, not sure how to shave off another kilo or so, too expensive to shave off weight part by part.

The R460 in theory is stiffer than the Helix Pro due to the TA wheelset but other wise in reality they ride very similar as I have practically the same setup for both. The new R480 may be a different beast due to diamond shaped tubes and may be lighter.

I am looking at the Litespeed T1SL disc frame set to replace my R460 disc farmeset to lighten 500 to 600 grams at one go to bring my bike to a more sane 8.5 kilos for a stock built disc brake bike, cheaper and easier and I can slowly add on more exotic WW parts later.

MiloAS

by MiloAS

fxx wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:37 pm
MiloAS wrote:
fxx wrote:
MiloAS wrote:

I got both, but frankly Lynskey Ti bikes are heavy, my R460 disc is a boat anchor at 9.3 kgs, I am not sure what I can do to lighten it, I am ordering a new Carbon Seatpost to shave 100 grams and going to do carbon bars and stem to shave another 100 grams off my current aluminum Zipp stem and bars, not sure how to shave off another kilo or so, too expensive to shave off weight part by part.

The R460 in theory is stiffer than the Helix Pro due to the TA wheelset but other wise in reality they ride very similar as I have practically the same setup for both. The new R480 may be a different beast due to diamond shaped tubes and may be lighter.

I am looking at the Litespeed T1SL disc frame set to replace my R460 disc farmeset to lighten 500 to 600 grams at one go to bring my bike to a more sane 8.5 kilos for a stock built disc brake bike, cheaper and easier and I can slowly add on more exotic WW parts later.

You might've just convinced to spend extra and go for the new iteration and save some weight for the helix pro.
I was aware they were heavy, but 9ish kg is a lot, even with that build. Regardless of weight, how do you find geo/tire clearance? Sorry for all the questions, deciding to buy from the states and pay 20% import is a significant investment.

fxx

by fxx

MiloAS wrote:
fxx wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:37 pm
MiloAS wrote:
fxx wrote:

You might've just convinced to spend extra and go for the new iteration and save some weight for the helix pro.
I was aware they were heavy, but 9ish kg is a lot, even with that build. Regardless of weight, how do you find geo/tire clearance? Sorry for all the questions, deciding to buy from the states and pay 20% import is a significant investment.
I am not sure of maximum tire clearance but I am using 25mm clinchers with no problems and looks like a 28 should be no problem.

Geometry is quick and aggressive, I do have 3cm spacers for the stem as I am no more that flexible but I do have a normal drop bend handlebar as opposed to shallow drops so that I can go low on the drops but relaxed on the hoods, best of both worlds.

I got my R460 from Chain Reaction in 2017, just wondering if Lynskey shipped all the over weight frames to them and kept the lighter ones to sell direct, my Helix Pro was bought directly from Lynskey.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Most if not all Lynskey customers are quite happy with their bikes. This is because they ride nicely, adequately stiff, and are durable. I think Lynskey has it figured out with regards to weight. If you make a Ti frame too light, either ride quality or durability will suffer, or both. My recommendation is don't go too light on a Ti frame cause either ride qualities or durability will be compromised. A lot of superlight Ti bikes have come and went. Now only the T1SL remains. Ti is really not the best material for a WW build. If you already enjoy the qualities of your existing Ti bikes I'd suggest that you keep them as is.

fxx

by fxx

pdlpsher1 wrote:Most if not all Lynskey customers are quite happy with their bikes. This is because they ride nicely, adequately stiff, and are durable. I think Lynskey has it figured out with regards to weight. If you make a Ti frame too light, either ride quality or durability will suffer, or both. My recommendation is don't go too light on a Ti frame cause either ride qualities or durability will be compromised. A lot of superlight Ti bikes have come and went. Now only the T1SL remains. Ti is really not the best material for a WW build. If you already enjoy the qualities of your existing Ti bikes I'd suggest that you keep them as is.
Speaking of durability, I am concerned with the press in bonded aluminum headset cups in current Lynskey frames, that is not a good material for the headset, what do you think?

No point having a boat anchor bomb proof Ti frame with fragile headset cups.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Are you worried about galvanic corrosion? Aluminum and titanium are dissimilar metals and don’t go well together. But all headset cups are made of aluminum and I haven’t heard of any issues with regards to headsets. So you should be Ok. Perhaps this would be a good question for Lynskey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fxx

by fxx

pdlpsher1 wrote:Are you worried about galvanic corrosion? Aluminum and titanium are dissimilar metals and don’t go well together. But all headset cups are made of aluminum and I haven’t heard of any issues with regards to headsets. So you should be Ok. Perhaps this would be a good question for Lynskey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am concerned with cracking and deformation especially at the bottom cup, also if you notice, Lynskey Ti frames have the highest percentage of aluminum in the frames, headset cups, flat mount hardware on the stays, insert sleeve on the seat tube and the thru axle hardware are all aluminum.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I've noticed that too and I don't know the reason. Perhaps that's a good question for Lynskey.

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

Ti allroad. Few grams below 7,4kg with everything (and alloy wheelset, 32c tire with tube). Already changed the headset for a Slamset one. The frame is a Kinesis ATR v1, any alloy part on it and despit the big chainstays/headtube, 57cm size, 1517g.

Etienne

by Etienne

jeanjacques wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 9:36 am
Ti allroad. Few grams below 7,4kg with everything (and alloy wheelset, 32c tire with tube). Already changed the headset for a Slamset one. The frame is a Kinesis ATR v1, any alloy part on it and despit the big chainstays/headtube, 57cm size, 1517g.
Very nice bike, Jean-Jacques ... my 2nd Ti bike will be similar in concept :wink:

What 32c tires are you using on this bike ?

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

I finished a pair of Compass extralight and now with Veloflex Master 28c, the price of the Compass is too high but at the end of the Veloflex I think I will go back to the Stampede Pass.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

jeanjacques wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:56 pm
I finished a pair of Compass extralight and now with Veloflex Master 28c, the price of the Compass is too high but at the end of the Veloflex I think I will go back to the Stampede Pass.
How wide do you need? Grand Bois Cypres EL (i.e. as a set from Libertecycles.nl) could be an option. BTW those are GB Col del la Madeleine 23mm EL on my bike above.